• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR's best resource

prerube

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hi everyone, It has been a while since I have hopped into the forums. Not because I have learned everything, but because the sport changes so rapidly that I now know nothing. The knowledge shared in here is a great resource. I used to spend hours in the forums learning everything I could to improve my game, the value of discs, and share my experiences traveling to review courses. However, the information is not the most valuable thing I have gained, it is the people here.
In DGCR forums I met one of my closest friends, I was even best man at his wedding. Another DGCR user reached out to me when I was robbed and offered to help me out financially with no catch. Several DGCR users donated money to me when I was trying to start a Deaf disc golf clinic for children near DC.

So in this thread, if you wouldn't mind, share a way DGCR has helped you out. Names, no names, it doesn't matter.

Hi everyone, It has been a while since I have hopped into the forums. Not because I have learned everything, but because the sport changes so rapidly that I now know nothing. The knowledge shared in here is a great resource. I used to spend hours in the forums learning everything I could to improve my game, the value of discs, and share my experiences traveling to review courses. However, the information is not the most valuable thing I have gained, it is the people here.
In DGCR forums I met one of my closest friends, I was even best man at his wedding. Another DGCR user reached out to me when I was robbed and offered to help me out financially with no catch. Several DGCR users donated money to me when I was trying to start a Deaf disc golf clinic for children near DC.

So in this thread, if you wouldn't mind, share a way DGCR has helped you out. Names, no names, it doesn't matter.

when i first got on Discgolfcoursereview your were a verb. I learned how to use the search feature real quick, so for that i thank you.

I miss the days where I could post in the road trip forum section and get seen by many regional players, including insider suggestions and meet up opportunities.

Now I feel like nobody sees it when I post in there.

This is me agreeing with you, the people are the best resource. All the people I've met over the years, or all of the information people have given me over the years. Definitely helped feed the addiction.

Getting to meet and throw with fellow course bagging reviewers and discussing course baggin travels has been very enjoyable.

It started with meeting Thrembo in Florida. Then Mr Butlerton, GMcAtee, wericsson, craigd, Davetherocketguy, markmcc, Cerealman, MusicMatt77, Shadrach3, Moose33 and edfaits.

I'm looking forward to meeting and throwing with many more.

Had some fun games of Civ6 with Juke and got some great tips on my Colorado road trip this past September. I also really enjoy tracking the PDGA # thread and thought of Platbee the other day when I used a disc to support a paper plate full of food.

I miss the days where I could post in the road trip forum section and get seen by many regional players, including insider suggestions and meet up opportunities.

Now I feel like nobody sees it when I post in there.

This is me agreeing with you, the people are the best resource. All the people I've met over the years, or all of the information people have given me over the years. Definitely helped feed the addiction.

I remember how excited I was meeting up with you in Baltimore during your travels.

DGCR saved my sanity during COVID.

When I went back to bedside nursing April/May 2020, I started an AMA thread about how things were going in hospitals. I thought it would be a good way to provide inside information, on this part of the new pandemic. I think it did that, but it became a lot more to me. I found that the experience was overwhelming, for a bunch of reasons. My posting and talking about the experience, as I went through it, was indescribably helpful and cathartic. Looking back, it was nearly lifesaving. The scars and occasional battles, that the experience has left me, were more than I could have imaged then. There were a bunch of posters, some going through the same thing, that were very kind and thoughtful, during the adventure. I thank them from the deepest recesses of my heart. They will likely never really understand what they did for me and what it now means.

DGCR saved my sanity during COVID.

When I went back to bedside nursing April/May 2020, I started an AMA thread about how things were going in hospitals. I thought it would be a good way to provide inside information, on this part of the new pandemic. I think it did that, but it became a lot more to me. I found that the experience was overwhelming, for a bunch of reasons. My posting and talking about the experience, as I went through it, was indescribably helpful and cathartic. Looking back, it was nearly lifesaving. The scars and occasional battles, that the experience has left me, were more than I could have imaged then. There were a bunch of posters, some going through the same thing, that were very kind and thoughtful, during the adventure. I thank them from the deepest recesses of my heart. They will likely never really understand what they did for me and what it now means.

From a Fellow Nurse.
Thank You!

I'll start with the 118 DGCR members listed on my profile that I've met or played with.

I've learned to look at courses much more objectively than I think I ever would have without DGCR. I feel like I actually have a good handle on what makes a course good or bad, and how to go about designing a course.

DGCR helped me realize there are courses out there worth travelling to, and exactly where they are. Because of that, I've seen more of my community, my state, and my country.

Now, when I visit my family for the holidays, I enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

Also DGCR folks who've hooked me up to play some sweet, unlisted, private courses, some of which no longer exist, so I'm glad I got hooked up when I did.

From a Fellow Nurse.
Thank You!
NO....thank you!!!

The entire hero term has become overused and abused, at times. But, healthcare professionals and nurses in particular, are freaking superheros.

Thank you both, and anyone else involved with patient care!

Last edited:
DGCR, particularly in the pre-UDisc days, has brought dozens and dozens of people to our private course, from the far reaches of the country, and beyond. I've met a lot of you, and stayed in touch with some, mostly on DGCR.

A distant second, but the rules forum helped me as people kicked around rules and presented scenarios, that I would never imagine from just reading the rules text. Very helpful as a TD, to have had the chance to think through some of those things.

I've only been playing since about 2017 so I still consider myself relatively new to the game. While I'm pretty happy with my game in general there's still lots of stuff I can learn from those with more experience. So basically I'm here to learn from others and if I can occasionally provide an opinion to someone else then that's just a bonus.

The course database is amazing and encouraged me to get to play many courses and states that, otherwise, I wouldn't have.

As others have mentioned, getting to meet some of the people has been wonderful. GFLAP was the first person I met from DGCR and we met up on several occasions. I haven't seen him in years but our rounds were always fun.

I was going to play Rockburn Branch before a flight from BWI about 10 years ago. Swatso agreed to meet me for an early morning round. Of course, when I met him, both he and DWill showed up. If you've ever met Swatso, he's not a small man. Honestly, I thought that I was going to get rolled. Little did I know that we'd still be friends to this day and get in a round when possible.

The in depth course reviews have been a tremendous aid when I travel. There are certain things I really like when I play a course, and the short, shallow Udisc reviews just don't cut it. I have played some truly great courses (to me), not because they were 5 star, but because they had the things I personally like in a course, some of which really don't thrill others! Things only a more in depth review would even point out.

I am looking forward to meeting some other users this year. With 5 kids typically in tow when I travel, sometimes that is not terribly possible.

DGCR probably kept me in the game. bagging courses became an obsession and without that i probably would have gotten bored playing the home course with the same old group. don't get me wrong, that is still fun, but it's not quite enough that it would have kept me involved for these nearly 15 years.

but what is most obvious to me is the impact of traveling simply to play courses. i never would have done that without DGCR and without that there are places that i never would have visited. for example:
Rolla, MO - to hit Ozark Mtn
Columbia, MO - Harmony Bends
Emporia, KS - GBO
Hwy 285, CO - Phantom Falls, Bailey
Cincy, OH - Idlewild
half of Nebraska - course bagging + solar eclipse road trip
Phoenix to Moab to Denver to Rapid City to Twin Cities to Flip to Grand Rapids (Founder's Brewing) to Detroit to Rochester on a DG, college friends, and brewery trip across the country

i never would have had the reason or motivation to go to any of those places or take those trips without DGCR as a resource. that also doesn't take into account the dozens of small towns i've driven to or through bagging courses in Texas.

Latest posts