• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion TeeBird with the DX Circle Totum Pole stamp!

There is no glow mold or cfr mold

Layered thermosets such as polyurethane has to cured/vulcanized at specific temperatures resulting in polymers which need specific molds to be injected to otherwise it does not set correctly. There are many different machines used, with interchangeable injection base mold templates sets based on the temperature of the injection some self cure some do not. This is what results in the plh everyone complains about when new/alternative mixtures in introduced or not available in supply when they receive stock from their supplier, or the supply costs way to much because most of the chemical and baseline stocks have been off shored since the mid 90's or the plant that makes a certain type is no longer in business from off shoring.

When a disc cools is another story.

What do I know, I'm just an chemical engineer.

Oh and claiming you know exactly what molds Innova has and doesn't have... is almost as ludicrous as thinking you know everything about the dome/stamping physics.

I'm friends with someone who knows Mark Molnar well, so yes, I know what I'm talking about in regards to the stamping process on discs and the Teebird mold specifically (which is one of the only discs I hoard).

Oh yea... I forgot the only thing that gives a disc the dome is the stamp on the disc(lol). That's why blank discs are so domey and stamped discs are so flat(lol)! I remember seeing on here once that Ching Rocs were so flat because they had a big full circle stamp they used... Oh wait, these TBs have big full circle stamps. Flawed logic is flawed.

1) It's called a FULL COLOR stamp on the Chings, and it's completely different from the CIRCLE totem stamp. There's no such thing as a "big full circle" Ching stamp, you just made that up.

2)You lack severly in reading comprehension skills. I said nothing about the size of the stamp being imperative to the flatness of the disc. I also said nothing about the stamp being the only thing that makes a disc domey or flat. The type of plastic and the cooling process are probably the other two main factors related to disc dome or flatness but since stamps are applied last, they are the biggest factor. Think about it.

What do I know, I'm just an chemical engineer.

Your parents must be so proud. But what do I know? I'm just a college dropout with a collection of well over 1,000 discs.

Last edited:
I'll take the Chemical Engineer over the disc collecting college drop out.

Any bets? :D

I have no clue, but the I have a friend that knows someone story sounds kind of shakey. I think we need Mythbusters in on this one.

all i know is...my cock and balls are HUGE! ....but enough of that ....has anyone seen a white stamp yet..?

Tbird888 is the only one making any sense here. What is up with every talking about "glow molds", CFR molds, etc. in this thread?

Innova uses the same mold for all Champ Teebirds (non plus molds obviously), there is no "glow mold" or "CFR mold". The dome and/or flatness of the disc is relative to the amount of time the stamp is applied. More time applying stamp equals flatter disc, pretty obvious isn't it??? This is why the first run of Glow Gators were flatter, and the later ones were more domey. They start cranking them out to meet demand, and they're not going to waste time applying the stamps.

This site is full of so much misinformation it makes my head spin.

What about the Ching Rocs being flat topped? Didn't that stamping process alter their flight?
the stamping/decal process didn't alter their flight.... going through a flattening machine to prep for the decal process, now THAT changed them a lot.

For the record, my comment about Innova physically doing something to make a mold as flat as 11X/glow Firebirds and CFR PDs is fully because of these comments in this thread. According to Zam, Ching Rocs are as flat as they are because they were run through a separate machine to flatten them in preparation for their stamp. I foolishly assumed that the Firebirds were run through this same machine to flatten them (same for the CFR PDs).

While I don't want to butt heads with a chemical engineer, especially one with such an honest disclaimer in his signature, I recently bought some of the "bright as the moon" (absolutely not much of a glower in my tests) Evo Wizards from Gateway. They look (and feel) to me to be from the same exact current tooling mold as the other 100+ non-glow Wizards I have with that same tooling. I really don't see how Innova cites cost of replacement as one of the reasons why they won't have a new Pirahna mold made, but they'll spend the money to make a glow-specific mold for a disc that sells well but is essentially a utility disc that isn't thrown regularly during a round and lasts forever so it doesn't sell nearly as well as many of their other established molds. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If the flatness isn't caused by a machine, notroman makes the most sense to me (despite my devil's advocacy to his reply). He recently dealt with Dave Mac at Gateway doing the group order of the G9i reruns, and those are renowned to be the flattest (and best) Wizards ever run, because of the plastic. They are just as flat as the originals so that argument at least holds some water. However the Evo Glows I recently picked up have larger domes than any Wizard I've ever seen. While I think Innova IS doing something to make those discs so flat, I think the plastic is the biggest factor.

Myth- these are current run teebirds.

Confirmed
FTFY :(

I'll say it one more time. At least when I try to sound smart, I put a warning in front of it saying 'unless I'm mistaken'. I guess some people aren't smart enough to realize they're not as smart as they think. You obviously A. Think in black and white or B. Refuse to listen to anything but what Mike Molnar says. Because if you think the time the stamp is put on the disc is the only thing that makes a difference, you should really stop trying to look so smart.

Wait a minute. Did you just say because the stamping process is the last process, it is the thing that alters it the most? Yea... Because A and B don't matter if C comes last. And LOL at the college dropout saying I have reading comprehension skills.

Please, do yourself a favor and stop trying to sound so smart, it seems like you're sorta hurting yourself. I'm really not that interested in arguing with someone over the forums about what gives a dome to the disc, or whether or not the stamping process affects the dome more than anything else.

I was hoping to log on this morning and see more totem pics :\

Post 'em up!

Mine got stuffed into my mailbox this morning. Pink with a gold stamp and plum with blue. Hard to do justice to how BRIGHT this pink one is with a picture.

birds.jpg

I think the white stamp doesn't exist. I ordered mine pretty early on and requested a white stamp. The picture on the website is heavily edited, so I'm guessing the stamp was silver or gold and got blown out in the light they took the picture in.

Mine got stuffed into my mailbox this morning. Pink with a gold stamp and plum with blue. Hard to do justice to how BRIGHT this pink one is with a picture.

I think the white stamp doesn't exist. I ordered mine pretty early on and requested a white stamp. The picture on the website is heavily edited, so I'm guessing the stamp was silver or gold and got blown out in the light they took the picture in.

i thought the same thing. it looks silver with light reflection.

Wow. I just got out and threw this, even into a stiff 10-15 MPH headwind these things are OS. Thankfully the moderate dome on them gives them enough glide to keep going and going. I throw mostly TLs for fairways, so these will be a good overstable compliment.

I ordered 2 yesterday and I wish i payed attention to the comment thingy on requesting certain colors. :doh:
Hopefully they randomly send me anything but blue and yellow. Pink and bright green would be first choice... we'll see what colors after my mailman tacos them and crams them in a 150° black mailbox!

Latest posts