• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catch Discs

I picked up an Utrastar for kicks, but then went out and bought the smaller Ultrastar Junior. Both fun.

For some reason the junior seems to lack some of that Ultrastar glide. Discraft's freestyle disc (Sky-Styler), right around 160g, is a little better as a catch disc although not a ton lighter.

For some reason the junior seems to lack some of that Ultrastar glide. Discraft's freestyle disc (Sky-Styler), right around 160g, is a little better as a catch disc although not a ton lighter.

Still more glide than a polecat or some other disc golf disc, right?

Also more catchable. If they are playing ultimate, i suggest the Ultrastar or the junior version.

From a throwing perspective, the Super Sonic is much more comfortable than the Super Hero, being smaller in both height and diameter. For reference, it fits perfectly inside the Super Hero and feels very much like throwing a putter.

My wife uses Super Heros with our Border Collie, while I always use Super Sonics. They require more spin and cleaner form, but I can easily get them past 200 feet. I absolutely love them.

Does it need to be pdga legal? I just ordered box of fastbacks for Aspen (dog), super floaty/glidey, super flippy, nice hyzer pop with a little wrist flick easy up to like 100'. The only reason this might be a real consideration is if cost is an issue. $1.80 per disc vs $18 per disc. A box of 50 misprints from dtworld was under $100 and now Aspen has Frisbees to last the rest of his life, and I'm not concerned about him dropping it in a pond or leaving it behind.

My brother and I usually play catch before we play. We just grab one of our putters - SuperSoft Warlock (him) or XT Stud (me).

Kong has a soft dog disc that I have thrown at a dog park. It flew really nicely but unfortunately I did not note which one it was.

Still more glide than a polecat or some other disc golf disc, right?

Also more catchable. If they are playing ultimate, i suggest the Ultrastar or the junior version.

Idk, I think the fact that polecats/zephyrs actually have stability unlike an ultrastar actually makes them more glidey when thrown correctly.

For example a low speed, high spin anhyzer will begin to pull out with a zephyr/polecat. You can make really crazy lines that end in a slow, catchable manner like this. With an ultrastar... it will just hold that anhyzer and spike out. In otherwords with a zephyr/polecat you always have that tiny bit of stability to play off of to help you get a catchable end to the flightpath of your throw that just isn't available with an ultrastar.

That is an extreme case but even in more normal throws I don't think an ultrastar is actually more glidey than a polecat/zephyr, its just slower for its entire flight vs slow for its end of flight. Take a look at the flight numbers of the rattler, people describe that as flying like an ultrastar (it is shaped like a mini one as well) and it doesnt have that high of a glide numbers wise (3).

Last edited:
Does it need to be pdga legal? I just ordered box of fastbacks for Aspen (dog), super floaty/glidey, super flippy, nice hyzer pop with a little wrist flick easy up to like 100'. The only reason this might be a real consideration is if cost is an issue. $1.80 per disc vs $18 per disc. A box of 50 misprints from dtworld was under $100 and now Aspen has Frisbees to last the rest of his life, and I'm not concerned about him dropping it in a pond or leaving it behind.

I would need them to fly 200+ feet accurately. Either as a sprinting tool, let them sprint and go catch it or a disc used in small games of Ulitmate frisbee. They would not be used to play disc golf.

Latest posts