• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cool Private Tourney Format

NateDiscFlip

Double Eagle Member
Just kicking around some ideas for a fun private tournament.

My two buddies and myself are setting up more of a private tournament in the near future. We decided to do things different from the norm as this is how we planned to run it.

1) Since there is three of us, each of us will invite 5 other players a piece for a total of 18 players or 3 teams with 6 players a piece.

2) The round will be played as a scramble doubles round. The crazy part is that each doubles pairs will be made from two players that are NOT from the same team.

3) One player from each pair will throw twice per series of shots, so it is a triple doubles format of playing. As to who throws the third shot, that will be up to each pair to decide.

4) It may take longer, as we wouldn't be in a hurry, but 6 players or 3 pairs would play together. (i.e. Team A + Team B; Team A + Team C, and Team B + Team C)

5) The first round starts 4:00 am in the morning, as the course is Played BACKWARDS at night with a limit of 6 discs per player or 12 per doubles pair. Keep in mind, you can use your partner's discs.

After an intermission of breakfast, chllin, and hangin at the fire, the second round starts in the morning about 7-8am or so, In the second round, players are allowed to use unlimited discs in the day time and will not be allowed to share discs with partners.

6) Points are kept NOT by stroke, but by overall place among the other pairs. If there are nine groups, 1st place gets 1 point, but would be awarded to 2 teams. The team with the lowest overall score takes home the prize.

7) However, the top three players with the lowest overall score in strokes over 2 rounds would receive additional awards.

Just thinking of some cool ways to keep everyone competitive but in a way one would encourage the opposing team/doubles teammate to do well.

Anyone have any thoughts on the tourney style? Sounds fun as all H*(( and I have never even done it before.

ONE MORE THING

One thing I forget to mention was the 2nd round would be played normal, or forward instead of backwards.

And this might not be the right forum heading for this post, but I thought it may fit with STRATEGY for having a funner tourney.

Last edited:
How do you hole out playing backwards? temp baskets?

Well, its official , I'm lost. That made no sense to me what so ever.

Unanticipated response from the guy with 7k posts. I tell my students to ask a question about what you don't understand instead of responding with such a conversation ending manner.

well its official, if you want to be found...how can I answer your question?

How do you hole out playing backwards? temp baskets?

NEARLY backwards. Most holes will not have a teepad(probably post teepads on grass elsewhere), but every hole will vary from the normal hole. Thanks for asking for clarity. Hope this helps. and it's a great question.

as a matter a fact, I have left this portion up to others since I trust them to make the best decision, and with too many chiefs trying to determine hole designs it would get tough quick.

Creative, i must say. But waaaay too complicated. Oh, and starting at 4 in the morning!?!? you so crazy!

It has to be a little complicated to be different from the norm. Any questions about complications?

Night tourneys are great, but the response I usually here is "man if it was just the day time", so that is why the second is in the morning.

keep in mind...this is how me and my private crew rolls. Not everyone is cut out for early rounds, but some soldiers are.

Funny, I hear so much on this site about people playing UNREAL rounds during the day. I am only asking for two rounds. One at night and the other the morning. All in a days work.

Hey sidewinder...I was going to use this tourney as a chance to request for other good players and teams to join. If your good enough, I may have a spot for you on the chosen 18. I will even pay your entree fee if you can make it.

Unanticipated response from the guy with 7k posts. I tell my students to ask a question about what you don't understand instead of responding with such a conversation ending manner.

well its official, if you want to be found...how can I answer your question?
That is assuming that he cares to have a full understanding of your idea...which may be assuming too much.

That is assuming that he cares to have a full understanding of your idea...which may be assuming too much.

Lot of egos to feed around here Hagner. It's a shame, since I know many of them arent very good players, but they can sure post ALOT!

It's a good idea. We'll have fun. Maybe we will ask others to attend, especially those who think they can play with people the caliber of me and my boyz.

Hey sidewinder...I was going to use this tourney as a chance to request for other good players and teams to join. If your good enough, I may have a spot for you on the chosen 18. I will even pay your entree fee if you can make it.

Now looka here son, I don't do 4am. :eek: Or having to figure out more than how many strokes I took, let alone at that time of day/night. :confused:

Now looka here son, I don't do 4am. :eek: Or having to figure out more than how many strokes I took, let alone at that time of day/night. :confused:

Yeah...you're right. You should probably just stick to posting. You seem pretty comfortable doing that. I would hate to see you compete with us Michigan boyz and not make it through the night cause it's way past bed time for ya. I'll be thinkin about ya pops!

Yeah...you're right. You should probably just stick to posting. You seem pretty comfortable doing that. I would hate to see you compete with us Michigan boyz and not make it through the night cause it's way past bed time for ya. I'll be thinkin about ya pops!

Boy don't stop talking so much, his tongue will get sunburnt.

Thanks to all who have tried to make this a POSITIVE thread:clap:

All comments and recommendations are welcome. I figured it would be a little confusing, but most new and cool ideas first start out a little foggy. I will work on the details.

Word has it that it's going to be called:

"Jay's-Way" Flippin' Flip Adventure:thmbup:

Have you tested this format while just playing the course normal style?

No, and yes. Not as a tournament, but have played holes from optional teepads. I would go private, as everyone who would be invited would have to know the course well enough to navigate it backwards or in a modified way.

There are certain courses where I can play at night but I cant park in the normal parking lot so I just start in a completely different area of the course. To get the most out of the course, which is fairly open, I make up modified holes for the fun of it.

As for this style of tourney, I would start with atleast 12 players minimum. For a team to do well, it really comes down to good players playing well. The worst thing to occur for any team is to have the team's worst player paired with another teams worst player. Coming in last place in any round by any team is bad. I wouldnt keep strokes. Instead, just give points for the place(i.e. first gets one, second gets 2) and the team with the lowest points wins.

The individual side to the game is for being on the hottest pair over two consecutive rounds, even though each player would have a different partner. In other words, a complete rookie paired with the best players from the other two teams could mean the player could throw like crap but still win the individual event.

Last edited:

Latest posts