• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

Sounds like Tyler is splitting into two 18s this year requiring updated reviews at some point.

*This thread is kind of lame because any disc golf course is better than none. Stay positive people...it's what will win people over in the long run!

Have to disagree here. I can show you at least one course that should change your mind, lol.

And Hippodrome at the time, (this was before the redesign and I have not made it back), it was fun, but just odd and random.

Hippodrome for sure. I didn't like it on the old layout, only played it a couple of times, and tried the redesign a few weeks ago. I actually think the new layout is even worse then the original. They took out all the black tees. The distance from blacks was the only thing that made it a tolerable round in the first place. Now with no blacks all but one hole is less then '350. Its basically an exaggerated pitch and putt with mini golf elements. The wooded holes have always been decent, but now all the open holes are just hyzers from 250-300ish over and over again. Plus they completely look out the original hole 1, which was the best hole on the course IMHO. Totally blah course, and with the IDGC 30 minutes away I still can't comprehend why all the locals are always at the 'drome. Hogback is OK, but I'm not paying $5 just to play a pitch and putt.

I don't see "how a course fits into the region" has anything to do with anything.

A really good desert course will be a lot different than a really good wooded course. A person that likes to launch huge hyzer bombs will love the well designed desert course, but may not appreciate a short, but very technical course in the woods. A person that throws very accurate shots within 250 feet would very likely have the opposite opinion.

Comparing this course: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4025

to this course: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6193#

could easily get much different reviews from average disc golfers because of their skill set. Both are good courses that I'd like to play. There are a lot of people that would not like one or the other.

If you've never played in the desert, they do have trees. They are evil trees directly from hell, but they are trees. The approach game is so different that you have to experience it to understand. Determining distances is more difficult in the desert. If you don't play the course often, you will probably have trouble until you get a feel for the course. Wind will also be a lot different. Thumbers and tomahawks are common shots.

As you can tell, I love desert courses. I would imagine that someone that hasn't played one would think the course stinks, the shot lines are dumb and why would anyone play a course that will make you bleed when you step into a shot from the fairway?

A really good desert course will be a lot different than a really good wooded course. A person that likes to launch huge hyzer bombs will love the well designed desert course, but may not appreciate a short, but very technical course in the woods. A person that throws very accurate shots within 250 feet would very likely have the opposite opinion.

Comparing this course: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4025

to this course: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6193#

could easily get much different reviews from average disc golfers because of their skill set. Both are good courses that I'd like to play. There are a lot of people that would not like one or the other.

I can agree with this. However, I think I can provide a better example for the desert course. The rating for this course is actually closer to that of the course in Monroe but is significantly different in terrain and obstacles (or lack there of). I haven't played either one of these courses but just by judging them from their respective pictures, I can confidently say I would be bored out of my skull at Buffalo Ridge. At least the example you provided in Texas has some trees to contend with. I can see some required line shaping on several of those fairways.

I've never been a fan of the open hyzer fest style course.

I don't want to put down Shawshank. A lot of work and love went into making and maintaining the course. It's just a personal thing with me about all the tricked up "gimmicks". The course itself is OK, just not great.

I don't want to put down Shawshank. A lot of work and love went into making and maintaining the course. It's just a personal thing with me about all the tricked up "gimmicks". The course itself is OK, just not great.

I think Shawshank is a great course. It has many top notch amenities and the TLC that is put into it is 5 star all the way.

However, I think there is a legitimate debate as to whether a course that is that "gimmicky" can be considered the #24 course in all of the US, where it stands in the recent top 2014 courses. Thus, it makes this thread for conversation. For some, when you factor in all the aspects of the course, it does hold up to the #24 rating. For others, they can respect it for what it is, but just not put a gimmicky course in the top 50. Simply a matter of opinion.

Personally, I wish it was a little closer so that I could play it more often.

Sounds like Tyler is splitting into two 18s this year requiring updated reviews at some point.

Not only is Tyler splitting up they are adding 6 new holes to the "old third nine." So in total, they are adding 9 new holes. The three new holes that are in are pretty good. I've seen the proposal for the next 6 holes and it should be very interesting to see how they turn out. Without giving away too much info...there is going to be two huge bomber holes, one is a par 5 and the other a par 4. One is severely uphill and the other is downhill.

Latest posts