• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dayton/Cincinnati conditions

Jolson

Heading down to Dayton and Cincinnati this weekend and looking for current course conditions. Thinking Fairborn to start but concerned about holes near the river. Anybody know if it's playable? Also looking for several more courses to play. Looking for several must play courses and maybe a couple "if your in the area courses". Northern Kentucky is also possible.

Thanks!

In terms of Cincy, with the recent weather melting most of the snow, I imagine you're going to be getting muddy. There is an Ice Bowl at Lincoln Ridge tomorrow so it's a Sunday play.

How many rounds per day are you thinking?

Muddys usually not an issue until it becomes harder to truck through then 6 inches of snow. We usually play 2-3 courses a day. 2 good-great courses with option of 3rd round being a easier to play course.

Feel free to join us (by 9:30am Saturday) for the Ice Bowl: 2 rounds at Lincoln Ridge, playing holes 1-13 & 18-24 (we don't go down the ravine if it's slippery). It's a C-tier, there's an ace pot, & Dan's our most enthusiastic host, run's Disc n Dat, & will be giving out some nice prizes. Besides, it's for Fairhaven Rescue Mission. :thmbup:

The dregs of the snow has melted and we had high winds today, so the grassy and/or mulched areas should be fairly good in tomorrow's sunshine. We'll be trekking a little more cautiously on holes 5-7 & 10, I'm sure.

If you feel like you want to tour other courses, DO get to Idlewild, of course.

Ice bowl is a possibility. I have a division however my buddy is a pro master, so...? We'll discuss it. How do you think idle wild will be? I've only played the first 5 holes due to extreme weather conditions, so NEED to finish the course. I do remember a creek, do you think that will be flooded?

If you're looking for casual play, the two courses I would recommend are unfortunately on opposite ends of 275, Idlewild and Osage Grove. They would make a great day of play with Mason Sports Park thrown in for a third course option of a really solid nine holes. That would be extreme punishment (Idlewild) followed by fun, but still solid (Goshen).

I've only ever played Belmont and Sycamore in Dayton, but both of them would be a fun option after what I've heard is punishing in Fairborn.

Btw. What's the cap for the ice bowl?

Plenty of room for you: he's got 41 signed up for now (see divisions so far). With decent weather, I suspect the numbers could nearly double, but playing 20 holes could readily accommodate 80-100 players. Dan would love to be faced with the problem of overflowing a charity tournament! :p

If you're looking for casual play, the two courses I would recommend are unfortunately on opposite ends of 275, Idlewild and Osage Grove. They would make a great day of play with Mason Sports Park thrown in for a third course option of a really solid nine holes. That would be extreme punishment (Idlewild) followed by fun, but still solid (Goshen).

I've only ever played Belmont and Sycamore in Dayton, but both of them would be a fun option after what I've heard is punishing in Fairborn.
I'll echo Mason as a very solid niner (best I've played), and Osage Grove is excellent.
Idlewild's rep is well earned and speaks for itself.

In Dayton, Belmont's fun, but if you're thinking of playing Handyman Ace Hardware- I'll just say be prepared for a tough round. Excellent course, but it's tough, with significant terrain. Melting snow, and sloppy, messy conditions only make tough courses tougher. Your personal goals (i.e. overcoming or enjoying) might affect which courses you hit.

FWIW - If it's open for play, Mt. Airy was my favorite in that area.

Last edited:
I'll echo Mason as a very solid niner (best I've played), and Osage Grove is excellent.
Idlewild's rep is well earned and speaks for itself.

In Dayton, Belmont's fun, but if you're thinking of playing Handyman Ace Hardware- I'll just say be prepared for a tough round. Excellent course, but it's tough, with significant terrain. Melting snow, and sloppy, messy conditions only make tough courses tougher. Your personal goals (i.e. overcoming or enjoying) might affect which courses you hit.

FWIW - If it's open for play, Mt. Airy was my favorite in that area.

Mt. Airy is open. The proposed closure talk is over. :clap: