• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Waco Annual Charity Open Mar 12-14

I can imagine the conversation:

"We got a 213 foot hole? Isn't that too short for the top players?"

"Nah, we'll just call it a par 4. That'll make it look tough. Besides, someone might ace it and we'll get lots of publicity!"

"Nah, we'll just call it a par 4. That'll make it look tough. Besides, someone might ace it and we'll get lots of publicity!"

I mean, if a basket is almost impossible to reach from the tee in one throw and maybe not even on your second, what should the par be?

Isn't it a typo that hole 8 is a par 4? I don't recall it being a 4 in the past, and the last page has it listed as a 3. Maybe it should be. 2 though.

is 16 further back?

Nope. At least not from last year. 16 was moved back last year from its spot from 2 years ago.

BUT...

18 has moved. The pin is closer to the tee and the water now. Forcing (kinda) the big arms to either be precise at that distance (if the typical head wind is in play, then putt toward the water, -OR- have the layups and approach styl;e require precision as well.

Isn't it a typo that hole 8 is a par 4? I don't recall it being a 4 in the past, and the last page has it listed as a 3. Maybe it should be. 2 though.
No doubt. See the scorecard on the last page.
No doubt in my mind.

Are spectators allowed? I really want to make the trip to waco and watch the pros play

I mean, if a basket is almost impossible to reach from the tee in one throw and maybe not even on your second, what should the par be?

The score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions.

Are spectators allowed? I really want to make the trip to waco and watch the pros play

There hasn't been anything announced from the tour yet but considering that the governor of Texas just gave all bars and restaurants permission to be open at full capacity...

I don't want to open pandora's box here, but that definition means maybe the majority of disc golf holes in the world are par 2s.
Remember that Expert has been defined as a hypothetical 1000-rated player. If par were based on 1050 players, there might be a few more par 2s, that is if those assigning par believed in them. A bigger "problem" is there seem to be more holes on tour assigned par 4 that should probably be 3s based on the par definition than there are par 3s that should be 2s, especially on open courses.

I don't want to open pandora's box here, but that definition means maybe the majority of disc golf holes in the world are par 2s.

Not even close. Not even if you let Open players play all the little courses.

Note that par is not the lowest score an expert could possibly get, par has to happen often enough to be expected with erroless play. I don't consider a hole to be par 2 unless 1000-rated players get more than 50% twos+aces.

I just looked at the scores for 77,027 holes where there were at least two rounds by 1000-rated players. Only 8.7% would have been par 2. That's about one or two per course. Not only do we all know there are this many par 2s in disguise, we all know which holes these are. We just talk about them using euphemisms to hide our shame.

2= 8.7%,
3=65.3%
4=22.8%
5= 3.05%
6= 0.16%
7= 0.005%

Latest posts