• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

A conversation with a bagging legend, Ben Calhoun. Actually, Scott Stokely is likely a premier bagger in his own right. Kind of fun to hear the chat about bagging history.

Such a great listen. Thank you sir for posting this. Made my night listening to these legends of our sport (or game, or hobby, whatever).

A conversation with a bagging legend, Ben Calhoun. Actually, Scott Stokely is likely a premier bagger in his own right. Kind of fun to hear the chat about bagging history.

Watching, I remember reading about them doing this. Probably one of the reason I set a goal over 1000 played in 2016 when I was sitting at 300.

I have 69 so far this year. Not sure whether to get the 8 more for #300 or...
I'm at 69 new courses this year too! But I made a goal of 80, so I've got to make a couple trips sometime …

My goal is 52 new courses for the year. I'm at 50 currently. I think I can get to 60. I have another goal to hit my 100th Tennessee course this year as well. I'm 3 or 4 courses short on that goal.

New to both disc golf (in the modern era) and bagging. 13 courses so far, with 11 reviewed here, starting in late May. Got my second state last week!

36 total rounds so far. I live in Minnesota, so I'm probably close to done for the year. Would be nice to get a clean 40 in, but the weather goddesses may have something to say about that.

New to both disc golf (in the modern era) and bagging. 13 courses so far, with 11 reviewed here, starting in late May. Got my second state last week!

36 total rounds so far. I live in Minnesota, so I'm probably close to done for the year. Would be nice to get a clean 40 in, but the weather goddesses may have something to say about that.
We all started somewhere.

From day one, I always sought out playing new courses. Back then it was using the PDGA course directory and word of mouth.

With the course I played in France last week (Course Bragger), I'm at 58 for the year. I might get another 10, but with the exception of new ones popping up here and there, any bagging now starts with a 3+ hour drive.

The worst part is that it's now really hard to find clusters of unplayed courses. Oh, for the days of multiple park nines within 10 minutes of each other. Didn't even need to throw warm-ups!

With the course I played in France last week (Course Bragger), I'm at 58 for the year. I might get another 10, but with the exception of new ones popping up here and there, any bagging now starts with a 3+ hour drive.

The worst part is that it's now really hard to find clusters of unplayed courses. Oh, for the days of multiple park nines within 10 minutes of each other. Didn't even need to throw warm-ups!

I wonder if I'm really a bagger. I try to play all the courses I can, but I typically play 36 on one course in a day to get to know it for the review, and don't go looking for more trouble elsewhere that day. Gotta be nice to the joints/muscles these days.

Last edited:
I wonder if I'm really a bagger. I try to play all the courses I can, but I typically play 36 on one course in a day to get to know it for the review, and don't go looking for more trouble elsewhere that day. Gotta be nice to the joints/muscles these days.
Bagging, like Christmas, is more of a feeling you keep inside you, rather than some other outwardly manifested expression.
If you've ever said to yourself anything along the lines of "Maaaaan, this course looks like it sucks but I just gotta...", then you're in bagger company.

Bagging, like Christmas, is more of a feeling you keep inside you, rather than some other outwardly manifested expression.
If you've ever said to yourself anything along the lines of "Maaaaan, this course looks like it sucks but I just gotta...", then you're in bagger company.

Once I show up, it would be impolite not to play. I'm Minnesotan fer chrissakes.

They've gone roundabout all around the Detroit suburbs. I got no problem with them, and think rush hour traffic tends to move smoother/steadier because of them.

*starts list of roundabouts he's bagged*

Last edited:
They've gone roundabout all around the Detroit suburbs. I got no problem with them, and think rush hour traffic tends to move smoother/steadier because of them.

*starts list of roundabouts he's bagged*

Agreed. Freakanomics Radio did a good cost/benefit analysis on them a few weeks ago and they make a ton of sense. The punchline was that Minnesotans all simultaneously yield, which inhibits the roundabout's function a bit.