• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destination cities for quality AND quantity?

Augusta, Georgia, might not be a bad choice, either. You've got the IDGC, Patriots Park, the Hippodrome, Riverview, Pendleton King and Lake Olmstead. Mistletoe State Park is a nice campground, and I haven't camped at Wildwood, but it looks nice.

I put the twin cities on my list of great destinations, but I don't agree that they have absolute top notch courses. What they do have is some really nicely manicured courses with great amenities, which appeals to a lot of people.

Agreed ^

Des Moines is similar, imo. The courses are loved and well taken care of, but they lack in the diversity category.

The Quad Cities has better diversity. And a few real stand out courses in West Lake, Camden's Dark Side, and Devil's Glen.

Unless your wife is insisting on a trip outside of NC Charlotte is pretty obvious. I would suggest about 3-4 days on Charlotte and give yourself a day or two to head up to the mountains and hit at least a few great courses there. For a quick side trip Yadkinville, Wilkesboro and Ashe County aren't hard to hit in one day if need be. If you give it more time there are some great privates as well as Richmond Hill in the mountains. And of you stretch just a tiny bit you could sneak in a day at Harmon Hills. I'm sure with some planning a camper would be welcome there.

Agreed ^

Des Moines is similar, imo. The courses are loved and well taken care of, but they lack in the diversity category.

The Quad Cities has better diversity. And a few real stand out courses in West Lake, Camden's Dark Side, and Devil's Glen.

For me the Quad Cities falls into a second level of destination cities with places like DFW (tons of courses but very spread out and few real standouts), Bowling Green (lots of good courses in a small area but no great ones outside of Holler in the Hills), Portland etc. The top courses are really good in the QC but there's a pretty big dropoff after that.

Greenville, SC, is also a decent choice; Timmons Park (Greenville), Tyger River (Duncan), Shoally Creek (Boiling Springs), Grand Central (Central), (If you go out to Central, Shaver Rec in Seneca is worth the ten minute drive), The Trails (Anderson), Foothills DGC (Easley; not in the best shape but still a great course to play), and Century Park (Greer; usually pretty crowded and the place is cramped, but there are some really great holes).

I have to give it to my area in the twin cities being up there. By ratings many of the smaller courses might be forgotten but I a overall experience you can literally drive 10 minutes and stop a different courses from high level to rec which IMO is what a good DG scene is about. Schools, businesses, public and private parks/land the whole mix. Elevation, golf course DG, woods water whateverrrrr

Due is in NC with an RV guys. With a week's time he isn't likely to spend 4-5 days driving. :wall:

Due is in NC with an RV guys. With a week's time he isn't likely to spend 4-5 days driving. :wall:

Are you suggesting we try to answer the O.P.'s question? Or be helpful? Why, when we can just brag about how our hometowns are the best? If we don't do it now, when will we get another chance?

For me the Quad Cities falls into a second level of destination cities with places like DFW (tons of courses but very spread out and few real standouts), Bowling Green (lots of good courses in a small area but no great ones outside of Holler in the Hills), Portland etc. The top courses are really good in the QC but there's a pretty big dropoff after that.

Yeah. It's not Ann Arbor, KC, or Cinci.
What I got focused on, was Nemmers saying "greatest variety" in the OP. So I'm thinking of places with something unique to it's surrounding geography, which is hard to do.

If I lived in NC, roadtrippin to more Northern Appalachia country would make sense. West Virginia / Pittsburgh can't be too far away!?

Reno seems like it would make for a fun road trip with all the courses surrounding Lake Tahoe. Lots of Forest Service land makes for free camping. Just find a trailhead parking lot or scenic overlook and park the camper for the night. People who have been there could better comment on the quality of courses.

Of the places I have been, I would give a nod to Conifer, CO. Obviously you would need to plan ahead to get a tee time at Phantom Falls and Bucksnort. You would also want to plan the trip for when Bailey is open, which I believe is during the summer. And again, surrounded by National Forest. Only 20-30 minutes from Denver.

Are you suggesting we try to answer the O.P.'s question? Or be helpful? Why, when we can just brag about how our hometowns are the best? If we don't do it now, when will we get another chance?

Thank you. Now lets watch all the other meaningless respones!

In my defense I have done the same stupid ****. Sometimes I am not going to read the whole thread. But at least read and understand the first post. :wall:

Reno seems like it would make for a fun road trip with all the courses surrounding Lake Tahoe. Lots of Forest Service land makes for free camping. Just find a trailhead parking lot or scenic overlook and park the camper for the night. People who have been there could better comment on the quality of courses.

Of the places I have been, I would give a nod to Conifer, CO. Obviously you would need to plan ahead to get a tee time at Phantom Falls and Bucksnort. You would also want to plan the trip for when Bailey is open, which I believe is during the summer. And again, surrounded by National Forest. Only 20-30 minutes from Denver.

Yeah, one week of vacation from the Atlantic Ocean will get him how much time in Tahoe? At least a good 10 minute round!:D

Based on the stats from that earlier link, looks like my home town (Dallas/Ft.Worth) wins. ;) Plenty of courses and several highly rated courses. And if you have time, head down south to Selah Ranch!

Based on the stats from that earlier link, looks like my home town (Dallas/Ft.Worth) wins. ;) Plenty of courses and several highly rated courses. And if you have time, head down south to Selah Ranch!

erm, what? Head down south from Dallas/FtWorth to get to Selah?

Or am I reading that wrong?

Thank you. Now lets watch all the other meaningless respones!

You mean, like when the O.P. asks about one location and courses within 30 miles, and the answer is ".....and Cleveland is only 4 hours away!"? Maybe my geography's bad, or perhaps the traffic is horrendous in some of these places.

The O.P. hinted that this is for himself, but didn't specifically say "Within a day's drive of Wilmington." Grodney's post (#11) pretty much answered the actual question.

But you have to think, whether Charlotte is the best city or only the 8th-best city or whatever, if someone's from Wilmington and hasn't played Charlotte yet, that's got to be the place to start. Certainly enough challenging, fun, quality, variety of courses to fill up a week.

Yeah, one week of vacation from the Atlantic Ocean will get him how much time in Tahoe? At least a good 10 minute round!:D

You know that your "useless posts" take up just as much space as mine, right? But that's fine, because isn't the internet primarily used for wasting time? I know that's why I come to a website discussing disc golf courses.

Other people, myself included, often dream about a week-long disc golf road trip. If it's too far for him, it might be just right for someone else. Maybe my destinations didn't add to this discussion, but I hope the idea of planning it around public land did. Save money by staying out of the cities. I'm assuming that's his plan, since he has a camper. And "camping" at rest stops and around large cities can get old fast.

Also, I'm flying to the Tahoe area for a weekend in February. Won't have time to disc and am assuming there will be snow anyway. So I'm really just trying to live vicariously through the OP.