• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cory Murrell leaving CCDG, going solo

Wanted:

Media Partner with experience filming outdoor sports events, providing commentary and editing. Experience with Adobe editing tools a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with 400'+ backhand and 90%+ C1 putting. Exciting travel opportunities and media exposure await you.

post that on reddit and RIP inbox.

...Recall how hard it was to watch Jamie back when SpinTV started? He's among the best now because he kept at it. Cory def has the a similar drive to make things happen in DG media, and I think he provides great insight for an am player, second only to Sexton.

However it starts/ends, I'm happy to see people making the effort to EXPAND FREE DISC GOLF COVERAGE!

I'm guessing Cory would definitely regret leaving CCDG if his career path would follow a Jamie Thomas like trajectory. Not to take anything away from Jamie, as I've enjoyed his efforts w/SpinTV, but he was once the face of DG commentary and has since evaporated.

I'm guessing if it doesn't work out for Corey on his own and he starts to fade into oblivion, CCDG will take him back with open arms.

I'm guessing if it doesn't work out for Corey on his own and he starts to fade into oblivion, CCDG will take him back with open arms.

Especially if Jomez keeps blowing CCDG out of the water in the battle royales.

Bummer to see him go from CCDG, but I think it's awesome that there is opportunity for more people to (potentially) make it doing something related to DG media. Good Luck Cory!

I'm guessing Cory would definitely regret leaving CCDG if his career path would follow a Jamie Thomas like trajectory. Not to take anything away from Jamie, as I've enjoyed his efforts w/SpinTV, but he was once the face of DG commentary and has since evaporated.

Oh no, I hope I haven't evaporated! I didn't do a great job of explaining my transition, so I shouldn't be surprised by that.

I'm over at Ultiworld Disc Golf now helping to grow the scope and variety of content, in fact this week is my 1-year anniversary on The Upshot Podcast. (Cue the hype music here) I'm very excited about the future, we're working on some cool stuff - more podcasts, grow the YouTube channel presence, etc.

I'm honored that I spent any time at all as the "face of DG commentary" - it was never really part of the game plan, it just kinda happened and I wasn't totally prepared for it. I think Cory's rise was in similar fashion. Having someone like Ian there with him was very valuable and gave him instant credibility, which he capitalized and expanded upon. I see this as him attempting to further stretch his legs and tell stories his way, and I wish him luck.

I think you're right, that he will find an initial dip in his "presence", though not nearly as much as me, because he'll be on the road more than I have been (though I'm going to more events this year than previously). Tournaments are still the "water cooler" for the sport, if you're not there, you're not being seen. That will change one day, but for now it's the way things work.

Good news is...with all this media shakeup in the offseason, there will be tons of stuff to watch in 2019!

Jamie, I am totally aware of your involvement with that podcast, I just don't equate that with commentating the world's biggest disc golf tourneys on what was by far my favorite channel at the time.

I'll always appreciate your work there and will miss memorable calls such as "Manabu Kajiyama is Japanese for smoooooth".

It is an exciting time for disc golf media and every year it seems like there are new breakthroughs. Cory has a great idea to highlight our players in a new way and I wish him and you both nothing but the best.

Jamie, I am totally aware of your involvement with that podcast, I just don't equate that with commentating the world's biggest disc golf tourneys on what was by far my favorite channel at the time.

I'll always appreciate your work there and will miss memorable calls such as "Manabu Kajiyama is Japanese for smoooooth".

It is an exciting time for disc golf media and every year it seems like there are new breakthroughs. Cory has a great idea to highlight our players in a new way and I wish him and you both nothing but the best.

Thanks!

I totally agree, the voices on the calls for edited (and 2nd place: Live) coverage get the biggest spotlight.

One way that Cory and I think similarly is that we both aim to widen that spotlight to other types of content. Whether either (or both) of us will ultimately be successful in that endeavor remains to be seen. Both he and I are fans of the game League of Legends and the "LCS" (the professional league for the North America region) - and I think he's looking at guys like Travis Gafford, who was kind of a vlogger/streamer who knows the eSports pros and transitioned into a media personality for that scene.

However, that does bring another similarity to what you're saying. The "shoutcasters" (broadcasters for the LCS) are the most well known media people because of that platform and the direct proximity to the pros performing.

To be honest, SpinTV has faded too. The growth and quality of coverage has taken leaps and bounds, and you only need to go back a few years to see the difference. Pick a video and see for yourself. Just watched USDGC 2015 and even though it was the bees knees at the time, it just seemed drab and boring now.

Wanted:

Media Partner with experience filming outdoor sports events, providing commentary and editing. Experience with Adobe editing tools a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with 400'+ backhand and 90%+ C1 putting. Exciting travel opportunities and media exposure await you.

Soo I told you guys I was talking to Paavo right? :D

Sorry I was referring more towards the Chump superhero angle of Johnny Football coming to save the day then the entire premise of Pro champions taking on regular am disc golfers. When the dude is rated 980 Pro, he really is no longer a Chump per say.

I've got him by 9 points. :clap:

But yeah this should lead to more pros doing commentary on CCDG. I've got Eagle lined up for WTO, Barsby for LVC, Seppo for Daniel Boe, and Sexton for Canadian Nationals. I'll fill in the others as we go :)

I think this move will be good for DG and Cory. We'll get some content the sport was missing. If it doesn't work out, CCDG will be here for him. I don't see that happening as hard as Cory works though. :thmbup:

Soo I told you guys I was talking to Paavo right? :D

I've got him by 9 points. :clap:

But yeah this should lead to more pros doing commentary on CCDG. I've got Eagle lined up for WTO, Barsby for LVC, Seppo for Daniel Boe, and Sexton for Canadian Nationals. I'll fill in the others as we go :)

I think this move will be good for DG and Cory. We'll get some content the sport was missing. If it doesn't work out, CCDG will be here for him. I don't see that happening as hard as Cory works though. :thmbup:
What about the technical side for CCDG... radar gun and slow mo?

I like this because I have always thought something was "missing" from disc golf content. Pre and post round interviews with players, spotlight pieces, stuff like that. It's out there, but not enough. The USDGC last year did a good job minus the 4 hour long pieces (hyperbolic), but I'm sure they learned. What I'm worried about is it being an independent source - Corey's Channel. What I'd love to see is CCDG, Jomez, etc using Corey's content during their round coverage. I would especially like it spliced in during live coverage given the amount of down time. If Corey can get to tournements during practice rounds and get a bunch of player interviews, local spotlight stuff, etc and get that edited and ready to go for whoever is covering the tournment that could be a fantasic recipe for great all round content.

All that said, I'm still subscribing and watching his stuff.

I'd also like to see a little longer chat with the players/winners after the round.

There is always a microphone there when the last putt is over, but there is room for more detail about the rounds in a 10 minute sit down interview - either live stream or recorded.

More detail follow up that isn't an entire vlog (no offense, you guys do great work but I seldom have the time).

If I could go right from Jomez's coverage to Cory's interview, I could hear about why so-and-so played the high line versus the others on the card, what that delayed call was about, etc.

Some pre-major interviews would be cool too. "What's your plan ..." questions make for a great follow up after the event "How did that work or not?". None of it would help my game but it would def add to the chatter on here.

Latest posts