• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Coast Disc Golf - CCDG vids

No love. I tried to install Windows on the other drive, but it failed. Getting pretty ****in frustrated. I have a mSata to USB coming on Monday. I'll see if i can get what data I need off it, and then I'm sending it in to get warranty repaired. Sigh...

Assuming I can get the data off, I have 4 videos ready to go, and can finish the edits on my old laptop or iMac. If not I'll have to re-record some commentaries.

Sorry to hear that, but don't give up yet.

When you changed the boot sequence in the bios, did you make sure the cd/dvd drive boots before the good hard drive?

If so, try this:

Physically remove the "bad" drive and move the other drive into it's drive bay.

If the good drive is empty or doesn't have anything you need, reformat it as your c: boot drive.

Now try to install Windows on that drive, it should work.

Then when you get the usb drive case, install the bad drive in the case. Boot up your lappy before you connect the usb drive.

After the lappy is booted up, connect the usb drive. Then scan it for viruses. If that works ok, try to get your files off of it.

Sorry to hear that, but don't give up yet.

When you changed the boot sequence in the bios, did you make sure the cd/dvd drive boots before the good hard drive?

If so, try this:

Physically remove the "bad" drive and move the other drive into it's drive bay.

If the good drive is empty or doesn't have anything you need, reformat it as your c: boot drive.

Now try to install Windows on that drive, it should work.

Then when you get the usb drive case, install the bad drive in the case. Boot up your lappy before you connect the usb drive.

After the lappy is booted up, connect the usb drive. Then scan it for viruses. If that works ok, try to get your files off of it.

Yeah I changed the boot order. I ended up getting a mSata to USB, I tried that, and it would only read one of the 3 256 gb flash drives, and that one it wanted for format before I could use it. So that failed :(

I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause. I think the SSD's died.

Sorry to hear about the hardware troubles. Hang in there. To provide a little extra support, I just boosted my Patreon contribution.

Thanks Tony!

Just caught this. I do this kind of stuff all day long. Got a bunch of tricks that I use;

You might try double bagging the HD in ziplocs then throwing it in the freezer over night. Have usb dock plugged into a windows PC and the PC booted. Take the HD out of the freezer and drop it into the dock. As soon as it mounts, go in and see what you can recover. Work quickly as the drive may only be readable for a short time.

I would try a Linux boot CD for file retrieval. They will often pull files that windows can't read. Mint Linux is a good general distribution or you can run something like Falcon's Ultimate Boot CD that has a bunch of tools in a XP virtual environment running in Linux. Falcon's is definitely a IT tool and can be intimidating for a casual user.

If the HD is 50OGB or smaller, Spinrite from Gibson Research is a great tool for pulling data out of a damaged but functional hard drive. I had a customer who had a hard drive full of family pictures that failed. I hooked it up to a PC that I use strictly for hard drive work. Spinrite ran on it for over a week until it completed. In the end I was able to recover about 90% of the pics. Much better than a total loss.

Last edited:
Crap.. I didn't catch it was an SSD. Ideas 1 & 3 will only work on conventional drives so don't attempt those.

The other possibility is if he has some kind of auto cloud backup service but it sounds like he doesn't. To me, the best practice is still cloning drives regularly, especially the boot drive. Then when there's a problem you just swap out the bad with the good and you're up and running again in a few minutes.

At this point it might be a good idea to start a new thread(s) asking for tech help from someone in the LA area. There has to be dg'ers that would gladly help for free. If I lived there I would do it no problem.

Crap.. I didn't catch it was an SSD. Ideas 1 & 3 will only work on conventional drives so don't attempt those.

Will option two work with 3 SSD's in RAID 0? that's what I'm dealing with. When I plugged them into the mSata to USB adapter only one of them was even recognized, and it wanted me to format it before I could do anything with it.

So frustrated :(

Might just take the SSD's to a data recovery place.

Ooh raid 0...thats going to be tough. 0 is great for write speeds but it's the worst for data recovery because every file is spread across all the drives

You might just wanna bring them if you are dealing with a RAID 0 setup. That is really going to complicate things for any sort of normal recovery tool.

You can get the same read speeds on a RAID 5 setup - which is the normal bottleneck for video editing - plus your data gets backed up.

Not that it helps now of course... but something to think about for the future.

Ooh raid 0...thats going to be tough. 0 is great for write speeds but it's the worst for data recovery because every file is spread across all the drives

You might just wanna bring them if you are dealing with a RAID 0 setup. That is really going to complicate things for any sort of normal recovery tool.

You can get the same read speeds on a RAID 5 setup - which is the normal bottleneck for video editing - plus your data gets backed up.

Not that it helps now of course... but something to think about for the future.

Yeah it's not good :( I just took it in to a data recovery place. We'll see what happens. I don't have high hopes.

Thanks so much guys! :hfive:

Finished the first cam edit on the Rico/McBeth match. Should be able to get that done this week sometime. :thmbup:

I'm from the future! Your laptop is about to crash! You're going to lose all of this work unless you back it up... and quick. You're welcome... now back to the future...

Can't help with the doom and gloom hardware stuff...

But I did manage to play both La Mirada courses as well as both Perry Championship courses while out in So Cal this past week. Great courses! At La Mirada, I found a CCDG California mini marker. No name or number was present, so I'm definitely keeping it! ;)

It's always more fun watching the tournaments after playing the courses; so I'm rewatching some SoCal championships and the End of the Trail classic. Thanks again for the videos.

Yeah it's not good :( I just took it in to a data recovery place. We'll see what happens. I don't have high hopes.

I think you'll be happy with what they can recover. It will be interesting to see what they find happened to the drives too. You may not like the cost though, data recovery can be pricey. Good luck!

Can't help with the doom and gloom hardware stuff...

But I did manage to play both La Mirada courses as well as both Perry Championship courses while out in So Cal this past week. Great courses! At La Mirada, I found a CCDG California mini marker. No name or number was present, so I'm definitely keeping it! ;)

It's always more fun watching the tournaments after playing the courses; so I'm rewatching some SoCal championships and the End of the Trail classic. Thanks again for the videos.

Haha nice! My buddy Derek played it Sunday with some Innova guys. I bet he or one of them left it out there. Enjoy it!

It's always more fun to watch videos of courses you've played. :thmbup:

NP! Just wish I could get this computer **** fixed to bust out more videos!

I think you'll be happy with what they can recover. It will be interesting to see what they find happened to the drives too. You may not like the cost though, data recovery can be pricey. Good luck!

I would be soooo happy if they get anything off those drives.

Yeah it's not going to be cheap :(

Haha nice! My buddy Derek played it Sunday with some Innova guys. I bet he or one of them left it out there. Enjoy it!

It's always more fun to watch videos of courses you've played. :thmbup:

NP! Just wish I could get this computer **** fixed to bust out more videos!

I would be soooo happy if they get anything off those drives.

Yeah it's not going to be cheap :(

Maybe we can get some kind of donation fund started to help the cause I'm willing to help out.

The other possibility is if he has some kind of auto cloud backup service but it sounds like he doesn't. To me, the best practice is still cloning drives regularly, especially the boot drive. Then when there's a problem you just swap out the bad with the good and you're up and running again in a few minutes.

At this point it might be a good idea to start a new thread(s) asking for tech help from someone in the LA area. There has to be dg'ers that would gladly help for free. If I lived there I would do it no problem.

I'm in Orange County and I'd be happy to help.

Will option two work with 3 SSD's in RAID 0? that's what I'm dealing with. When I plugged them into the mSata to USB adapter only one of them was even recognized, and it wanted me to format it before I could do anything with it.

So frustrated :(

Might just take the SSD's to a data recovery place.

I've never tried Spinrite on an SSD. I did some internet searching and found someone who has used it on an SSD successfully. RAID Configuration shouldn't be a problem as long as the drive can be recognized by the BIOS. Format is not important. I've used it to repair the drive out of my DVR and a friend's X-Box.

I'm willing to give it a try if you're interested. I'm in Orange County.

Last edited:
That's what happens when I post before I read the thread completely.

Data recovery will be your best bet as long as you are prepared to pay for it.

Good luck with it.

Well, I got it back today. One of the SSDs was bad. He was able to save some stuff, but it looks like the commentary files are corrupted :( 200 bucks down the drain. Hey at least my Fantasy football team made the Championships, that should pay for that lol.

He installed windows in the mechanical drive so I'm up and running.

Good news is the 2 videos I was personally working on are backup up on Youtube. I'll just have to re-do some commentary. Hopefully Paul is down.

Now to reinstall everything, and get back to work...

Latest posts