• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-The-Radar 5-Star Courses

Here are some that had the vibe of a 5.0, but there was either a big con or a few:

Cannon Ridge Fredericksburg Virginia a heavily wooded ravine course the first 12 holes with a unique water carry hole #8. Holes 13-17 too open for my liking, that's where it slipped to a 4.5 for me. A course under the radar on DGCR when I posted my review 2 years ago only 31 of us had played it, today just 51.

Walnut Creek Charlottesville, Virginia a mix of heavy woods, open, water, creek, ravine, elevation and incredible elevation on #17. On a 30 degree winter morning there were people running and hiking on wooded fairways, and sunning on the open fairways. Such an interruption in play. I could only imagine the crowd on a summer day. I so badly wanted to give it a 5.0, but couldn't do it with the constant delays, settled on a 4.5.

New Quarter Williamsburg, Virginia top notch professional course mix of open and heavy woods, a few ravines holes, some elevation, and a pro shop in the park office. It's a course I frequent, but it's hard to get excited about a few open holes, and I enjoy woods golf but a few holes I just don't like. It's a 4.5 for me, I can't think of a reason to give it a 5.0, but I can understand others giving it a 5.0.

Waller Mill Williamsburg a heavily wooded ravine course with elevation, and 5-10 wrapping around a lake with death approaches and putts (I've lost three putters), Long to long at about 9700 feet is a grind, short to short is challenging for anybody, and just flat out scenic. I frequent the course, a favorite from Virginia Beach to Richmond. But, short tee pads have turf, longs with ragged carpet that is now tripping hazards on some of the tees. With a few other cons, I have it at 4.0, 17 and 18 now have turf, hopefully the others will follow and I'll see about my rating.

Lynnwood Forrest on the Eastern Shore of Virginia is an isolated course that is flat with 5 open holes with unique farming fields obstacles, and an incredible scenic water carry on 18. The other 13 holes heavily wooded with unique holes, including #7 one of my favorites. The course has distance. I played Lynnwood a month before Lake Marshall Lions and scored a stroke higher at Lynnwood. My three double bogeys were in the open holes, hmm. When I played the course July 2021 it was about a month after it was opened by the private owner. It was raw with no tee's, no signs, some clearing out still needed to be done, and the course needed to be beaten in. I saw potential, but rated it at 3.0 with the possibility of a 5.0. In the past two plus years the owner has almost completed concrete tees, not sure if all tee signs are installed, the wooded portion may now be cleaned out, and some holes have been re-aligned for difficulty, hmm. Also has hosted a few major sponsored tournaments. When I know the concrete tees are finished, I plan on going back to play and expect a big jump in my rating. Only the incredible course bagging Deke Guff and I has bagged the course.

Ashe County in the North Carolina Mountains.

It's rated well enough at 4.5, but not mentioned very often. A mountain course with some tremendous elevation, open and wooded and a little water, with a great variation in holes. Many of the short tees give distinctively different looks, making it fun to play 2 rounds, 1 from each tee. And it's absolutely gorgeous.

Pretty cool thread idea and I agree with some of these courses:
Longview is the best course in the state of KS. It gets 0 love, outside of true course baggers or people that venture out of the major city areas. If it had the same social media presence as the #1 course on UDisc, it wouldn't even be close, but alas.
Spoon Creek is also a solid play and the aforementioned Clover Cliff is good too.

Eagle's Crossing is a great course, however I prefer Harmony Bends. I hear nothing but solid reviews about Hanna Hills and I need to get there and play it.

Muddy Run in PA was one of my favorite course when I was out there for 2019 Worlds. Pinchot was a solid course as well, and that hike up HOLE 1 was pretty taxing!

There are so many courses off the beaten path that deserve more play and higher ratings.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to add some new MUST plays to my list.

Muddy Run in PA was one of my favorite course when I was out there for 2019 Worlds. Pinchot was a solid course as well, and that hike up HOLE 1 was pretty taxing!

Muddy Run still is excellent, and you're right about that hike up hole 1 at Pinchot. If I remember, that hill continues for the first half of hole 2. Come to think of it, there's a similar hill at Muddy that you have to climb several times (#3 and #17?). Maybe it isn't as steep at Pinchot, but I made the mistake of using (dragging) a cart

Tampere Disc Golf Center in Tampere, Finland is an off-the-American-radar, five-star course set in beautiful, Northern birch/poplar forest. Also, the continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn Tampere - Central Station was among the best I've had - multiple jars of pickled herring and all you can eat.

Tampere Disc Golf Center - DiscGolfPark

Tampere Disc Golf Center

Tampere Disc Golf Center

tampere_disc_golf_center_silver_course_map.jpg

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3119.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3079.JPG
    IMG_3079.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I mean...I've rated one course a 5. :rolleyes:

Some I can mention off the top of my head though that might fit. we'll call 'em 4.75's.

Plus 1 for Longview DGC, not a 5 but awesome.

Camden II
Stoney Hill
North Boundary-Main ( THE most brutal course I've played to date )
Meggido- this course is just fantastic.
Whiskey Hills- Better than anything in Ludington imo
Whippin Post & Woodshed- Still to this day my favorite DG expedition.
The Scrapyard- Criminally underrated imo
Iwen Park-North
Makoshika SP- Runner up somehow

My pick is Jamestown Reservoir DGC in nowheresville ND. That course is a monster, and I only played the shorter layout. Gorgeous, elevation, beat your ass into the ground stuff. It's hard to explain. It has it all and was, and still is, my number 1 most overlooked course. If this course was anywhere besides where it is, it'd be actually be heard of. It's in ND though. I've played a few courses. NoBo and Jamestown are 1a and 1b.

Tampere Disc Golf Center in Tampere, Finland is an off-the-American-radar, five-star course set in beautiful, Northern birch/poplar forest. Also, the continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn Tampere - Central Station was among the best I've had - multiple jars of pickled herring and all you can eat.

Tampere Disc Golf Center - DiscGolfPark

Tampere Disc Golf Center

Tampere Disc Golf Center

Vasset in Norway is the one I want to play in Norway/Sweden. Saw it the year Barsby won PCS Sula Open and fell in love with it.

Mont du Lac - White Cedar

Only course in Wisconsin I truly felt like should be close to a 5. Beautiful, well-designed, fun and extremely memorable.

There's 3 other courses on site that are all very good as well.