• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

DFW has some really nice courses. The DG scene has come a long way since we had to play the 9-hole course in East Plano back in the mid-90's. Still not a fan of that course, even with an extra 9 added in.

Best courses I've played:

Veterans
Towne Lake
Lake Lewisville

On my to-do list:

Harry Myers
Lester Lorch Coyote
Lester Lorch Beaver (both were closed when my buddies and I drove out there in early March)

Harry Myers is my home course, so I can't help but be a bit biased there. However, If I had an out-of-towner, I'd make the trip out to Cedar Hill for Lester Lorch. All-in-all, it's the best dg atmosphere in the area with a great layout for all levels of ability.

Now, if I was to list my favorites, it would go as follows:
Harry Myers
Lester Lorch (both courses)
Towne Lake

ZBoaz is a great course, but with it's issues. Too crowded and the punk factor is too high. A great course to play in the morning on a weekday.

That is exactly why Z boaz is not one of my Favorites anymore. Coyote at Lester Lorch is by far my favorite course of all time and the Beaver course is not that bad either. All and All you can't go wrong with Cedar Hill. I need to play Rockwall though.

Add Turner Park in Grand Prairie to the list. I played there when I was back in Dallas recently for a wedding (see my review), and I was very impressed. Blew the doors off other new DFW area courses, IMHO.

(For the record, I'm pasting in links to my reviews of the courses -- not to garner thumbs up or down (don't need them/not worried about them), but to help folks who are interested in the courses... saves typing by repeating comments already posted there in far more detail.)

I learned to play disc golf in DFW in the late 90s, and have lived there more than anywhere else since then, so I watched the scene grow there. If I were going to rate DFW area courses, my top five would be:

Cedar Hill (both courses count together)
Turner Park
Veteran's Park
Harry Meyer
Z-Boaz

Of those, I freely admit giving extra points to Veterans for nostalgia factor. And extra points to Turner park for sheer "fun factor." I highly recommend getting out there if you are in the area; it surprised me a lot. I'm back in DFW once or twice a year, and I try to play at least two new courses each time -- whatever the hottest new courses are that have opened since the last time -- and I've got to say that Turner is the first one I feel deserves its rating. I was very disappointed with Towne Lake, Gateway Park, North Park, etc...

Add Turner Park in Grand Prairie to the list. I played there when I was back in Dallas recently for a wedding (see my review), and I was very impressed. Blew the doors off other new DFW area courses, IMHO.

(For the record, I'm pasting in links to my reviews of the courses -- not to garner thumbs up or down (don't need them/not worried about them), but to help folks who are interested in the courses... saves typing by repeating comments already posted there in far more detail.)

I learned to play disc golf in DFW in the late 90s, and have lived there more than anywhere else since then, so I watched the scene grow there. If I were going to rate DFW area courses, my top five would be:

Cedar Hill (both courses count together)
Turner Park
Veteran's Park
Harry Meyer
Z-Boaz

Of those, I freely admit giving extra points to Veterans for nostalgia factor. And extra points to Turner park for sheer "fun factor." I highly recommend getting out there if you are in the area; it surprised me a lot. I'm back in DFW once or twice a year, and I try to play at least two new courses each time -- whatever the hottest new courses are that have opened since the last time -- and I've got to say that Turner is the first one I feel deserves its rating. I was very disappointed with Towne Lake, Gateway Park, North Park, etc...

if you had played Towne Lake a few days later, you would have played a completely different course. Looking great right now.

in unrelated news, i just hit bronze reviewer status :D

I played around Fort Worth and Dallas with Donovan a while back, and I really enjoyed every course we played. I didn't get to hit all the good ones, but I was impressed with the ones I got to. I also enjoyed Donovan and the guys in his group. I have polayed most of the Charlotte, NC courses and think the Dallas/Ft. Worth has a similar quality oif DG to offer. It's different due to climate and geography, but it's really good. Since I didn't run into any slimey reptiles I'd say Lester Lorch was my favorite, but the others were good also. I can't wait to get back and try some more. Z Boaz and Veterans were really nice also.

I'm with you brother! Lester Lorch is hands down, the odds on favorite. Coyote over Beaver if I had to choose "THE ONE".

Harry Meyers, ZBoaz, Turner Park, Bicentennial, & Towne Lake(North of DFW) are all great choices and worth everyone's time.

The front 9 of Lake Lewisville is a beautiful visual experience and Saddle Hills is the one of the best 9-hole courses I have played.

thanks!
i haven't played either of those courses yet but i look forward to getting out there now that my school semester is wrapping up. my goal is to play all of DFW by the end of the summer.

Cedar hill for sure. No doubt about it. There's other fantastic courses in the area, but Cedar Hill is 36 Holes, 2 seperate 18's that are quite different in regards to what shots you'll need to have in you're arsenal.

Cedar Hill gets my vote....

This would have been a good poll.:thmbup:

You must have made a mistake: Z-B is on niether list. :p

I've never made it over to Ft. Worth to throw, but I really want to. I'd have to make a day of it sometime since I'm coming from McK.

And I might just start at Z-B and go from there...what other FW courses should I play while I'm out there?

lol, we met in Temple.... close to 3 hours away from both our homes....

that was pretty random. interesting circumstances. i talked to several other people from DFW there that day.

I live in Denton!

if you're a mckinney local, we should hit those up together. i haven't been yet. :thmbup:

I've never made it over to Ft. Worth to throw, but I really want to. I'd have to make a day of it sometime since I'm coming from McK.

And I might just start at Z-B and go from there...what other FW courses should I play while I'm out there?

Becentenial in Crowley, Saddle Hills in White Settlement, Greenbriar in Fort Worth, Gateway in Fort Worth....are all about 15 min. from the Z.

I say Becentenial. Personally, my favorite course. You'll like it.

Latest posts