• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Classic aviar

Here are some comparisons of the current runs of the Avair P&a and the Grid Stamp Avair:

I have only been playing for a short while and I am not versed in all things Avair history.

The Avair P&A has a lower shoulder with a flatter top than the Grid Avair.

The Grid Avair has a slight upward flight plate. Just a little rise not domey.

The PLH on the P&A is just slightly higher than the Grid Avair.

The wing or edge of the disc (where it fits the hand) has an angled edge like a Mako, Skeeter, or Dart.

While the Grid Avair has a slight bevel/curve on its edge.

Plastic wise the Avair P&A feels like DX plastic that is moderately firm but, not overly stiff.

The Grid Avair is a very firm feeling plastic, the flight plate is more solid. This disc doesn't give too easily when it is flexed from the edge to edge like a taco.

I will try to snap some profile pics and post them tomorrow. Hope this helps.

Clearly. It's spelled Aviar.

I actually stumbled upon my current putter, the classic aviar, while buying some practice putters for my dad. I noticed they were only $7 or so at Wal-Mart so I grabbed 4 and I haven't looked back. The stiffer plastic offers a clean release, and as many have already mentioned, it flies incredibly straight. A few of my roommates started out with the PnA, but then later switched when they tried my classic aviar. Personally, I feel it all comes down to personal preference. If you enjoy a bit softer plastic go with the PnA, but if you like a firmer disc I'd highly recommend the classic.

I actually stumbled upon my current putter, the classic aviar, while buying some practice putters for my dad. I noticed they were only $7 or so at Wal-Mart so I grabbed 4 and I haven't looked back. The stiffer plastic offers a clean release, and as many have already mentioned, it flies incredibly straight. A few of my roommates started out with the PnA, but then later switched when they tried my classic aviar. Personally, I feel it all comes down to personal preference. If you enjoy a bit softer plastic go with the PnA, but if you like a firmer disc I'd highly recommend the classic.

Philo uses Classic Aviars, usually yellow ones, for his putting. I've got a couple, they are good putting putters. I use them if and when I take an "all-DX" bag to the course.

Wow, good thread to necro!

I found the classics about a year ago and can't be happier. It's more straight than a p&a for sure, fades forward instead of left (not that p&a has a ton of fade.) the stiffer plastic is still grippy but comes out clean. For throwing they are great for tunnel shots, and hold moderate hyzer and anhyzer lines really well.

Overall ots my favorite putter by far.

I like the classics flight and feel the best. They are so smooth coming out of my hand. I use them all summer when temps are higher. I can't get a good grip on them when it gets cold though so I switch to the DX PnA. Then when it gets REALLY cold the XT comes out.

Anyone compared the Classic Aviar to the RPro Aviar P&A? If so, can you compare the grip of each and if you can tell any difference at all in the flight path when putting from 60 feet and in? (I'll only be using it for putting)

I have been struggling a bit with my putting using the Deputy (Classic Blend), Pure (Zero Line Med), and 174g Ringer (D-Line)....and a little better than with those with my P2 (D-Line). Today I spent a lot of time on my putting and had good results with the Aviar Classic (DX) 175g and my son's 165g Ringer (D-Line). I would like to find something that has the grippiness of the D-Line (from Discraft) or the Classic Blend (from DD), but with the shape of the Aviar Classic. I thought it was the super thinness of the Ringer I liked but I think with that disc (the 165g version) it's the combination of the thinness with the lighter weight. The Aviar Classic seems to work well at 175g...just wish it was a bit more tacky feeling.

I'm thinking the Aviar P&A in RPro might be the disc that offers a good combination of both.

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

Today I spent a lot of time on my putting and had good results with the Aviar Classic (DX) 175g...

...The Aviar Classic seems to work well at 175g...just wish it was a bit more tacky feeling.

If you like the Classic Aviar and just wish it had better grip, all you have to do is keep putting/throwing it. I have some Classic Aviars that have seen thousands of putts and they have great grip especially compared to fresh ones. It doesn't even take thousands of putts; I refreshed my stack of putters about two months ago and they are already feeling like fresh Classic Blend.

If you have some sort of winter putting league near you, join that. Or even if you don't, spend the winter using a stack of Classic Aviars to work on your putting, even if it is in your garage or living room. Come springtime, one or both of the following will be true: you will have become a better putter, and/or you will have a stack of nicely worked-in Classic Aviars ready for the new season.

Anyone compared the Classic Aviar to the RPro Aviar P&A? If so, can you compare the grip of each and if you can tell any difference at all in the flight path when putting from 60 feet and in? (I'll only be using it for putting)

I have been struggling a bit with my putting using the Deputy (Classic Blend), Pure (Zero Line Med), and 174g Ringer (D-Line)....and a little better than with those with my P2 (D-Line). Today I spent a lot of time on my putting and had good results with the Aviar Classic (DX) 175g and my son's 165g Ringer (D-Line). I would like to find something that has the grippiness of the D-Line (from Discraft) or the Classic Blend (from DD), but with the shape of the Aviar Classic. I thought it was the super thinness of the Ringer I liked but I think with that disc (the 165g version) it's the combination of the thinness with the lighter weight. The Aviar Classic seems to work well at 175g...just wish it was a bit more tacky feeling.

I'm thinking the Aviar P&A in RPro might be the disc that offers a good combination of both.

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

What SaROCaM said. I will add that while going through a number of putters is normal, at some point ya gotta decide on something and then go practice the heck out of it. the good news is you get to have fun throwing discs at baskets during the process.

If you like the Classic Aviar and just wish it had better grip, all you have to do is keep putting/throwing it.

If you have some sort of winter putting league near you, join that. Or even if you don't, spend the winter using a stack of Classic Aviars to work on your putting, even if it is in your garage or living room.

That sounds great!!!

As I've mentioned in several posts, an F2 tornado completely destroyed my closest course, but luckily the putting area wasn't touched so I've got all Winter and a close by (about 20 minutes) place to practice!

I appreciate the advice!

I will add that while going through a number of putters is normal, at some point ya gotta decide on something and then go practice the heck out of it. the good news is you get to have fun throwing discs at baskets during the process.

Thanks for making me feel like this is a normal process! Yea, even if just putting, see a disc rattle the chains is always a great feeling!

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

I'll throw in that if you like the feel of a Classic Aviar but want a little bit grippier plastic, an SS or Eraser Gateway Warlock would be an option. An R Pro Aviar is going to be floppy soft, which might not be what you are looking for.

I'd just keep throwing the Classic Aviar, though. The Warlock feels similar in the hand but it is beefier in flight.

This thread is funny since I ask a bunch of questions I know the answer to now. I guess I hadn't found any Classic Aviars in 2014? I've got a few now. They got close to making my bag but got cut in favor of Warlocks. Warlocks have big bead Aviar beef with the beadless smooth release. I can't figure out why more people don't throw them.

If I couldn't get Warlocks I'd be using Classic Aviars. Or maybe Wizards. Damn, there are too many good putters out there!

I will add that while going through a number of putters is normal, at some point ya gotta decide on something and then go practice the heck out of it.

This is true. It is a process of finding a putter that feels good and shows promising results, and then putting in the work to get really comfortable, confident, and consistent with that putter. The latter is what pays big dividends, though feeling like you have the right putter for you may play a significant part in motivating you to put in the work.

This is true. It is a process of finding a putter that feels good and shows promising results, and then putting in the work to get really comfortable, confident, and consistent with that putter. The latter is what pays big dividends, though feeling like you have the right putter for you may play a significant part in motivating you to put in the work.
When I started playing, for putters there was the Aviar and...the Aviar? The 86 Softie was around and you could putt with an Aero or a lid, but the Aviar was pretty much far and away the #1 putter almost everybody used. I hated it. It was so deep. I couldn't grip it, it felt terrible in my hand. I tried every other option that was out there to avoid using those horrible, awful Aviars that I hated.

Finally after a couple of years I just decided to suck it up and work on it. Now I hold an Aviar and try to remember why I hated them. They fit my hand like a glove. I can't imagine what I would have done for a putter for the last 25 years if I wouldn't use an Aviar or any of the Aviarish putters out there. It took some work, but it was a great investment of my time.

I'll throw in that if you like the feel of a Classic Aviar but want a little bit grippier plastic, an SS or Eraser Gateway Warlock would be an option. An R Pro Aviar is going to be floppy soft, which might not be what you are looking for.

I appreciate the advice!

I may have found my answer...the Aviar P&A in the XT Pro plastic. It's supposed to be in between the Aviar P&A DX (which I have one of that I liked but found it too slick) and the Aviar P&A R-Pro.

Going out this afternoon to compare my Aviar P&A, Aviar Classic, Ringers, and P2 to see which feels best in my hand and then figure out which plastic to go with in my choice.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice!

TripleB

I appreciate the advice!

I may have found my answer...the Aviar P&A in the XT Pro plastic. It's supposed to be in between the Aviar P&A DX (which I have one of that I liked but found it too slick) and the Aviar P&A R-Pro.

Going out this afternoon to compare my Aviar P&A, Aviar Classic, Ringers, and P2 to see which feels best in my hand and then figure out which plastic to go with in my choice.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice!

TripleB

Now I'm going to mess with you a bit (in a good way) by saying that if you like these Aviars and their cousins, you might try a Whale in DX or XT plastic. Aviar-ish in shape, has the stabilizing V-tech (and bead that is part of that), which mitigates the finishing fade, and flies for me the most like the Warden of any disc I've come across. Does not feel like the Warden, but putts like it for me. Thank me later for adding to the choices and your confusion. :)

Latest posts