• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Least Favorite course rated 4/5 or better?

Very disappointed to see you drop the rating for Deis Hill. I went through a similiar debate with Sidewinder22 and felt like he caught the course on a bad day plus he hates poison ivy like no other. Normally, i agree with him on everything except maybe Whispering Falls...
I think it has more to do with other courses played on the same trip and previously. I don't think I would have changed my Deis Hill rating or review regardless if the camp kids were there or not, and the poison ivy didn't really bother me there because the fairways are like throwing a hot dog down the hallway, but just looking over into the rough was enough to give me the willies. I just felt like most the holes were very vanilla and like Rolling Pines also lacks in scoring separators and tangible punishment for bad shots, but RP was better than Deis. I can't see rating Deis Hill in the same neighborhood as other similar style courses like the Black Course, Warwick, Paw Paw, Walnut Creek, Mountain Lake, or Mine Kill. It was a stressed day though as I got nails in 2 tires later that day just as I got to Mt. Airy. I enjoyed Mt. Airy much more though. The next day I played Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge, the day after was Armco(s) and Rotary/Indian, then on the way home I played Orange Crush again.

Whispering Falls... I guess you liked it more than me. It was still 18 holes last time I played and I played Paw Paw same day after WF, where Paw Paw then stole WF's lunch money and proceeded to eat the lunch in front of it. The next day I played Orange Crush and Seth Burton which was epic as well.

I think it has more to do with other courses played on the same trip and previously. I don't think I would have changed my Deis Hill rating or review regardless if the camp kids were there or not, and the poison ivy didn't really bother me there because the fairways are like throwing a hot dog down the hallway, but just looking over into the rough was enough to give me the willies. I just felt like most the holes were very vanilla and like Rolling Pines also lacks in scoring separators and tangible punishment for bad shots, but RP was better than Deis. I can't see rating Deis Hill in the same neighborhood as other similar style courses like the Black Course, Warwick, Paw Paw, Walnut Creek, Mountain Lake, or Mine Kill. It was a stressed day though as I got nails in 2 tires later that day just as I got to Mt. Airy. I enjoyed Mt. Airy much more though. The next day I played Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge, the day after was Armco(s) and Rotary/Indian, then on the way home I played Orange Crush again.

Whispering Falls... I guess you liked it more than me. It was still 18 holes last time I played and I played Paw Paw same day after WF, where Paw Paw then stole WF's lunch money and proceeded to eat the lunch in front of it. The next day I played Orange Crush and Seth Burton which was epic as well.
Man, you sure do get a lot of nails in your tires. Deis Hill was the first long course I played, so maybe it was the novelty of it,but I liked it a lot,despite not having the arm to do it justice. I do recall the walk as being grueling, without much shade in June.

Man, you sure do get a lot of nails in your tires. Deis Hill was the first long course I played, so maybe it was the novelty of it,but I liked it a lot,despite not having the arm to do it justice. I do recall the walk as being grueling, without much shade in June.
Lol, besides my most recent dg trip, that other trip was the last time I got any nails in my tires and both of these trips were with brand new tires! :\

Not that anyone really cares, but why does Mike C continually degrade courses because they are not challenging ; when in his review of Deis Hill (which is very challenging from the blues), he says,"I usually play the whites,14 blue and a few reds."

One of the times I played Deis Hill it was recently mowed, so there was a nice poison ivy mulch surrounding a number of the baskets for your disc to land in. It's kinda distracting to pull a disc out of the wet green mulch not knowing what oils might be lurking there. That's had to be my worst disc golf poison ivy experience.

I agree about Hambrick. Maybe a 3.25 if they ever replace those old baskets. It has some good holes but several are just blah. If ever the term addition by subtraction would fit a disc golf course it could be this one. For instance the elevated basket and the one after it could be removed(they are kind of a safety hazard for tourneys anyway and course flow wouldn't be changed much) and there would still be 25 holes. I haven't played all of the letter holes because the only times I have been there were for the Ice Bowl and the Westside challenge. Also, it doesn't help that one of the better temp courses around is right across the damn and is only open a couple times a year. The Hoover Westside course is so much fun, even for a fat guy on a hot day. I was miserably hot, worn out and played like crap but I loved every minute of it.

Word on the course is that new baskets and tee pads are gonna happen. Not sure if baskets will be there in time for this year's BHMO. Trusted sources have said the club is looking at Mach X's.

Lindsey Park Gold Course in Texas is one that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Rated 4.21 and was around a 4.4 when we played it. It's a beautiful setting and I really enjoyed the first couple of holes, but it just got too repetitive for my liking. Felt like almost every shot in the middle of the course was just throw as straight as you can through a tight line of trees.

Brent Hambrick in Ohio is another one that got too repetitive, but for the opposite reason. I liked the wooded holes, but seriously about half of the 27 holes are wide open and flat. I've never played the tournament layout, which sounds like it is a lot more fun to play.

Agreed, I think Bucksnort is highly rated based on its beauty rather than the golf itself.

Bucksnort -- Good course in beautiful surroundings... I enjoyed it, but in no conceivable way is it better than nearby Beaver Ranch. The numbers on here are clearly inflated for some reason. It's got dirt/gravel tees, erosion issues, and some gimmicky holes that lose their appeal after the first play. Also not much variety, and almost all midrange pitch and putt par 3. Maybe a fairway driver on a couple holes. I rated it 4/5 on here, still excellent in my opinion, just should never be in the same category as the other ones I've played in the top 25.