• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Discraft Great Lakes Open July 24-26

Cool. I never made that point for you to disagree with it. Don't care. We should still be pushing hard to maximize a chance at exposure at a time when the personalities have some incentive, with the game airing on their network. As for interesting... its only as interesting as the stories we tell. A 1-stroke match going into the final hole is exciting, even if you're not a disc golf fan. Promote our natural narratives, they're amazing.

I'm not convinced that any of your scaremongering is relevant. It sounds like a whole lot of I'm-afraid-of-my-niche-becoming-popular. Don't worry - your local clubs will have no problem functioning as they always have despite the presence of a larger national scene. Could even help you get more courses in on even nicer properties, helping allay that problem you have with too many people on your courses.

There probably is some fear of my niche becoming popular, but my premise is, I don't think the fear of that is really very real. You indeed made a point and I put it in bold. You have reinforced your point again...bold again.

My post was designed to stimulate discussion on how the your future game might look. Not really to attack you in some perceived way. Your hyperbole was probably not useful.

The story told, at the end of a 3 hour+ live broadcast was exciting....to me, as a disc golfer. I am not convinced you get non disc golfers to follow the broadcast for that long. I would be fine with being wrong, but that is why I made a post. I do care about your opinion and anyone else.

In the intended vein of my post. Who do you envisions putting in courses, maintaining courses, putting on lots more tournaments and leagues for the legions of new amateur players? And more importantly what do you see as the endgame of your proposed media outreach? Is your desire to funnel money to the top tier pro game?

Well..there you go. Valid point. I was rooting for Eagle all day, but man....that just looked silly to see her that close to the basket at such a pivotal moment in the tournament. I still say it's time to get a zoom lens and go hide in the bushes. No one allowed in C1 expect players.

Lol...I do wonder what the heck is being done with the thousands of photos being taken. There is usually a handful of photographers at every big event following a card around, snapping pictures.

There probably is some fear of my niche becoming popular, but my premise is, I don't think the fear of that is really very real. You indeed made a point and I put it in bold. You have reinforced your point again...bold again.

My post was designed to stimulate discussion on how the your future game might look. Not really to attack you in some perceived way. Your hyperbole was probably not useful.
You didn't argue that point. You argued the point you made up, which I was not making. Your statement was: I'm sorry Chris, I can't agree. I don't care if disc golf is given national exposure. I don't think it makes the game interesting enough to watch for an average sports fan, and nowhere near interesting enough for the average non-sports fan.

Nowhere did I make that point, nowhere was I even thinking about that point. If you disagree with the point you chose to bold in your post (not referring to my bolding here)... well... cool, I wish you'd have actually decided to talk about that. If you disagree that we should be trying to push the sport to the talking heads at a time when their network's participation gives them a reason to have the discussion - well I'd like to hear when you think we should be pushing them to talk about it?

The story told, at the end of a 3 hour+ live broadcast was exciting....to me, as a disc golfer. I am not convinced you get non disc golfers to follow the broadcast for that long. I would be fine with being wrong, but that is why I made a post. I do care about your opinion and anyone else.
Well then: its a good thing that it appears it will be released for digestion in a format similar to our next-day post-edit coverage. We're not convincing people to sit back and listen to Nate, Terry, Val, and the other dude for 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon. It sounds like 1 hour at a time over some days. Disc golf can certainly tell a gripping story using basic elements of competition and human interest like something like Sasuke, which went from niche to Ninja Warrior in a decade.
In the intended vein of my post. Who do you envisions putting in courses, maintaining courses, putting on lots more tournaments and leagues for the legions of new amateur players?
The same people that are now. No "legions" are going to grow over night. As the sport grows through time, the successful communities will grow their local infrastructure.
And more importantly what do you see as the endgame of your proposed media outreach? Is your desire to funnel money to the top tier pro game?
My goal is to see the pie get bigger. My goal is to see the basement floor raised. My goal is more visibility. More parks & rec people seeing 'disc golf' in the periphery of their existence more often leading to a feel that more courses are needed. More local business leaders seeing 'disc golf' in the periphery of their existence more often leading to a feel that they can advertise and get a return on investment sponsoring events or holes. More kids seeing disc golfers on TVs, leading to more of those kids on the athletic-edges picking this sport over some others like Paul once did. More kids in general means more increasingly formalized high school competition, more recruits at the college level.

My goal is all of the little things that come from increased exposure. And sure - more money in the sport is gonna mean some more money funneled into the top tier events. Eyeballs mean money means sponsorship for the Disc Golf Pro Tour.

I have no delusions about one little twitter campaign. But I do recognize that we must continually take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves to continue to build momentum. That includes some of us as fans pushing hard.

You didn't argue that point. You argued the point you made up, which I was not making. Your statement was: I'm sorry Chris, I can't agree. I don't care if disc golf is given national exposure. I don't think it makes the game interesting enough to watch for an average sports fan, and nowhere near interesting enough for the average non-sports fan.

Nowhere did I make that point, nowhere was I even thinking about that point. If you disagree with the point you chose to bold in your post (not referring to my bolding here)... well... cool, I wish you'd have actually decided to talk about that. If you disagree that we should be trying to push the sport to the talking heads at a time when their network's participation gives them a reason to have the discussion - well I'd like to hear when you think we should be pushing them to talk about it?

Well then: its a good thing that it appears it will be released for digestion in a format similar to our next-day post-edit coverage. We're not convincing people to sit back and listen to Nate, Terry, Val, and the other dude for 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon. It sounds like 1 hour at a time over some days. Disc golf can certainly tell a gripping story using basic elements of competition and human interest like something like Sasuke, which went from niche to Ninja Warrior in a decade.

The same people that are now. No "legions" are going to grow over night. As the sport grows through time, the successful communities will grow their local infrastructure.

My goal is to see the pie get bigger. My goal is to see the basement floor raised. My goal is more visibility. More parks & rec people seeing 'disc golf' in the periphery of their existence more often leading to a feel that more courses are needed. More local business leaders seeing 'disc golf' in the periphery of their existence more often leading to a feel that they can advertise and get a return on investment sponsoring events or holes. More kids seeing disc golfers on TVs, leading to more of those kids on the athletic-edges picking this sport over some others like Paul once did. More kids in general means more increasingly formalized high school competition, more recruits at the college level.

My goal is all of the little things that come from increased exposure. And sure - more money in the sport is gonna mean some more money funneled into the top tier events. Eyeballs mean money means sponsorship for the Disc Golf Pro Tour.

I have no delusions about one little twitter campaign. But I do recognize that we must continually take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves to continue to build momentum. That includes some of us as fans pushing hard.

Well.......ok, good luck with your.......mission.

Lol...I do wonder what the heck is being done with the thousands of photos being taken. There is usually a handful of photographers at every big event following a card around, snapping pictures.
AFAIK Van Lanen is the tour's official photographer and sells photos off her website. I don't know what the tour gets from it.

AVDiscGolf.com

Maybe don't use a "we" that announces what people should do? I saw your post under the DD Open thread earlier today and I had a similar response. I don't have strong opinions on if the sport grows, but I'm not going to go on a PR campaign on its behalf.

Maybe don't use a "we" that announces what people should do? I saw your post under the DD Open thread earlier today and I had a similar response. I don't have strong opinions on if the sport grows, but I'm not going to go on a PR campaign on its behalf.
You don't have to identify as we. Anything substantial to say?

I already said the substantial part.
Huh. Must have missed it. Did you hide it in the part where you huffed about how I should be careful about my tone because, damn, there's a chance I could be talking about you?

Show me on the doll where the post touched you.

great coverage

painful commentary

kj taking a dump and eagle wins

dickerson shooting hot too

I'll never get people saying, "shooting a -9, 1040-something rated 53 at the Toboggan is called 'taking a dump'."

I 100% get the whole players & official photogs relationship with the DGPT, etc, etc, but it's just a shame Kevin had to deal with a photographer in frame of his vision as he attempts the most important putt of the tournament. I mean...did she really have to stand right..in...fking front of him? Go hide in the damn bushes and zoom the fk in. Yah..I'm pissed....

But good win Eagle!! :)

Sorry dog, uh, that's a no for me. I'm with the other folks who say AVL was hired by the Pro Tour to do her job and if she is ever in anyone's way it's on the player to make that call."

Staying home, since his wife is a medical resident working extremely long and stressful hours due to Covid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDIScLKJmS3/

And commentary duos have to record together in person, too much lag otherwise.

And that probably makes him a person in the high-risk category, so we may not see Nate-Sexy for a bit.

Huh. Must have missed it. Did you hide it in the part where you huffed about how I should be careful about my tone because, damn, there's a chance I could be talking about you?

Show me on the doll where the post touched you.

Nevermind.

Last edited:
if those Brodie fanboys don't smoke (leave butts everywhere) or chug beers and throw the cans everywhere

Is this realistic? What are Brodie fanboys like? Already lots of trash and cans on courses from current players (usually chuckers, not the ones in a local club/at work parties.)

I'll never get people saying, "shooting a -9, 1040-something rated 53 at the Toboggan is called 'taking a dump'."

Sorry dog, uh, that's a no for me. I'm with the other folks who say AVL was hired by the Pro Tour to do her job and if she is ever in anyone's way it's on the player to make that call."

And that probably makes him a person in the high-risk category, so we may not see Nate-Sexy for a bit.

watch that botched upshot and all the strokes left out there with his putting

i bet he has/would say he played like trash

it clearly wasnt his best

especially being it was his highest scored round

also who cares if he shoots a 800 or 1800 ratings dont mean a thing and are arbitrary just like par

I like KJUSA and all, but the posse following him the whole tourney seemed odd and then the whole gang going with the Tiger Woods-esque Red Sunday shirts really rubbed me the wrong way. When I saw them all in Red i got a feeling that Kev was gonna get the bad juju.

watch that botched upshot and all the strokes left out there with his putting

i bet he has/would say he played like trash

it clearly wasnt his best

especially being it was his highest scored round

also who cares if he shoots a 800 or 1800 ratings dont mean a thing and are arbitrary just like par

100% C1X putting with 3-4 circle edge putts on elevated baskets, or in a big slope.

Ratings mean a lot more than par. You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree...
He had the 6th best round of the day in a 140 players field made of touring pros, local stars and veterans of the game.

One missed upshot due to what looked like a very unfortunate griplock.

The only stinky part on his scorecard is the 0% C2 putting (0/5), which does not prevent him from leading the tournament in the C2 putting stat, with his ridiculously good putting during the second round.