• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[PDGA Major] Champions Cup 2024

Woah. Im so exhausted just from watching this tourney. What a course. Cant imagine playing it.

Rooting for Anttila obviously. Thank the deities or lack thereof that he got his DGPT win. He would be the forever runner-up if not for that.

Lets see what happens for Presnell after this, or if nothing happens...

Lets see what happens for Presnell after this, or if nothing happens...
Yeah, kinda stacked at the Elite team level for Discraft. Ellis and Presnell skipped winning an Elite series and grabbed Major victories while on the Tour team level. I don't think Ellis was on Discraft's Elite team last year but he got bumped up (and Callaway dropped down to Tour level) after EO or the end of the tour season.

Smith, Aderhold, and Gossage are the remaining Elite team members that haven't won on tour yet. Could be a tough decision for Discraft to make if they keep the Elite team at 12 members.

So if I was hearing correctly - she needed a 990 average to lock in 1000 next update, and that last round put her at a 988 event?

Maybe she'll push over 990 when the ratings go final....
Strange, i think iths the second time now she just needed an OK round to get to 1000 and she tanked both those rounds

Strange, i think iths the second time now she just needed an OK round to get to 1000 and she tanked both those rounds
Was last time a similar situation, where she was in a 'chase'? Its a tough circumstance. Generally she pulls it off, of course, being in a lot of chase down situations happens when you're around the top of the field all the time, but it is still a tough circumstance to be trying to hit a rating.

It was great to see someone get their first major at Champions Cup. Presnell has been long overdue to get a big win like that. That course looks crazy difficult. Both FPO and MPO were pretty exciting to watch.

Tattar played just well enough R4 for it to be above the 2.5 STDEV cutoff for dropping low rounds (~937 and below after all the rounds this weekend). 2 strokes worse or better that final round and she would definitely have 1000 rated next update by my calculation 🤯. Right now my calculation shows 999 on the dot so maybe a different rounding somewhere in the official calculation could get her to 1000.

Kudos to Blomroos for being the only FPO player to score under 70 all 4 rounds.

Salonen & Scoggins both took less OB/Penalty strokes which really kept them ahead/tied with Blomroos, Saarinen, and Tattar. Very similar total strokes gained for the top 5 so everything seemed to average out apart from the penalty strokes.

Tattar played just well enough R4 for it to be above the 2.5 STDEV cutoff for dropping low rounds (~937 and below after all the rounds this weekend). 2 strokes worse or better that final round and she would definitely have 1000 rated next update by my calculation 🤯. Right now my calculation shows 999 on the dot so maybe a different rounding somewhere in the official calculation could get her to 1000.

Kudos to Blomroos for being the only FPO player to score under 70 all 4 rounds.

Salonen & Scoggins both took less OB/Penalty strokes which really kept them ahead/tied with Blomroos, Saarinen, and Tattar. Very similar total strokes gained for the top 5 so everything seemed to average out apart from the penalty strokes.
So she could just have 4 putted om 18 on purpose and the 1000 would have been locked in? Wierd rule "play worse and the round will be dropped"

I think I need to reiterate the need for obvious streams being OB. I see no real reason why 16&17 arent. 17 the easiest hole? Gosh darn I wonder why. Put some added pressure into the drive. Two hole swing potential on the third and second to last holes. Whats not to like?

I think I need to reiterate the need for obvious streams being OB. I see no real reason why 16&17 arent. 17 the easiest hole? Gosh darn I wonder why. Put some added pressure into the drive. Two hole swing potential on the third and second to last holes. Whats not to like?
There's no need for water to be OB. It's casual by the rules unless designated by the TD who thinks it's supposed to be OB by popular opinion to provide scoring separation. However, does the DGPT really want artificially created additional scoring separation, when landing in water by itself may produce a lost disc temporarily or permanently? And landing in the water was already an unsuccessful throw, especially if a player must move back on the line of play to the edge of the water (like the creek on hole 17) or to a drop zone (as on hole 16). Note there's more drama when players must make a more challenging throw versus where they landed with the outcome of their next throw providing viewer entertainment and potential excitement if they can execute the save. I applaud the designers for doing water relief this way versus simply slapping a relatively fluky penalty stroke in these two situations. There are other places on the course (and hundreds around the world) where this approach could be taken once they see how well it worked on these two holes.

Last edited:
So she could just have 4 putted om 18 on purpose and the 1000 would have been locked in? Wierd rule "play worse and the round will be dropped"
Pretty hard to predict what score would be needed to drop for that final round after the cut narrowed the field down and I doubt she (or any competitive golfer) would think of something like that prior to a final round even - especially starting R4 in 2nd. 4 holes to go she wasn't eliminated and winning/podium at another Major is more valuable while getting another couple birdies also meets the goal of 1000 rated.

(plus if it was very obvious then What happens if a player in my group appears to be trying to play poorly to lower their rating for that round? could be enforced).

MPO was a good watch on Jomez. Fun watching guys that have a unique style just throwing dimes: Presnell & Antila - Buckets is also smooth as silk and fun to watch.

All we needed was Matty O or Tall Paul to round out the card.

On the FPO side, couldn't be happier for Evelina Salonen. Having her and Ohn Scoggins on the same card is a guarantee of smiles and general good vibes.

Agree to disagree then I guess. Its pretty prevalent that these types of areas are OB. We are used to it. More pressure filled shot in that case, vs "if I just get this out there I'll have a putt a least"

Why are any creeks on the property OB then? The one where Presnell lost his putter?

Not sure I want to go full Idlewild and whats that hole where the OB creek meanders through the whole hole... However, in that case its also a very clutch shot to park it

Agree to disagree then I guess. Its pretty prevalent that these types of areas are OB. We are used to it. More pressure filled shot in that case, vs "if I just get this out there I'll have a putt a least"
OB penalties are not inherently bad, they provide a different game scoring element in the same way a basketball shot made beyond a certain distance was reassigned a value of 3 pts instead of 2 pts in 1979. Scoring stats from the previous 2-pt era could not be properly combined with the new 3-pt era because it was a different game from a scoring standpoint. However, when that change was made, every game allowed 3-pointers to be scored throughout the game, not just randomly when a player attempted one during minute 4, 7, 11, 14 and 18.

Inserting hole design elements in the inbounds playing area that have immediate 1-stroke penalties is like sneaking in the equivalent of a random 3-pointer in basketball without recognizing it generates a different scoring game in the same way allowing players 6 mulligans in some rounds but not all of them in tour events would clearly be improperly mixing two different scoring formats in the stats including course and player rating stats.

There are two separate disc golf scoring formats being played with their stats being blended, the traditional version like ball golf where there is less than 1 penalty stroke scored per player per round on courses like W. R. Jackson, Brewster Ridge, and Toboggan. (PGA tour penalties average 0.4 per player per round). With more than 4 penalty strokes per player per round our DG tour includes courses such as Fox Run, Eureka Temp and Winthrop Gold with Emporia Country Club topping the list at almost 7 penalty strokes per player per round, around 15 times the penalty average of the PGA tour!

So, Emporia CC is either the worst traditional (disc) golf design or one of the best versions of an emerging disc golf scoring format. My point is that there are two ill-defined game formats being statistically intermixed labeled "disc golf" that should be more clearly defined as separate formats. Then, within those formats, determine the game design elements that are appropriate and fairer for each format versus flukier design challenges. But first, the industry must finally recognize there are two game formats that should be clarified, especially with proper stats becoming more important and potential gambling on the horizon.

Until there are 2 sets of rules there are not 2 different game formats, just some things that may be flukier than others. Please give a real world example where this actually matters. There are reasons ECC is a less than optimal course and imo all the OB is one of them but that still doesn't mean the game is fundamentally different any more so than playing a course in the woods vs a course in the open.

Until there are 2 sets of rules there are not 2 different game formats, just some things that may be flukier than others. Please give a real world example where this actually matters. There are reasons ECC is a less than optimal course and imo all the OB is one of them but that still doesn't mean the game is fundamentally different any more so than playing a course in the woods vs a course in the open.
Rules provide the universe of format choices that can be made. Design of various game formats and related stats measuring score and player performance have guidelines for playing each one. We use the same baseline rules for various doubles formats, mulligans and match play along with their specific format rules. Golf is played against the course rules. The default disc golf game design elements within the inbounds play areas - water, trees, brush - have no stroke penalties and some provide free relief with loss of distance. The core game of golf is making shots moving from point A to point B in a continuous sequence and counting the total number of strokes actually made as your score. Most penalties are not applied automatically based on where your ball lands inbounds (except for being lost) but only when the player actively does something wrong. Even landing in water is not directly a penalty even though it usually results in one but that's because the player usually chooses to move the lie and not play from the water. If the player deliberately violates the rules, the USGA/PGA preference is to DQ rather than "taint" the score with too many non-struck strokes.

As our rulebook evolved, a few penalty elements were included for theoretically protecting an area (mandos), water too deep (or critter laden) to allow casual play from it, nearby concrete surfaces typically under shelters, and landing above 2 meters. None of these elements were seen as gameplay elements nor should they result in penalties very often, definitely less than 1 stroke per player per round. Penalties were used primarily as a deterrent for players to throw where it wasn't intended to be the fairway.

The PDGA had and still has minimal design guidelines limiting use of penalty elements (in fact none at all until 2002). So, some course designers, especially without ball golf design background, who wanted to make their courses tougher started to deliberately incorporate penalty elements in their designs because no where did it say doing so changed the game, even if many players were getting these penalties. Now, the influx of new players in the past 20 years since USDGC introduced more OB think it's supposed to be part of course design even though the rules haven't changed in that regard, i.e., water is still casual by default.

From the standpoint of measuring skill, a player throws into the brush one day and it's not a great throw. The next day, an arbitrary line is marked such that the same player's throw would now be OB. Drawing the line changes the score on that throw and the measurement of that player's skill/rating. The addition of penalty elements in the gameplay area changes the game in terms of shot-shaping, routes and scoring. Even if all penalty elements are designed "fairly", the game is different. But not all penalty elements are designed, nor can be designed, fairly which deliberately adds more flukiness to the game. It's at least better if penalty course stats are grouped together separate from the non-penalty courses.

Point being, just because something is defined in the rules that normally occurs infrequently at the fringes of the game (such as real OB in ball golf), doesn't mean incorporating that element everywhere in the main gameplay area doesn't establish a different game experience in terms of scoring and performance stats. I agree that woods versus open courses need a few different stats but the core golf game of counting actual throws with less than 1 non-thrown penalty per play per round can be achieved with very few penalty elements at some course boundaries, otherwise just distance and lie relocation (drop zones). Or the penalty version can be played on both woods and open courses by marking fairway boundaries and design challenges with stroke penalties and scored as a different format. Again, recognizing that there's a difference is the first step toward better definition of each format and then the detailed design guidelines to develop good course versions applying them.

Rules provide the universe of format choices that can be made. Design of various game formats and related stats measuring score and player performance have guidelines for playing each one. We use the same baseline rules for various doubles formats, mulligans and match play along with their specific format rules. Golf is played against the course rules. The default disc golf game design elements within the inbounds play areas - water, trees, brush - have no stroke penalties and some provide free relief with loss of distance. The core game of golf is making shots moving from point A to point B in a continuous sequence and counting the total number of strokes actually made as your score. Most penalties are not applied automatically based on where your ball lands inbounds (except for being lost) but only when the player actively does something wrong. Even landing in water is not directly a penalty even though it usually results in one but that's because the player usually chooses to move the lie and not play from the water. If the player deliberately violates the rules, the USGA/PGA preference is to DQ rather than "taint" the score with too many non-struck strokes.

As our rulebook evolved, a few penalty elements were included for theoretically protecting an area (mandos), water too deep (or critter laden) to allow casual play from it, nearby concrete surfaces typically under shelters, and landing above 2 meters. None of these elements were seen as gameplay elements nor should they result in penalties very often, definitely less than 1 stroke per player per round. Penalties were used primarily as a deterrent for players to throw where it wasn't intended to be the fairway.

The PDGA had and still has minimal design guidelines limiting use of penalty elements (in fact none at all until 2002). So, some course designers, especially without ball golf design background, who wanted to make their courses tougher started to deliberately incorporate penalty elements in their designs because no where did it say doing so changed the game, even if many players were getting these penalties. Now, the influx of new players in the past 20 years since USDGC introduced more OB think it's supposed to be part of course design even though the rules haven't changed in that regard, i.e., water is still casual by default.

From the standpoint of measuring skill, a player throws into the brush one day and it's not a great throw. The next day, an arbitrary line is marked such that the same player's throw would now be OB. Drawing the line changes the score on that throw and the measurement of that player's skill/rating. The addition of penalty elements in the gameplay area changes the game in terms of shot-shaping, routes and scoring. Even if all penalty elements are designed "fairly", the game is different. But not all penalty elements are designed, nor can be designed, fairly which deliberately adds more flukiness to the game. It's at least better if penalty course stats are grouped together separate from the non-penalty courses.

Point being, just because something is defined in the rules that normally occurs infrequently at the fringes of the game (such as real OB in ball golf), doesn't mean incorporating that element everywhere in the main gameplay area doesn't establish a different game experience in terms of scoring and performance stats. I agree that woods versus open courses need a few different stats but the core golf game of counting actual throws with less than 1 non-thrown penalty per play per round can be achieved with very few penalty elements at some course boundaries, otherwise just distance and lie relocation (drop zones). Or the penalty version can be played on both woods and open courses by marking fairway boundaries and design challenges with stroke penalties and scored as a different format. Again, recognizing that there's a difference is the first step toward better definition of each format and then the detailed design guidelines to develop good course versions applying them.
So is your position that a course like steady ed, that has ob water on a third of the holes, shouldn't be counted with stats from a course that doesn't have ob water on it?

It seems like the course design elements required for a course to challenge a professional disc golfer is a very different thing than course design elements that challenge a professional golfer. Why should disc golf designers model their designs after ball golf? Imo, there is also no scenario a designer can make putting in disc golf comparable to pga tour greens running a 14 stimp with false fronts.

So is your position that a course like steady ed, that has ob water on a third of the holes, shouldn't be counted with stats from a course that doesn't have ob water on it?
Remember water is not OB unless labeled that way. Landing in water could be marked the same way as it is now using the Relief Area rule 806.04 which works like OB but without the penalty stroke. BTW, isn't losing a disc enough of a penalty? However, designing for minimal OB penalties doesn't mean no OB areas, just a few positioned where players will average getting a penalty every 10 rounds or so.
It seems like the course design elements required for a course to challenge a professional disc golfer is a very different thing than course design elements that challenge a professional golfer. Why should disc golf designers model their designs after ball golf? Imo, there is also no scenario a designer can make putting in disc golf comparable to pga tour greens running a 14 stimp with false fronts.
The same design elements used for disc golf design since it started, primarily trees, elevation, and distance, are sufficient to challenge players at the highest level and provide scoring separation with no penalties needed. That's been proven year after year on the elite tour. W.R. Jackson at the Champions Cup the previous two years average 0.2 penalties per player per round. Despite how it may have appeared at Northwood with the wet, windy weather, the penalty average for both MPO and FPO was only around 1 penalty stroke per player per round, close enough to be considered a traditional track but fewer penalties would reduce some flukiness even more.

We don't need to design like ball golf, just follow similar principles for each game format we develop. If one of our desired game formats is to follow the traditional golf principle where every stroke thrown counts as 1 with none counting as two strokes or more (no direct penalties), then that dictates the various design elements to be used and how they are played. How disc golf designers achieve that will look quite different from how ball golf does it but each course layout striving for that result will have a roadmap and a wide variety of tools to get there. I know it seems like doing this would be difficult on terrain with few trees, but that's why there are experienced designers to handle those challenges.

There's no problem defining a game format where several of the same non-penalty challenges are used but with penalties attached to every one of them. I'll call it the Pressure format (sounds better than penalty format) versus the Traditional format described above. For consistency throughout the round, you design for players potentially getting penalties on almost every hole in the same way a mulligan can be used on every hole in that game format.

Maybe allowing one mulligan on every hole would be a more fun format to play on a Pressure layout with lots of penalties. That would be another game format with separate stats, but players would still follow most of the baseline disc golf rules.

Here's the trade-off between Traditional and Pressure formats. The Traditional design format, when done well, does a bit better job testing skill and reducing fluky results. Scores stay tighter longer with more hot streaks interspersed within the field showcasing good play. Pressure design format literally turns up the pressure on the players resulting in more throwing errors and stroke penalties. However, as long as the penalty elements measure skill versus random bad luck, the skill to avoid penalties or to play conservatively is an additional skill to measure. This format usually costs more time and money to mark, create accurate rules and for players to understand where the lines are located. There's likely less drama with tight finishes and contenders must hope the leader(s) take big scores and fall back rather than being able to mount a rally with good play. It's a matter of taste what format is more interesting to watch. I think some viewers like the potential train wrecks and others want to watch good play with potentially tighter scoring. Regardless, the stats, especially player ratings should be done separately the same way 3 pt, 2 pt and 1 pt shooting percentages are maintained separately in basketball.

Remember the second part of the original Frisbee slogan? "Invent games", just don't intermix elements from different game scoring formats in the same layout and expect to produce performance stats that make sense from course to course.

Remember water is not OB unless labeled that way. Landing in water could be marked the same way as it is now using the Relief Area rule 806.04 which works like OB but without the penalty stroke. BTW, isn't losing a disc enough of a penalty? However, designing for minimal OB penalties doesn't mean no OB areas, just a few positioned where players will average getting a penalty every 10 rounds or so.
I'll argue strongly for the unpopular middle way which is that any given bit of water on a course should either be A) out of bounds or B) in play but with absolutely no casual relief available.