• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

I know Brad said there were short tees at Trophy Club but only the longs had poured concrete. I didn't know there were a third set of short/middle tees. The square tiles with the 'X's on them are the drop zones for the mandos. That could make it a little confusing. That and some of the old tee boxes are still there (the gravel filled boxes).

I'm pretty sure every hole had a set of X tees. Not all the holes had mandos, so I really didn't think they were drop zones. I guess it could be, but it really looked like another set of tees.

I'm pretty sure every hole had a set of X tees. Not all the holes had mandos, so I really didn't think they were drop zones. I guess it could be, but it really looked like another set of tees.

In that case I'm sure you're right. For the tournament we only played from the concrete tees. There are a set of short tees out there marked with 1x1 paving stones. I never looked close enough at them to see if they were X's, numbers, or what.

I'm still looking for another day I can get out and play the course again. It really is that much fun.

The stones with X's were used as drop zones. If there are more of them out there now I'm not sure why. A local placed the other numbered stones for short tees for the time being. Concrete will be poured for short tees hopefully within the next couple of months. Most likely several of the current short tee positions will change.

I played the new course in Anna yesterday and I'm not sure how to respond to it. There are things about it I liked. There are things about it I didn't like at all. I don't know how to rate this course.

The blue tees are obviously made for men's open players. It's insanely long and the angles are difficult.

The white tees are challenging to the player that plays three or four times a week all year long. It's long and some of the angles are much easier than the open, but still tough enough to not be boring.

I didn't really look at the red tee positions. They are natural tees that are played by a marker. No comment.

The fairways are clearly defined, mowed and many have good grass on them already. A big plus.
The rough is as tall as waist high and is commonly knee high. I saw a grass snake on the first hole.
The long, mowed fairways and "out of control" rough gives the course a US Open (ball golf) feel.
I didn't see any water in the creek at all. I'm sure it's there right after a rain, but most of the time this is a dry course.

This is a mostly open, very flat course. It's a long way from the parking lot. I'd consider a rolling cooler in the summer. No kidding.

It was designed to play as difficult as the land would allow. It's a success from that standpoint. I played in the wind and the open design made approach shots pretty tough. It plays to the south early and back to the north late. Lots of head and tailwinds. Not a lot of crosswinds here.

Good signs from the blue tees. I played the whites, but had to go to the blue tees to see the hole layouts and next tee from the basket. Most of the holes are blind shots from the tee. It's tough the first round. Knowing the course will help a lot.

I haven't reviewed it because I have really mixed feeling about it. I think I'd really like this course in the winter.

If they could mow the rough on a very high mower setting (6-8 inches high) it would be a LOT better.

hmm, interesting.

It was designed to play as difficult as the land would allow. It's a success from that standpoint.

If they could mow the rough on a very high mower setting (6-8 inches high) it would be a LOT better.

so, if it is meant to be challenging and we'll presume that's a good thing then what would you rate the course if it were mowed and maintained to your satisfaction?

i just stopped by here the other day but the sun had gone down and i just played the first hole. i had also already played 90 holes that day on a course bagging trip so i wasn't real torn up about not playing the whole thing.

so, if it is meant to be challenging and we'll presume that's a good thing then what would you rate the course if it were mowed and maintained to your satisfaction?

If it had been mowed the way i would've liked it, it would be more fun to play, but it wouldn't change the course at all as far as play.

I don't think it's fun to walk through speargrass, so mowing is for comfort only. The course needs the rough.

I played the new course in Anna yesterday...

The fairways are clearly defined, mowed and many have good grass on them already. A big plus.
The rough is as tall as waist high and is commonly knee high. I saw a grass snake on the first hole.
The long, mowed fairways and "out of control" rough gives the course a US Open (ball golf) feel.
This is a mostly open, very flat course.
By the way you described it, would you compare this course to Spingfield Park in Rowlett then?

i doubt that, other than maybe in terms of grass and maintenance

It looked pretty cool. It also helped to locate the blind baskets because you followed the fairways.

Wearing long pants is a good idea, but not practical considering the coming heat.

Agreed, it only looked us open. Although it plays difficult if you only throw 300 feet or less, there was nothing unusual or unfair about it. It was a continuous beating.

By the way you described it, would you compare this course to Spingfield Park in Rowlett then?

definitly not. It isn't wide open like springfield. It isn't a swamp like springfield. Disc golfers designed the anna course. Springfield is no more golf than putting greens on soccer and baseball fields would be ball golf.

the tree line is utilized on almost every hole in anna. You are either playing into, through or out of it. The openness of anna is the long fairways in between the obstacles. It ia only a beating because it's long hole after long hole. Very little relief from the sun and a long walk back to the parking lot for refreshments.

A few positive observations about slayter creek course in anna.

It would be a great tournament course. It would be fun for night rounds. Although it's mostly open, you rarely get to just grip it and rip it. Lines are forced, requiring skill as well as distance to score well.

This is probably not the course to teach someone to play, but alex clark isn't far away. It's humbling to players that can't throw far. Even from the red tees.

Playing Harry Myers today I noticed that new sockets for alternate pin positions have been installed on a majority of the holes. Any news on this and who is doing it?

Thanks for the response and for your descriptions, eegor. That gives me a good idea of what to expect when playing Anna. Now if I can just find a good overcast day for playing it. :)

Anyone in DFW know a Britt Browning PDGA # 23753? I found a disc of hers I think she'd want back, have a feeling it's been lost a pretty long time and the phone # on it apparently isn't hers anymore.

Andrew Brown update- coppell texas

anyone who has played AB in Coppell texas knows that its the worst course in DFW and simply used for field practice for me, since its literally 400 feet from my house
well my son had field day the other day and i was able to pick the brain of the parks supervisor.

2 years ago i emailed the city about possible renovation for the Houck designed course, they pretty much told me there were no plans to do anything with the course. that was 2 years ago. Well on Friday i asked the same question to the parks guy and he told me they are starting phase 1 of the park and that will entail pulling the course for renovations and then phase 3 of 3 will reinstall the course. So that's good news for the future of the course. I'm going to push that the course get a total redesign.
will keep everyone posted as the information comes in. I'm attending a city council meeting june 10th

Andrew Brown update- coppell texas

anyone who has played AB in Coppell texas knows that its the worst course in DFW and simply used for field practice for me, since its literally 400 feet from my house
well my son had field day the other day and i was able to pick the brain of the parks supervisor.

2 years ago i emailed the city about possible renovation for the Houck designed course, they pretty much told me there were no plans to do anything with the course. that was 2 years ago. Well on Friday i asked the same question to the parks guy and he told me they are starting phase 1 of the park and that will entail pulling the course for renovations and then phase 3 of 3 will reinstall the course. So that's good news for the future of the course. I'm going to push that the course get a total redesign.
will keep everyone posted as the information comes in. I'm attending a city council meeting june 10th

You could probably get an awesome 9 hole course with two or three tee pads each on that property. There really isn't the land for 18 holes without getting pretty much what you have there now.