• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

Springwood Players' Course. :\

(not really)

Not that everyone loves this course, but Griggs Reservoir is one of the worst around town yet it's ALWAYS busy and I have heard numerous people say they like this course.

That is a weirdly popular course. I saw the hottest female disc golfer I'd ever seen play there and she could really throw too, maybe she has something to do with it. :popcorn:

Johnson St. in High Point, NC is probably my vote for the thread. It's fun but the course is just so beaten down and eroded that it sucks a lot of the fun out of it for me. Really shows its age.

Not that everyone loves this course, but Griggs Reservoir is one of the worst around town yet it's ALWAYS busy and I have heard numerous people say they like this course.

Basically the reality is this: Griggs is shoved into a narrow sliver of land that runs along the Scioto River. It is also part of another park so it gets a lot of traffic from non-disc golfers, who are often on trails right in the direction you are throwing. On top of this, many tees are pointed towards each other and it just makes for a very dangerous layout.

As if the poor design wasn't bad enough, every hole is exactly the same! Straight and to the left, or straight and to the right. There are few holes that are over 300' and you could play this course with just one disc, which would still be a waste of time.

Also the last time I was there my brother's bag got swarmed by yellow jackets and then my dog got stung, and I got stung getting them off of my dog. So you see, there is no reason to ever go back there.

Agreed! I heard a lot about this course. Then when I finally played it, thought it was over rated.

I'll just start by saying that I love Rosedale Down Under here in KC, but god damnit that course is so stupid sometimes. Being accurate is a real skill to have, but there is often just so much luck involved that it's unreal.

I see folks playing it all the time. I hear folks talk about it all the time. I know it's popular.

Played most of it once. Quit before the end simply because it's too damn difficult to walk for old, fat guys...which would be me. I enjoyed most of the holes, though not enough to want to try walking it to play again.

Rosedale Down Under plays better with Super Class discs (Zephyr) than regular plastic.

That is a weirdly popular course. I saw the hottest female disc golfer I'd ever seen play there and she could really throw too, maybe she has something to do with it. :popcorn:
Haha well that is interesting...
Agreed! I heard a lot about this course. Then when I finally played it, thought it was over rated.
I'm glad you agree! I honestly never played it until about 2 years ago and it was immediately boring. I heard it used to be in a lot worse shape though, so at least it's a nice park these days.

I would say Lincoln Ridge. Yes, it is nicely maintained and it's 24 holes, but the design is just average IMO. I have seen a few reviews where people say they like this course better than Idlewild and that just baffles me.

Cass Benton is one that I was disappointed by, it was about a 3.85 at the time of my visit. A bit lower now 3.7 I think, but it's about a 3 even in my estimation.

I like a lot of the holes, but the flow is weird, the maintenance is not great and the non golfers sitting around doing dubious things in and around the course turned me off as well.

Dretzka is another one, don't get me wrong I liked it, but it was pretty repetitive to be as overwhelming attended as it is. Didn't stop me playing 4 rounds there one summer evening though.

Red Mountain in Mesa, AZ is the ultimate to this thread in my mind. Impossible to navigate, extremely tough to play with the growth, and the desert eats your entire bag. Yet most have given it 3.5 + ??? Anyone else played it?

Cass Benton is one that I was disappointed by, it was about a 3.85 at the time of my visit. A bit lower now 3.7 I think, but it's about a 3 even in my estimation.

I like a lot of the holes, but the flow is weird, the maintenance is not great and the non golfers sitting around doing dubious things in and around the course turned me off as well.

Dretzka is another one, don't get me wrong I liked it, but it was pretty repetitive to be as overwhelming attended as it is. Didn't stop me playing 4 rounds there one summer evening though.

Sadly, true. But, boy you should have seen this course in it's heyday. Put in for 2000 Worlds, it was a beast. Great balance, technicality to bring the best of the world to frustration. Playing now seems like visiting an old sick friend....with some questionable relatives hanging around. :p

Red Mountain in Mesa, AZ is the ultimate to this thread in my mind. Impossible to navigate, extremely tough to play with the growth, and the desert eats your entire bag. Yet most have given it 3.5 + ??? Anyone else played it?

Yep, the navigations gotten better (it's signed much better now), although I liked the plant growth. It's a nice change from most courses around southern Arizona. That said, It can be repetitive (as most courses here seem to get).

This goes for both the north and south courses btw.

Sadly, true. But, boy you should have seen this course in it's heyday. Put in for 2000 Worlds, it was a beast. Great balance, technicality to bring the best of the world to frustration. Playing now seems like visiting an old sick friend....with some questionable relatives hanging around. :p

The holes look fantastic, I bet it was a gem! Especially signature holes like 3 and 7 I think. I bet it was a blast. Still fun to play, and I may go back but it could be a solid 4 with the right upkeep.

It's a shame- that was far and away my favorite course from 2000 Worlds, Toboggan included.

Cass was still a bit too tight (fluky) on a handful of the wooded holes during PAW2000.

I'm going to go with NcNaughton Park in Pekin, IL. It has a 4+ rating, but I just don't find it to be a very fun round. I'd much rather hit Eureka, both the courses in Morton, or even ICC.
McNaughton is one of those older courses that had a real buzz about it back in the day, mostly becasue it had that monster closing hole. Holes that long were really unusual then. Since it went in, a lot has changed. Discs have gotten faster, players throw farther, courses have gotten better. McNaughton gets by on the reputation it had and the fact that's it's still a really good course. It just isn't a top 25-type course like you might have been able to argue it was back in the mid-90's.

I'm going to get blasted for this one I'm sure but...

DeLa.

I like it, but don't love it. IMO holes like 4 (barsby roller ace hole), 12 (the kitchen), and 18 (where ricky rolled down the hill and paul hit the ~40' death putt final round masters cup 2014) are just not good holes...they just have the legacies' attributed to them in parentheses. Add on the crossing fairways and "getting DeLa'd" and you have a course that's overrated to me. I cut them some slack on trees falling, etc. because they don't have a water source up there so maintenance is exponentially more difficult, but it's just not somewhere I enjoy playing that much.

I've seen it on once already, but. vets in Arlington texas. Everyone talks about how great it is. It's pretty rough. If you don't know the course it's very easy to get lost if you have never played. 1 is wide open. 2 is a wide tunnel. Then you get back into the "ok is the basket/tee over where" part of the course. Then you have the how do I get to 9 trails. Some signs on the course and some trim work would go a long way. Yes. It has probably the best terrain of the dfw courses but it always seems pretty rough on those middle hole fairways.

i don't even agree with this. i think there is better terrain at almost any course in Ft Worth. maybe it was the first NTX course with elevation (?) but so many of them do now. Zboaz, Gateway, Turner, and Saddle Hills (which is still underrated, IMO) are all more fun and more interesting than Vets, for me anyway.

NGCT

it's a good course, but I don't think it's the "omgz best course evarrrr" course that ATL people make it seem to be

lots of good to very good holes ... maybe the flow seems a little wonky to me? or maybe it seems like you're enduring the round rather than enjoying the round? ... not sure

I'd say it's a 3.75-4 disc course, whereas a bunch of locals would probably give it 4.25-4.5 ... not a HUGE difference, but different enough I guess

Personally I'd rather play Little Mulberry to NGCT ... I just seem to enjoy it more for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would place Little Mulberry and Perkerson over NGCT. Oh, and 2/3 of the IDGC. It's a good course, but as far as general experience goes, I would rather play somewhere else.

There is no way Colorado Mountain College - Glenwood is the 4th best course in Colorado. In the top ten maybe but not top 5.

Idlewild. The artificial turf really rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I understand why it was used, but it just felt wrong to me.

Latest posts