• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Cycling Fairway Drivers - What Mold?

170 Champ TeeBird
150 Star TeeBird
172 Star TeeBird
then sit back and watch the strokes fall off your score

DX Eagles. They're awesome.

I believe taking an DX Eagle through it's complete life cycle is one of the best learning experiences in disc golf.

Thirded. If you've already got a champ FB for the really beefy stuff, 3 DX Eagles in various wear will definitely cover you. If you wanted to go sans FB, I'd start with Banshees or a DX FB. It'll take a little while for one of those to beat into flippy though, but a flippy DX FB is pretty crazy.

Only problem with Cyclones is that they're crap in the wind (unless you find an OOP in Z: from what I've heard, those things are meathooks), so if you're sticking to one mold, you'll be pretty screwed on windy days.

Cyclone is a solid mold, ages very well in X plastic, and does indeed feel like a fairway version of a Roc. The wind issue soured me on them, though.

I have no problem with them in the wind. The ESP's fly beautifully and handle the wind. I only pull out the Tsunami in severe gusts.
I vote Cyclone, one of the greatest molds out there.

P-PDs. They have the Firebird rim that you are already used to, but can cycle to cover every other shot that the Firebird doesn't.

I agree with the 2-mold theory, but I also think you could cover it all with Teebirds. Thanks to Innova's Innovating Innovariations, they can cover most all stabilities right off the bat. The DX ones I've gotten over the last couple years have all been turnovers out of the box, sadly. I have an older DX that's well beat and gouged and is still way more stable. The new ones just have super low PLH, so I wouldn't even try to go all DX for cycling them.

Most overstable Teebirds: 2013 stamped CFR metal flakes. Those are firm like your FT Firebird is, if you can find 'em, least dome and most overstable flight of any teebird I've thrown.
most understable: new DX - super saggy PLH, no seasoning required!
most seasonable: Echo Star - I think they wear in faster than normal Star.

I have no problem with them in the wind. The ESP's fly beautifully and handle the wind. I only pull out the Tsunami in severe gusts.
I vote Cyclone, one of the greatest molds out there.

YMMV, as always. Here in flat, flat New Orleans, 10-15 mph winds are a way of life, and it can double that on a regular basis. In those conditions, my Cyclones got pushed around.

Latest posts