• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Custom Disc Rack

notapro

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Just wanted to show off a bit... here is a disc rack I just made today.

Before:

Rack%20n%20Noill%20003.jpg

After:

Rack%20n%20Noill%20005.jpg

Holds about 200? discs, give or take... cost about $50 or so. No more piles of discs on the floor!! :)

I work for a company that makes displays, so all of this stuff is very standard for me. All it really is:

(2) Laminated particle board ends with 10 holes each
(10) 1-1/4" Powdercoated steel tubes with 3/8-16 inserts

I just screwed the ends to the tubes on each side, and that's it! The 6" tubes with clamps aren't necessary, they are just adjustable dividers really.

I must say, it really works well, and if need be, I can always get some longer tubes if I run out of space. :thmbup:

Can you post part/item numbers at local DIY stores?

i raelly think many DGs will be creating this for themselves...

Just wanted to point out that the top row of discs are facing the wrong direction...

Nice rack though. I need me one of those.
DSCJNKY

GDBP, dude. I think you could potentially sell these as kits to interested disc golfers.... kind of like Ikea furniture.

You're welcome for the idea, so I'll be expecting my 10% cut every month.

It's a little tricky to make the ends; I had the benefit of free access to a CNC table router and edge bander, as well as a large inventory of substrate and laminate/melamine.

But, if someone wanted to make one of these from scratch, it might be easiest to use all wood. Like, you can probably get a cut piece of MDF (particle board) from Home Depot or something, and maybe try and get them to drill some holes. Probably would have to do it yourself.

You can then just get some thick dowel rods, like a closet hangbar, and just glue or force fit the rods into the holes. I think that is pretty easy to do; the tough part will be getting the holes drilled accurately, and finishing it so it isn't just plain, ugly MDF.

Maybe I will talk to my boss and see if we'd be willing to make these on the side... Probably a tough sell, but they sure love money. :)

And Booter - you can just get some longer, thicker tubes; or make it taller, or both. This one is just right for me, for now at least. Add another row and up the tubes to 50" or so, that would hold a boatload of discs.

GDBP, dude. I think you could potentially sell these as kits to interested disc golfers.... kind of like Ikea furniture.

You're welcome for the idea, so I'll be expecting my 10% cut every month.

The only problem is that I paid cost for it. If we sold it at full margin, it would be about $180!! :gross:

You can then just get some thick dowel rods, like a closet hangbar, and just glue or force fit the rods into the holes. I think that is pretty easy to do; the tough part will be getting the holes drilled accurately, and finishing it so it isn't just plain, ugly MDF.

As long as you can measure and mark accurately, I think you could probably make something like this out of wood pretty easily with a drill press and a mitre saw. Exactly like you mentioned, using clothes rods or handrail and 1 x 12s (or bigger). On the 1x, measure where the center of the dowel will be, mark it and drill a small pilot hole where the screw will eventually go . Flip it over and use the drill press to tap out the area of the wood where the dowel will go (using the pilot hole from the previous step). From there: paint/stain, glue, screw, and wrap pipe insulation around the dowels and you're good to go.

Way to rally the masses GDBP :)

I have a similar rack that I built four years ago. I made each rack an individual "box" and they interlock. I will see if I still have the photo on my hard drive

hooray. As the pile on the floor gets larger, I build another box and put it on the top or start a new stack

Latest posts