• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my form for distance please

I've been battling with an open plant forever. I have some kind of mental block that doesn't allow me to plant closed. I think it is a common problem without an easy solution.

I've been battling with an open plant forever. I have some kind of mental block that doesn't allow me to plant closed. I think it is a common problem without an easy solution.
Very common problem, but a mental block is on you. How much and what kind of practice have you done? What drills have you done? Try standing still and extending your swing/disc backward as fas a possible straight away down the line from the target while balanced only on the front leg or feet together(still should be in athletic position with slight flex in knee and hip and spine tilted slightly forward toward knee, so the disc can pass through under your chin and over the knee through your center without your hip being in the way of the disc's path). When you reachback far enough through your center you will probably feel some core muscles being stretched or loaded you haven't felt before in a throw.

Stand still and apply pressure with your plant foot at a forward angle against the ground. Then do the same thing except apply pressure straight down into the ground. Look at what your right hip does in each instance.

Yup, you're missing out on a lot of power. Go practice throwing from a standstill or a one-step, no run up or footwork to worry about. Start feeling some torque from your core, as sidewinder said. Shoulders and hips will give you your precious distance.

Stand still and apply pressure with your plant foot at a forward angle against the ground. Then do the same thing except apply pressure straight down into the ground. Look at what your right hip does in each instance.

That feels like the Hershyzer wall drill. Is that right?

That feels like the Hershyzer wall drill. Is that right?

Probably, I am sure sidewinder has it covered in one of his videos. It's not really a drill, it's just to show that your hip will open early if you plant flat.

I tend to plant correctly but then roll to flat before fully committing to the weight shift.

Latest posts