Coaches' Corner

[COLOR=var(--text-lighter)]I've coached a bunch of people from dreadfully uncoordinated to ~1000 rated players.[/COLOR]
Hi Clint,

I'd love to hear more about this! This thread is definitely not the place for negativity, and i don't mean to sound disbelieving, but taken at face value that's an incredible statement so I'd love to delve more into it. Forgive me, I'm really not trying to be argumentative, i just want to hear more.

I think the entire UK has only one or two 1000 rated players, and both are children of a guy who runs a disc business and they have been at it since they were tiny kids. So it's hard for me to even imagine taking someone dreadfully uncoordinated and getting them to 1000 within a year or two. With those kinds of results, I'm going to be getting a plane over for a lesson with you ASAP. $60 an hour is a massive bargain¡

Hi Clint,

I'd love to hear more about this! This thread is definitely not the place for negativity, and i don't mean to sound disbelieving, but taken at face value that's an incredible statement so I'd love to delve more into it. Forgive me, I'm really not trying to be argumentative, i just want to hear more.

I think the entire UK has only one or two 1000 rated players, and both are children of a guy who runs a disc business and they have been at it since they were tiny kids. So it's hard for me to even imagine taking someone dreadfully uncoordinated and getting them to 1000 within a year or two. With those kinds of results, I'm going to be getting a plane over for a lesson with you ASAP. $60 an hour is a massive bargain¡
Reading the wording I can see how you took that from it, my bad. I have coached BOTH dreadfully uncoordinated people, AND some high rated players AROUND 1000 rated. I think the highest being 990 something but I didn't grill him on it. I edited my post to clarify the wording.

I didn't say that... lol. I have coached BOTH dreadfully uncoordinated people, AND some high rated players AROUND 1000 rated. I think the highest being 990 something but I didn't grill him on it. I edited my post to clarify the wording.
Ah - my bad, i clearly read that wrong lol. You can probably understand why i had questions! 😅

Well sheesh, lots of replies to my question :)

Thanks everyone who replied and you all basically validated exactly what I hoped to hear! My plan was to gamify basically every aspect of what I try to show them. I don't have enough time to individually thank y'all right now, but after I do this I'll post some pics and let you know how it goes!

Uli- $400/hr ?
Anyone else surprised by this ?

I had heard when it was $300 and thought it was somewhat high just because I knew you could get a (ball) golf pro instructor for significantly less than that, and that is a sport with dramatically more money invested overall.

No doubt he can teach a lot of valuable things even when some things have been questioned (like most coaches I reckon).

Maybe supply/demand, maybe he doesn't want to spend his time on it unless he makes a big haul etc. Seems to me like Uli has always been thinking ahead to his post-touring days, too and worked on various ways to try to monetize being a disc golf pro.

I guess my main question is (and for any coach) "who is paying for it?" Does he really care to do a lot of coaching, or would he rather find a few "whales" that give him plenty of revenue?

In the end value is whatever people pay for something. Do his students like it? Do they go back for more? Is the value worth $300 more than Josh or Earhart? Does that depend on who you are and where your game is? Etc. I'd be curious to hear what others think.

I think they are partially paying for the celebrity status.

Disc golf still doesn't quite understand that being a good player doesn't make you a good coach so I'm sure some people take lessons because of that but I doubt it's the majority at that price point.

I'm curious what Mike Strauss charges?
For those unfamiliar, he has worked with Brian EarndhRt ( + his brother), Uli, and Robby C.

There is actually a good video on I believe Mike Strauss IG of him and Brian talking various things technique, 20-30 minute.

I think they are partially paying for the celebrity status.

Disc golf still doesn't quite understand that being a good player doesn't make you a good coach so I'm sure some people take lessons because of that but I doubt it's the majority at that price point.
There's probably a significant placebo effect as well, just like more expensive brand-name painkillers apparently work better despite identical ingredients. For a certain type of person, they'll get far better results from a famous coach simply because they're more likely to believe that coach. And the more they spend on it, the more they might actually do the drills they're told to do. 🤷‍♂️

I'd be interested to hear results/outcomes from Uli or other coaches' students in general. Last I heard he took the coaching aspect very seriously with individual students.

Part of why I might pay a premium to play a practice round or lesson from prime Tiger Woods is the celebrity status, and doubtless I'm going to learn a lot from him even if he doesn't specialize in instruction.

If Tiger then went on to specialize in instruction, any number of things could determine whether he was perceived to be a good instructor due to celebrity status. And he might actually be one! Is it worth a 3-4x margin in fees? Hmm...

I have a question for the people who actually have coached in person, and not just casually helped out when people ask (all I have ever done lol).

Have any of you systematically taught kids in around the 11-12 year old range, in a group setting? I really want to start an after school disc golf club at my kids' middle school, and have permission and bought a bunch of discs, but I want to go into this with an actual written out plan!

I want this to be fun for them as the primary goal, but I also want to be able to provide something of a structured path to learning how to throw well.

I have ideas about how to approach it, but if any of you have actually done this, I REALLY want to know how you went about it.

If this wasn't the intention of this thread I'm sorry! I will just leave the post vague for now in case you had another plan for this :)
I think @prerube does this stuff at his school. Maybe he will pop in here like...
200w.gif

Yeah, soccer is pretty awful i think. But the general culture in other sports here is to do what you enjoy.

There's lots of money in soccer, obviously, and individuals in things like golf and tennis obviously make big bucks. But it's not an obvious life goal, not in the way that NBA, MLB, NFL etc offer so many sportspeople the opportunity to make silly money. Professional rugby players aren't getting 7 figures a year or anything like it.

Being good at sport won't get you into college, for a start, and is highly unlikely to make you any money. The main reason kids here want to be professional sportspeople is because then they could play sports all day. 🤷‍♂️

That has it's downsides, of course, and the US certainly produces far more athletes than we do. But, aside from soccer, there's isn't some huge industry chewing up young hopefuls and spitting them out.
This is different in the US especially with the NIL contracts now, it's wild.

I still mess with 360s myself sometimes and speaking on behalf of those who began "anti-athletic," it definitely can teach something to everyone, but you won't see me pulling it out in a round any time soon ☺️
It took me years to figure it out and eventually clicked one day after watching Nikko. I'll bust one out every once in awhile during rounds.

So looking at both Josh's Patreon rates, and the question in the other thread that got started, thought this would be a good data collection point in terms of helping people establish fair rates and being good advocates for their own pay as coaches.

For people actively coaching disc golf or anything:
What are your rates, who you work with, etc? I'm curious how this compares not just between dg coaches but anything.

For DG I only half "coach" a couple friends for free, and very much in a trial and error form for my own development. I expect in the next year or two I'll likely get going a little more formally, but there's only so much coaching time left in my day. Basically a couple people I know from track coaching getting into it get some backhand help from me.

Track I get an honorarium of about $700/month. This is very high for a coach here, and I know outside of the three full time jobs and two head coaches being paid, all of whom are getting paid for admin work much more than actual coaching, I'm getting the highest honorarium in our province. Our university coaches get $1000 for the entire year. Granted I think they have an easier task but not by that much lol. I lobbied hard for it and it was a significant increase over traditional rates. It's very much my charity project, since it represents about 20 hours a week of my time on average. But I work entirely with developmental athletes so it's a little different than coaching adults with paying jobs, etc. It's very much a passion project though, I think if I were to truly monotize it relative to my abilities I'd become quite miserable and enjoy actually coaching a lot less.

For lifting/strength and conditioning work, my private rate varies depending on what's needed. I charge my track kids a very nominal fee just to incentivise follow through (literally $10/month), but my actual private rate varies from $50/100 per month for a client and what they need. I don't keep many clients here, it is very much just a side project. The main purpose of my CSCS certification was for Athletics coaching this is just something I do for the odd person I know who needs help. From what I know this is still very much on the low end here for people with that designation.
In the 2000s, I often had requests to coach private swim lessons in the range from $60-100/hr. These were typically either for middle school age kids or adult triathletes.

My disc golf rate is $80/hr prorated for private lessons on zoom or in person. My least favorite to work with are newbies to the sport, it's just boring to me giving mostly generic advice. I've had requests to do clinics, but that is not my forte, as I'm not good in large social settings. I was struggling with a tandem lesson I did for couple once and will not do anything other than one-on-one now.

I obviously do a lot of free stuff in public forums. I'm amazed how often I see some parents posting their kids on FBFC asking for advice and I'm usually telling them to not mess with their form(it's usually pretty good), or if there is something egregiously off I'll give them something pretty simple to work on. I've also worked with an adult student that has a disability from birth and basically has one arm and leg(whole side of body is much weaker), and he is throwing well over 300' doing One Leg Drill. I had to tell him that his optimal form is going to look a bit different than others, with his body and center of mass being different.

I have a question for the people who actually have coached in person, and not just casually helped out when people ask (all I have ever done lol).

Have any of you systematically taught kids in around the 11-12 year old range, in a group setting? I really want to start an after school disc golf club at my kids' middle school, and have permission and bought a bunch of discs, but I want to go into this with an actual written out plan!

I want this to be fun for them as the primary goal, but I also want to be able to provide something of a structured path to learning how to throw well.

I have ideas about how to approach it, but if any of you have actually done this, I REALLY want to know how you went about it.

If this wasn't the intention of this thread I'm sorry! I will just leave the post vague for now in case you had another plan for this :)
I have lesson plans for that age group. I have taught teachers of students in this age group how to teach their kids. I have also done clinics with children with visual impairments and students who are Deaf.

They all love ring of fire!

Oh my goodness. It actually worked. You guys summoned him.

@prerube I don't know who you are but I feel honored to have witnessed your triumphal entry