• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Catch disc for learning forehand?

krooster

Birdie Member
What's a good disc that a general audience (i.e. non disc golfers) will be fine with using for playing a casual game of catch, but that also requires similar forehand form as throwing a typical disc golf putter or mid?

Reason I ask is because I have an excellent forehand with an ultimate disc, but for me that hasn't translated at all into disc golf. Not sure if it's the smaller diameter or different rim shape, but I can't throw a golf disc the same way and get a smooth release.

I suspect something like a glitch/sonic/polecat/rattler might do the trick, but I don't have experience with those types of discs.

The best solution would probably be to do forehand field work, gradually increasing distance, but that will have to wait a decade or so for my daughter to grow up and give me more free time. Until then I want so spend my alone time on the course.

I suspect something like a glitch/sonic/polecat/rattler might do the trick, but I don't have experience with those types of discs.

Those are all great choices. The one piece of advice I'd give you as a person who plays a lot of catch is to definitely make sure you get one in soft plastic, that will make playing catch easier and safer on the hands/fingers. I play catch with a soft elite X banger and a soft R Pro Rhyno which are my main approach discs. I've found the banger is an easy putter to forehand due to the thumb track and lower profile, same with Rhyno.

I think the Envy is better than the "catch" style discs since it you start neutral you add angles from there.

If you put any snap on most of those they will need a hyzer.

This is an interesting thread to me because I came from ultrastars and my flick has always been decently clean because of it.

I don't flick mids, but for putters I do have to change my grip compared to drivers/ultrastars. For non putters my palm is more facing the target, but for putters I have to rotate my hand so that palm is more facing skyward, this helps keep the disc from getting caught on the meat of my hand between my thumb and index and coming out wobbly.

Glitch is a solid recommendation and a good hybrid between something like a Polecat/US and a golf disc.

I picked up a pair of Glitches and they ARE as smooth as glass for playing catch with. Just a flick and the 7 glide carries them impressively far. I was parking approaches under the basket all day. We were told when we bought them that they "can't forehand". We tried. We couldn't get them to forehand like our regular golf discs. That may be just us because of the very light weight.

glitch can definitely work for this. I found 200' and in shots it flew true to the numbers. I didn't try to push it past that fh.

A max weight alternative is the r-pro dart. used to play catch with one and they can be pushed past 200' fh / 300' bh for me without much hyzer needed.

I can fh a glitch about 130' safely and my Fh is garbage, BH i can almost push 200'.

FWIW for on course play something like a comet or uplink should be a reasonable transition disc for an ultimate flick, maybe a wombat but that's from a HOF old school dude I don't own one. Wombats and super puppies he sez :D

Moose is right, get a soft envy

Last edited:
Comets flick surprisingly well and wouldn't be too big a jump from Ultimate. I'm not sure you can find them easily enough in softer plastics these days so may not be the best catch disc however

I think the Envy is better than the "catch" style discs since it you start neutral you add angles from there.

If you put any snap on most of those they will need a hyzer.

I'm a fan of the envy for upshot's FH or BH.

An SSSS warlock might be a good catch disc.

Alpas is a soft floppy thats easy to catch, doesn't hurt when you catch, and let's you practice that neutral shot.

Do you actually want to use it to play catch with someone to practice? Or just looking for a "catch style" disc, as a first step in transitioning between Ultrastars and disc golf drivers?

If you want to actually play catch, any of the lid-style discs you mentioned before would be OK if you pick them up in a lighter weight. I randomly picked up a lightweight (~150g) Lightning Upshot disc at PIAS last year just because it felt like a fun, goofy disc. Turns out to be an awesome disc for playing catch, it's like halfway between a disc golf putter and a regular catch frisbee.

The floppiest golf disc I have is the Factory Store Pro Coupe. (even floppier than a 4S Wizard) Can't speak to if it forehands, my forehand is useless and the disc is understable. Not like Frisbee understable but you probably can't rip on it full power FH.

Things like the Gumbputt and Blowfly probably catch well too for "golf" discs. Again no guarantees on if they forehand.

Alpas is a soft floppy thats easy to catch, doesn't hurt when you catch, and let's you practice that neutral shot.
something floppy isn't great for forehand tho.
also elevation makes something similar: koi (buy american.)
i would recommend the glitch as the best all around catch disc

All the guys I know that used to play ultimate seem to do really well with the Rattler for touch, and the Berg for power. According to them the Rattler's a miniature ultimate disc, and there's similarity in how the Berg grips. I can't throw either worth a crap because of their shapes, so maybe there's something to that?

I personally think the best starter forehand disc is one of the shallow 3/4-speed Approach-class putters: Suspect, Shaman, Classic Roc, etc. (stuff shallower than "regular" putters, so not a Harp).
They're easier to release cleanly because of the shallowness and they're not as easy to overpower; you can really focus on getting spin, which is the trick with FHs