• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I don't want or need anyone to make up my mind but man finding a DG shoe that won't take to a concrete tee like a block of cheddah to a cheese grater sure would be nice.

I have searched and there are multiple threads in which multiple shoes get poo'd and hyped. Each thread brings me to the same conclusion:

(BRAND) (MODEL) shoe sucks/rocks.

I R confused.

Soo. Tell me what you got, what you like about it and what you don't like.

I will start:

I have some champ crap that I bought at Target for $30. They breathe really well and feel great. I wore them for about 4 rounds and there is a big honking hole on the left inner toe area where I drag my foot. :(

I can't spend $30 a month for shoes and everytime I am inches from pulling the trigger something throws that plan off.

So...

I have XXX, I spent $XX and I like XXXXX and dislike XXXXX. I have had them for XXXX mo/years.

I have Merrell Moab Ventilators, I spent $95 and I like that they are VERY durable and show no signs of wear and dislike the high arch and sometimes they feel "clunky". I have had them for 18 months.
102976_366_45.jpg

I also have New Balance 850s, I spent $40 and I like that they are extremely comfortable and light-weight and the soles are vibram and very durable and dislike nothing about them. I have had them for 2 years. These are my go to shoes.
new-balance-850-s.jpg

I have been wearing an old pair of Vans that I've had for several years. So far, they are holding up better than any other type of shoe I've tried. Technical skate shoes are usually pretty tough, much more so than any running shoes I've tried, my NB's took a major beating in no time flat. The downside to the skate shoes is the smooth bottom won't grip well on wet grass or muddy surfaces. They do pretty well on concrete pads, and aren't showing too much wear. I'd like to try a pair of light hiking style shoes, but I don't have any, and I'm not gonna go out and buy any at this point.

Good thread. Thanks.

I also have a pair of the Merrell Moab Ventilators, and got them on sale at REI for $80 or so. I've been playing with them on concrete teepads for most of this summer and other than a little dirt, I can't seem to see any significant signs of wear.

My only problem with them is they aren't waterproof. Otherwise the grip is great, they are really comfortable, and they breathe well.

Have you tried tennis shoes? By that I mean true tennis shoes that are designed for tennis and the hard courts? Now, they may not have the rugged sole for rocky, wooded, muddy, and so on, but they feel GREAT when launching off a concrete tee pad, which is where you are throwing the hardest.

I bought a pair of cheaper New Balance ($50) in the summer and they are still in great shape. Hikers often use softer rubbber for grip on rocks, but can shred on abrasive surfaces.

The best balance I would think is tennis shoes for concrete and light hikers for natural/dirt/gravel. That way you are getting the best foot support for the surface.

I have several shoes. Different shoes for different weather and or courses. I am VERY sensitive about my footwear. And many moons ago I used to sell very high quality shoes at an exclusive men's clothing store. I sucked at sales, but I did learn a thing or two about shoes. My advice is to buy the best shoe you can afford. When you buy shoes it should be as comfortable as a well worn slipper from the minute you put it on. Do not believe a soul or should I have said sole who tells you something silly like, "It's leather, it will stretch."

All that said, here's what I wear & why

Level and open courses, summertime - New Balance 622s. Wide width to fit my wide foot. I like New Balance because they have a wide range of wide lasts. If you drag your foot they probably won't last long on concrete tees. Recently I bought a pair of Timberland Route Racers (model 88120) for the same purpose. They should be more durable than my 622s.

Hilly terrain and muddy conditions - Ozark Trails, Putty II. I know, these are cheapos but my 10 yr old stepson bought them for me for my birthday so I gotta wear them. They aren't too bad. They're waterproof. For these types of conditions I'd recommend something waterproof AND breathable.

Wintertime - I wear a pair of Dunham 12" hunting boots. Water resistant but breathable and lined with Thinsulate. I've had these boots for well over 10 years and although worn, they are almost like new. I paid around $150 for them and they just might last me the rest of my life.

Hope this helps.

I bought some Merrell's also, but witht he Gore-tex. They are only about 4 months old, but they keep my feet dry and show no signs of wear. I'll probably have to spray water-proofing on eventually, but so far they are really dry, even in some of Hurricane Ida's leftover puddles.

I have a pair of Merrel Continuum's with the Vibram soles and I really like them. They are light weight, breathe well, and were relatively cheap. I found a pair at Nordstrum Rack (their discount outlet) for $60 when they normally retail for $100+. The only thing that I don't like about them is they have elastic bands instead of laces. They stay tight for a long time, but they can hard to get that right level of tightness. I have only had them for the summer so I don't know how they will stand the test of time, but so far they are holding up great.

58910601-149x149-0-0_Merrell+Merrell+Chameleon+II+Stretch+Charcoal+J830.jpg

Nike Air Pegasus+ 25 GTX. Waterproof. Warm in winter. Breathable & cool in summer. Uber-comfy with wide fit for my big monkeyfeet. Nice rubber sole with running shoe-ish pattern & teeny rubber "cleats" - good for any surface from concrete to muck.

The answer is SHOE GOO. It costs 4$. You can slap it on any pair of shoes you like and it will take the wear instead of your shoe. I put holes in two shoes before using the goo. The goo dries hard and does get a few scratches but it already has outlasted any pair of shoes i had. I only used a quarter of the tube to protect my shoes so far. For price and versatility it can't be beat.

The answer is SHOE GOO. It costs 4$. You can slap it on any pair of shoes you like and it will take the wear instead of your shoe. I put holes in two shoes before using the goo. The goo dries hard and does get a few scratches but it already has outlasted any pair of shoes i had. I only used a quarter of the tube to protect my shoes so far. For price and versatility it can't be beat.

where do you get this stuff at?

I've posted a couple of times on this subject, but I'll recap -- because of my wide feet, my options are limited to brands/models that offer wider widths. I've been a pretty loyal New Balance guy for many years now, as I've always been able to find NB cross-training/walking/running shoes I liked and that worked for my feet at places like DSW and Shoe Carnival at reasonable prices. Once I started playing East Roswell Park regularly, however, I found that I needed more traction on the hills (i.e., to avoid slipping on loose rocks on the slope down from the black tee area on 6 down to the blue/red tees), ankle support, and wider soles (for greater stability) that absorbed, rather than transmitted, the shock from all the rocks, acorns, sticks, stumps, etc., that you inevitably step on out there. I tried a variety of cheaper hiking shoes/boots that sometimes were OK for the first nine holes or so but then caused foot pain by the second nine, and that didn't really absorb any of the shocks from the rocks and such.

I finally bit the bullet and decided to spend the money on decent shoes that had the features I wanted, were comfortable for my feet, and would be likely to last a while. Since I had a pair of NB trail shoes I liked a lot (NB 641s, long since discontinued), I went into the NB store at North Point and asked what they had in the way of hiking shoes or boots with higher ankles that were made on the same last as those. The options were the mid-high NB 977s and the higher-top, lighter-weight NB 1201s. Since I wasn't sure I wanted the higher top, and the 977s were slightly cheaper, I went with those. They've served me very well for the last couple of years, and have held up pretty well. I've worn them mainly for playing DG, though, and usually wear something else for day-to-day activites. I didn't really care about the GoreTex waterproof liner (as you know, water's not typically an issue at ERP, especially during long-term droughts), but was very grateful for it when I played a notoriously swampy course in Arkansas and found myself slogging through ankle-deep standing water across the whole of three fairways -- the only time water got in was when I moved too quickly and sloshed some in over the top of them.

The only real complaint I had with the 977s was that with the solid leather upper and the GoreTex liner, my feet got a bit hot when playing in the summer. They also were a little bit heavier than the ideal. So when NB's web store had a sale and free shipping offer back around the beginning of the summer, I went ahead and splurged on a pair of 1201s also (they were $129, $20 off the regular $149). They're the ones I was wearing at the GCO last weekend. I have absolutely no complaints whatever with them. They offer tons of support, making it much easier to get around ERP, are light and comfortable, etc. And their waterproof qualities have been very welcome a couple of times recently, once out at the Crucible in Athens when I had to step into a running creek very nearly the depth of the top of the shoe to retrieve a disc, and never got the slightest hint of water inside them, and again last weekend at the GCO with all the heavy dew on the grass out at Lenora.

I can't say how well they'd hold up to playing several rounds a week from concrete pads (I only play the blacks at ERP when we use them for weekly singles/doubles action), but both pair are still in excellent condition so far and showing no signs of wear, beyond slight wear on the treads of the older 977s.

While I didn't use them for DG, I did have a pair of Columbia TrailMeister low-top hiking shoes that I liked a lot and that had many of the same qualities as the NB shoes (without the waterproofing), but my wife somehow contrived to lose them in one of our hotel rooms on our trip to Florida this summer. They were intended to replace my long-beloved NB 641s that are finally starting to fall apart after six or seven years of regular (often daily) wear. I replaced them recently -- between the practice rounds at Lenora and Alex the weekend before the GCO, I stopped at the Shoe Carnival at Scenic Highway and Reagan Parkway (my son's socks weren't working out at all after one round) and found a pair of NB 780s in my size and width, for about $85 -- not cheap, but if they last anywhere near as long as the 641s, they'll have only cost me about $15/year.

For Alex and Lenora, you probably don't need the support and hiking-boot features of the 1201s or even the 977s. The 645s might be worth looking at, and they're on sale right now at NB Web Express for $67.49 instead of $74.99. The 749s also might work and are on clearance for $63.69 (reg $84.99). If you don't need wide widths, DSW tends to have a lot of Merrell models, which are pretty popular with the regular players around here, at relatively reasonable ($60-$90) prices.

I have Merrell Moab Ventilators, I spent $95 and I like that they are VERY durable and show no signs of wear and dislike the high arch and sometimes they feel "clunky". I have had them for 18 months.
102976_366_45.jpg

I also have New Balance 850s, I spent $40 and I like that they are extremely comfortable and light-weight and the soles are vibram and very durable and dislike nothing about them. I have had them for 2 years. These are my go to shoes.
new-balance-850-s.jpg

I've been looking around too...Have those newbalance's heel(inner) torn up at all? Because I've switched over to newbalance and had two shoes which had the inner cloth cover for the heal(not the sole more like akiles heel area) just tear up within a year or less.

I've been looking around too...Have those newbalance's heel(inner) torn up at all? Because I've switched over to newbalance and had two shoes which had the inner cloth cover for the heal(not the sole more like akiles heel area) just tear up within a year or less.
I wear New Balence and have narrow feet and they've torn up. Of course that happens to pretty much all my shoes that have cloth back there. It hasn't caused any issues with these shoes, though.

I actually had some Merrils that were fantastic except that they tore up in the heel like that and then started tearing up my heel. The NB's haven't done that.

For Alex and Lenora, you probably don't need the support and hiking-boot features of the 1201s or even the 977s. The 645s might be worth looking at, and they're on sale right now at NB Web Express for $67.49 instead of $74.99. The 749s also might work and are on clearance for $63.69 (reg $84.99). If you don't need wide widths, DSW tends to have a lot of Merrell models, which are pretty popular with the regular players around here, at relatively reasonable ($60-$90) prices.

There are some wide model merrells, but I've never tried them out, and I usually have to get wide models too. It always seems like non wide models just squeeze your feet so unless most men have tiny feet I don't understand non wide shoes.

102976_366_45.jpg

QUOTE]

I have the Merrel Moabs in a mid. They were suppose to be Gortex, but I doubt they were. Really comfortable. Excellent on hills and grass. I actually need to replace my divot on fareway drives. The soles (Vibram) lasted longer than my Timberlands. The Merrels soles are now showing signs of wear. I try to play 4 or 5 rounds (more in the summer) a week. These were an early Fathers Day present. I prolly have 150 or more rounds on them. I should be able to get another 150 rounds on them.
I would like to try that Shoe Goo on them to see if it slows the wear.

I wear New Balence and have narrow feet and they've torn up. Of course that happens to pretty much all my shoes that have cloth back there. It hasn't caused any issues with these shoes, though.

I actually had some Merrils that were fantastic except that they tore up in the heel like that and then started tearing up my heel. The NB's haven't done that.

Well actually If your New Balance shoes tore up, then you know that plastic piece that's at the heel? Because I've had that really poke at my akiles heel area though the ones I have now used to and don't anymore. I'm curious how well these will hold up with a full year of use though on concrete tees. I currently don't know what model I have but it was the only pair that was fully black with leather(probably cheap leather), and these things tore the heel area within less than a year.

To tell the truth new balance shoes are the first brand that I've had the issue described above. I think I used to get nike shoes and never remember this issue happening(especially so fast).

I've seen something similar with other NB shoes in the past -- walking/cross-training shoes that I wore regularly. Hasn't been a problem until recently on the ancient 641s -- like I said, I've worn them regularly for six years or more, and they've only in the last year begun to wear thin at the heel, and even then it's more a matter of being somewhat threadbare rather than having actually torn up. There are small holes in the fabric liner on the side of the heel at the bottom, near the sock liner/insole on both of the shoes, but it's never caused me any problems. I think one reason they haven't worn through there may be that the 641s don't have a rigid plastic piece capping the heel -- they're completely pliable, albeit slightly thicker than the material on either side -- probably just an extra layer or two of fabric. The other NB shoes where I wore out the heel fabric definitely were a lot more rigid and you could feel the plastic (or whatever) piece through the covering material once they started to break down. The 780s I just bought also feel much more rigid around the heel.

Haven't seen any indication (yet) of any similar issue with either pair of hiking boots. Don't have them here with me to check the heel construction (they live in the garage when I'm not wearing them on the course).

Latest posts