• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion katana vs. G-star shryke

Evan27

Bogey Member
Going to buy a long distance driver soon and primarily use it for BH. I can throw a champ destroyer and get slight turn out of it, however it finishes with strong fade. I'd like something that would finish straight. Between -2 and -3 I imagine is the sweet spot. Katana is -3 but in champ is more stable, and Shryke is -2 but with G-star would be more US. Primarily I don't want to get something that would turn and burn. Which of these discs works best for me?

Katanas turn fairly easily, but have a bit of a strong fade. If you want something to finish straight-ish you don't want a Katana. Shryke, Corvette, Tern, or Daedalus might be a better option.

Keep in mind though that any high speed driver is going to have at least some fade.

If you want absolute max distance a Katana or Corvette will probably be your best bet from an Innova standpoint.

I want to get a katana. Something about seeing my friend rip a star katana super far was amazing, but I'm probably better suited for the shryke.

A g star katana seems like something that's going to turn and burn

I want to get a katana. Something about seeing my friend rip a star katana super far was amazing, but I'm probably better suited for the shryke.

A g star katana seems like something that's going to turn and burn

See if you can find both. Go to a shop that sells used discs and look around. Katanas and Shrykes are both super common and won't be expensive.

G* Katanas can be good, but they're inconsistent. I'd look for a star Katana with a good dome. Whichever mold you decide on, avoid anything that's flat. Flat drivers don't glide well.

G* Corvette is consistently the longest driver I've ever thrown.

Like you said, I'm surprised more people haven't figured it out.

The battle goes back and forth for me, only because I found some domey Destinys that are super long without burning. If I had to pick though, it would be the G* Corvette.

The battle goes back and forth for me, only because I found some domey Destinys that are super long without burning. If I had to pick though, it would be the G* Corvette.

The Destiny is probably as long as a G* Corvette, but way more finicky. I'd say the same thing about the gold line Knight. Too flippy, but you'll get 1/10 throws that's absolutely magical.

G* Corvette is consistently the longest driver I've ever thrown.

Like you said, I'm surprised more people haven't figured it out.

I've refrained from buying one this long! I'm going to throw my Cannons until they run out. In X years I'll believe this post and buy a nice, domey, Gstar Corvette and think of you;)

I did just ditch about 5 of them because they're leeching an insane amount. Opaque stock stamp Pinnacle, light blue and 167ish. Shame.

I've refrained from buying one this long! I'm going to throw my Cannons until they run out. In X years I'll believe this post and buy a nice, domey, Gstar Corvette and think of you;)

I did just ditch about 5 of them because they're leeching an insane amount. Opaque stock stamp Pinnacle, light blue and 167ish. Shame.

I've only thrown 1 really good Cannon. Pinnacle, 175g. It's an old disc, probably 10 years or so. The thing smashes. Probably not quite G* Corvette long, but still a bomber.

All the Cannons and Rampages I've seen since haven't been close in terms of performance. Most of the time they're too flat and glideless. Honestly, I'd get a Relativity before a Cannon.

Yes. GStar Corvette is the correct answer. I am the only person I have ever witnessed, in person, utilizing this cheat code and it makes me sad :-(

Gstar corvette was what I ended up ordering. For all the people saying it does distance really well compared to other discs, it is hard to deny it's place in my bag. Thanks for the enlightenment. Looking forward to giving it a few tosses when it arrives on Saturday.

Gstar corvette was what I ended up ordering. For all the people saying it does distance really well compared to other discs, it is hard to deny it's place in my bag. Thanks for the enlightenment. Looking forward to giving it a few tosses when it arrives on Saturday.

You have chosen.... wisely.

What weight did you end up getting? My go-to has been a 175 but I just recently scooped a 166 and a 171 (and a Pro and splatter star for good measure). Winter has prevented me from throwing any of them, so I have nothing to add about those. The 175 is fantastic, I know that much. It just has an extra gear that pretty much every other disc I've thrown in my life doesn't have (besides possibly the Lace I just got and thrown a few times in the field). The Vette also has never gotten too flippy for me. It's, dare I say, controllable even. I'm experimenting with moving to lower weights overall (winter and elevation) but it will be hard to boot the 175.

I went 171. Partly bc I throw drivers best one notch beneath 175 and also because the color was nice!

My sweet spot for the big D is 168-172g, isn't that weird? It's funny how I feel like I've proved this to myself with rigor.

I'll throw 175g of a different disc into a headwind. But if it's not a headwind I like the sub 175g drivers to go farthest.

Curious to hear the results on this...

Last edited: