• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

How is Saddle Hills looking?

It is the last course I have not played in DFW. I did play it when it was 9 holes.

The "original nine" are still there and are well kept. There is more grass and the trees are better trimmed than they used to be.

The "new nine" (that are in the middle of the round) is raw and more challenging. It's cut back weeds and mud. There's plenty of elevation changes. A couple of filler holes, but the rest are quality design. Unfortunately, you'll either need a lot of time to scout the course or get a guide for your first time playing them. Navigation aides are non-existent and there are blind shots from the tee. The course doesn't flow well and the trails haven't been beat in enough to make it easy to know where to go next. It's NOT stroller friendly. There's a couple of steep climbs or very long walks. Hole 14 is epic or unplayable -- depending on your taste in disc golf. I love it, but there's climbing involved. The new nine is no walk in the park.

It's fun if you're into tough hikes and climbing, but not if you're looking for a "golf course" style of play.

How is Saddle Hills looking?

It is the last course I have not played in DFW. I did play it when it was 9 holes.

I've played it three or 4 times. Its a nice challenge. You do not want to play after a rain as several holes will be in standing water, and will stink. I do suggest playing with someone who has played it before cause it can be confusing from 9 to 12 I think, and 14 needs a walk up before you throw. It has a crazy blind hook around left

giles

Hey giles I can check my schedule for this week. I may have thurs evening off and can meet you over there. That way you have a guide. I could play Friday but don't want to play to much as I have a tourney at greenbriar on Saturday. Or if this week isn't good we can go play it some other time. I like the course but I agree with 14 being either epic or evil unplayable

Hey giles I can check my schedule for this week. I may have thurs evening off and can meet you over there. That way you have a guide. I could play Friday but don't want to play to much as I have a tourney at greenbriar on Saturday. Or if this week isn't good we can go play it some other time. I like the course but I agree with 14 being either epic or evil unplayable

Thanks everyone for the info. It is as I feared.

Thanks for the offer hop, I'll keep it in mind and pm you if I get a chance to head that way. Slim-to-none chance I can make it Thursday. I work in McKinney till 4 on weekdays so I would have to leave work early and try and sneak around traffic, probably go through Denton and down 35W, an hour and a half trip with no traffic...

I may have to just settle for having played the 9 hole.

Finally got to play Greenbelt with 18 holes on Saturday. The past 4-5 years I have only known it to be 1,2,11-18.

Some cool stuff in the front 9! I particularly like the short tomahawk and the tee from under the bridge holes. Nothing too fancy, but great use of space. Creek still in play for the majority of holes. I imagine if they combine that with sidewalk OB it will make you think twice before running the chains from the tee.

Rumor in the Arlington thread of a Desoto course and the thread was created because the Arlington Disc Golf Association is in talks with the city to get another course, possibly in at Kelly park.

Anna (North of McKinney) is also getting a course, from what I could find, it looks to be a very long curse, no idea how open or wooded it will be.

Savannah will also be getting a course. Savannah is a housing development off 380 midway between McKinney and Denton.

Brandon w/ IOM is working on getting a course in at Oakland Lake Park in fort worth but it is in the early stages

Last edited:
I'll be in the Plano TX area around Thanksgiving. Which courses are close that are worth the limited time I have?

I'll be in the Plano TX area around Thanksgiving. Which courses are close that are worth the limited time I have?

If you are near 75 I'd go up to McKinney. Alex Clark is old short fun pitch and putt golf, 1 mile away Towne Lake is more modern but currently mostly in the short pins. These courses are on the edge of the metro so don't pull players from all over. Towne Lake is never busy.

The course in Plano sucks, I live 5 minutes away and never play it. Bethany Lake in Allen takes way too long to play for a 9 hole and it is very easy to lose a disc on almost every hole, (hole 9 is cool though)

I like Bill Allen a lot. Lake Park in lewisville is great but can get busy.
Carrollton, Porter is ok, Greenbelt isn't that good.

Harry Myers is cool. Hole 3 could be the best multi-shot hole in DFW.

Bear Creek is a nice course, but you won't be "airing it out" there. It does have a baseball field by the parking lot where you can throw a few for distance. #14 long is about 350 feet (if that far). The rest are shorter or technical.

As for transportation, you said you only have 6-8 hours... you'll need a rental car. Public transportation isn't going to work for you.

I'd avoid the north Fort Worth area. It has very good disc golf courses, but it also has huge construction projects on most of the the highways.

Turner Park would be the best place to air it out and still be able to fit in your limited time frame.

Have fun.

The traffic here is TERRIBLE because of construction! :wall:

Yeah I lived in Waco for about five years and for my job traveled all over the state so I got plenty of Fort Worth traffic to last a lifetime. Emac recommended Towne Lake so I think I will hit that one up for sure and then if I have time I will check out some of the others you mentioned, Giles. Thanks for the info.

You can play Towne Lake then go right under the bridge at 75 and play Alex Clark as a cool down course

If you're playing solo Towne Lake should be like 1 hour and a half, and Alex Clark is doable in under an hour.

Just in time for winter. Enjoy and have a safe drive..... how many courses are you going to hit along the way?

none on this trip, as I'm driving all the way with no major stop and will have stuff in the back of my truck, but I'm flying back to pick up our other car and may try and do Cal Young in Abilene, Cloman in Brownfeild and Towle in Snyder. Stay the night in Roswell and make the rest of the trip the next day.

I am looking for a DGCR/DFW hookup. In from Nashvegas.

Hoping to play on Thanksgiving morning. Maybe Turner, or Cedar Hill, or Veterans, or even Crossroads.

Just me and my son. Post here if you want to hook up.
Thanks,
Ron Pittman

You can play Towne Lake then go right under the bridge at 75 and play Alex Clark as a cool down course

If you're playing solo Towne Lake should be like 1 hour and a half, and Alex Clark is doable in under an hour.

That's gonna be my plan for Friday. If I can sneak out on Thursday I might try Alex Clark quickly. It looks to be pretty short with a lot of ace runs. I can hopefully just take my six disc nutsac with two putters, two mids, and two fairways.

Went to Shawnee Park in Plano this morning since it's close to my sister's place. Nothing I would travel for but if I was local it has potential if you do your own order of holes. Friendly local told me the layout maybe one of the posters here.

I live in The Colony and I'm thinking about hitting a round at Bill Allen either later this afternoon (3-4ish...if I'm not in a food coma) or even tomorrow afternoon. If anyone would like to join me, shoot me a text and we'll work out the time. (512) 694-8878.

Happy Turkey Day!
-Dylan-

Played Alex Clark yesterday and Towne Lake today. Great locals at all the courses. Alex Clark was easy scoring but fun and Towne Lake had some nasty winds but was truly a great course. Had a great time in the area.