• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN for 2022

I've got that sinking feeling that after these two years are up, everything will be behind their paywall. Those who have the itch for post produced coverage will be waiting until long after the event, trying their damndest to avoid spoilers, when the coverage will be released by DGN to the individual YT pages.

Don't get me wrong; I actually like watching live disc golf. Other than Nate Doss, I like the commentary. I'm just usually really busy, or I can watch like half the round but not the whole thing. I let my PDGA membership expire and have no plans on renewing it; I did the same with DGN.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's "2 years" but really 1 on youtube and the next on DGN only.

I've got that sinking feeling that after these two years are up, everything will be behind their paywall. Those who have the itch for post produced coverage will be waiting until long after the event, trying their damndest to avoid spoilers, when the coverage will be released by DGN to the individual YT pages.

Don't get me wrong; I actually like watching live disc golf. Other than Nate Doss, I like the commentary. I'm just usually really busy, or I can watch like half the round but not the whole thing. I let my PDGA membership expire and have no plans on renewing it; I did the same with DGN.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's "2 years" but really 1 on youtube and the next on DGN only.

If this happens, which I also think is where we are headed, it's going to be a big gamble for Jomez.

If their Patreon supporters are used to getting next day footage on YT, they may lose a lot if they then also have to pay for DGN to watch next day post-pro.

Except that DGN puts out a bad product. We are losing because they have valued themselves at $250K/card/season. They have already raised the price to $12 a month which is more than the basic Netflix plan, and they only offer one service, live disc golf.

How can one person string together so many poor takes at the same time?

1. It's not an objectively bad product, but you're entitled to have an opinion

2. 250k per season to have exclusive coverage of a pro sport is laughably cheap, even Jomez would tell you this - if they have 500k to throw down then they are making huge bank on their product and brand

3. Netflix doesn't carry live sports, checkmate

Last edited:
Has no one yet put out post for the 2021 USDGC? Do I have to get a subscription to just ff through a four hour round? Or did DGN put together post and make it invisible to anyone who might want to know about its existence?

I'm so confused about their marketing strategy. If people can't even watch reruns, how are they going to build interest?

DGPT is trying to distinguish itself from the normal PDGA sanctioned tournaments and to make it a sporting event. I think people are having difficulty separating the two and that's where some of the animosity comes from. Their business plan is pretty much set on that. I'm excited for it. To be honest I will pay to see a tournament in person or through media.

DGPT is trying to distinguish itself from the normal PDGA sanctioned tournaments and to make it a sporting event. I think people are having difficulty separating the two and that's where some of the animosity comes from. Their business plan is pretty much set on that. I'm excited for it. To be honest I will pay to see a tournament in person or through media.

even in person, you have to buy tickets for most (all?) of the DGPT events now. Which is also great, because being there to see the pros is second to none - and it also increases the prize payouts too

As a jaded sports fan, I was drawn to disc golf for its camaraderie, amateurish marketing and its recognition of itself as a niche activity. Now, it's starting to feel like it's all about marketing and it's losing it's charm: like, subscribe, patreon, go fund me, signature discs, limited runs, signature bags, clothing lines, embedded commercials, Youtube commercials, coverage behind paywalls.

I have enjoyed watching disc golf, but the content is not that compelling or entertaining. It could easily become like ball golf for me. An activity that I play, but don't bother to watch. I agree with Ahildy's comparison to Netflix because they are competing for my entertainment dollar. The fact that it's sports entertainment is irrelevant.

Glad to hear that Jomez post pro will be around for at least the next 2 years. I have no desire to spend my weekends parked in front of the tv, so post pro is exactly what I'm looking for.

Has no one yet put out post for the 2021 USDGC? Do I have to get a subscription to just ff through a four hour round? Or did DGN put together post and make it invisible to anyone who might want to know about its existence?

I'm so confused about their marketing strategy. If people can't even watch reruns, how are they going to build interest?

This is a great question.

Still have not seen it advertised anywhere.

Even behind a paywall.

They have 3757 patreon subscribers, at a minimum of $5 each. I think patreon is more than capable of covering the cost of lead card coverage.

Are you suggesting they get $5 per event from their patreon subscribers? I seriously doubt that.

For 3757 subscribers, two years of patreon, that would be about $65 per year.

Are you suggesting they get $5 per event from their patreon subscribers? I seriously doubt that.

Its $5 per month, minimum. They also have $10 and $20 level support, also monthly. So....

3657x $5 x 12 months ~225K per year from patron alone.

Edit 3757, not 3657. But the math is good

Its $5 per month, minimum. They also have $10 and $20 level support, also monthly. So....

3657x $5 x 12 months ~225K per year from patron alone.

Edit 3757, not 3657. But the math is good

Thanks. Wasn't aware that it was that much.

Patreon is monthly based. The minimum amount is apparently $5 per month. Currently they have 3757 patreons who are paying at least 5 per month

I'm a Jomez patreon. Have been for a couple years now. I get to see my name (wolfhaley) scroll past after the action is over in the end credits. That's cool I guess. I support them because post pro fits my schedule. I work second shift and in the summer I usually do a couple road trips where I, you know, play disc golf.

My other weekends off I stay local. Usually play disc golf. Year round.

I especially like to get out and play when the weather's nice though, which is when the majority of the DGPT event's are also happening. I don't think anyone's opinion is wrong here. In my case, I find the most value in post pro. Fits my schedule perfectly, edited into digestible segments, filmed and edited well with a quick turnaround.

I'm with ahildy, I'll speak with my wallet. Glad to see Jomez, GKpro, CCDG, Gatekeeper and the like involved for at least another year.

I'm a Jomez patreon. Have been for a couple years now. I get to see my name (wolfhaley) scroll past after the action is over in the end credits. That's cool I guess. I support them because post pro fits my schedule. I work second shift and in the summer I usually do a couple road trips where I, you know, play disc golf.

My other weekends off I stay local. Usually play disc golf. Year round.

I especially like to get out and play when the weather's nice though, which is when the majority of the DGPT event's are also happening. I don't think anyone's opinion is wrong here. In my case, I find the most value in post pro. Fits my schedule perfectly, edited into digestible segments, filmed and edited well with a quick turnaround.

I'm with ahildy, I'll speak with my wallet. Glad to see Jomez, GKpro, CCDG, Gatekeeper and the like involved for at least another year.

I agree with this in principle, but how does one differentiate between JP, GKp, CC, GK, etc.?

I agree with this in principle, but how does one differentiate between JP, GKp, CC, GK, etc.?

I think the market will somehow decide between these in the coming years. There is likely room for multiple players, especially across two main divisions. However, the cards they get to follow could bias the results. If one company is routinely only following the 3rd or 4th card, they would obviously get fewer views than the 1050 crew.

Jomez covers "feature" card the first round then lead card for the others. That's what I care to see most, so that's what I support. I only have so much time to watch anyway, so that works best for me.

I think Jomez will come out as the clear leader and the others may fall into minor roles.

Jomez now covers the feature/lead card in most tournaments. The others might cover the chase card and/or smaller tournaments.

Jomez is also the leader in innovation - flight following, providing the disc/flight numbers/distance/speed on most tee shots. They provide distance on some long putts, especially if the putt is made.

Commentary on Jomez is enjoyable.

Jomez has lots of "off season" videos, practice round videos, etc. to keep "their name" on everyone's mind.

I think Jomez will come out as the clear leader and the others may fall into minor roles.

Jomez now covers the feature/lead card in most tournaments. The others might cover the chase card and/or smaller tournaments.

Jomez is also the leader in innovation - flight following, providing the disc/flight numbers/distance/speed on most tee shots. They provide distance on some long putts, especially if the putt is made.

Commentary on Jomez is enjoyable.

Jomez has lots of "off season" videos, practice round videos, etc. to keep "their name" on everyone's mind.

No doubt Jomez is the leader in post pro.

Jomez has pushed the boundaries of what disc golf coverage and commentary can look like. The other production companies have done some good things, too -- GK in particular has some super talented camerapeople. DGN tries, but they don't seem to have the resources in house to really wrap their arms around what the viewing public wants -- to cultivate this garden that they have helped build.

Maybe someday the numbers will work out where DGN can make a godfather offer to the independent crews to bring all that talent in house and build a proper media company. But my completely uneducated guess is that they will sell out before then.