• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Texas State Championship Mar 24-27

The live drone shots are excellent - they are using a drone to show hole layout, players walking...not actual throws.

Do any of the networks use a drone to film throws and follow discs in flight?

PP is hammer down on the FPO this weekend.

Kat's playing well and Cat has some incredible throw ins from C2 area.

Is it just me or does it seem like the FPO putting is looking a lot stronger than it did most of last year? I started to take a look at stats, but it's really not easy to evaluate without looking at individual performances in tournament rounds. Just saying C1x percentage doesn't mean much if they had a bunch of short pitches from 10-15'.

Ask Eveliina about putting. . .i think many of the strong putters in FPO has improved other parts of their game and starting to get into the top spots.

The live drone shots are excellent - they are using a drone to show hole layout, players walking...not actual throws.

I like the drone overviews as well. I don't know much about them, is it easy to move the camera around in flight? Seems like whenever the view changes it is because the actual drone location or attitude is changing. If true, that would make following flights hard.

I like the drone overviews as well. I don't know much about them, is it easy to move the camera around in flight? Seems like whenever the view changes it is because the actual drone location or attitude is changing. If true, that would make following flights hard.

I believe it's very easy to move the camera around as the drone is flying it just takes an experienced operator otherwise things are jerky.
On lightly wooded to completely open holes I think it would be awesome to have a drone follow the flight of the disc. I don't mean for the full length of the hole, but maybe for the last 1/3 or 1/2 of the hole.
I'm sure hand held cameras are far superior to drone cameras especially in zoom capabilities.

Have you ever watched drone racing ?

Those operators could probably pull it off.

But, I think what they are using on DG courses is much more industrial. Bigger, heavier, long battery life, slower, but better outdoors fighting the wind. I don't think it would have the speed to really follow a drive.

The drone I had had a top speed of about 25 mph. It was comparable to a Mavic mini. Fun, but no way could you actually follow a disc in flight. Plus the screen is typically a phone or tablet.

There is some video here from a couple of years ago where somebody did do some disc filming like that, but it wasn't actually following the whole flight IIRC. More of an intercept and fly by.

But, I think what they are using on DG courses is much more industrial. Bigger, heavier, long battery life, slower, but better outdoors fighting the wind. I don't think it would have the speed to really follow a drive.

The drone I had had a top speed of about 25 mph. It was comparable to a Mavic mini. Fun, but no way could you actually follow a disc in flight. Plus the screen is typically a phone or tablet.

There is some video here from a couple of years ago where somebody did do some disc filming like that, but it wasn't actually following the whole flight IIRC. More of an intercept and fly by.

I don't think the drone would need to follow a full flight to be effective. On a 300-400 foot hole for instance if the drone was "stationed" 200 feet from the basket and 100 feet off the ground and intercept and follow the disc in. I bet the shot would be really good. I doubt if the drone could get every throw from a card, but even if it caught 2 throws.

Pilot skills would be very important. The live drone shots the Disc Golf Network is using in Texas doesn't really require top notch piloting.

I don't think the drone would need to follow a full flight to be effective. On a 300-400 foot hole for instance if the drone was "stationed" 200 feet from the basket and 100 feet off the ground and intercept and follow the disc in. I bet the shot would be really good. I doubt if the drone could get every throw from a card, but even if it caught 2 throws.

Pilot skills would be very important. The live drone shots the Disc Golf Network is using in Texas doesn't really require top notch piloting.

The FPV drone says it has a top speed of ~90 MPH. I found a video on youtube where they clocked it at 70 MPH.

My, what a difference a day makes.
:popcorn:

Nice seeing Kat Mertsch in the top 5! With Catrina tied for 2nd and Keiti Tatte in 9th it appears we have a top 10 clowder. :D

I can see going E round 1, then making a big improvement round 2, but vice versa? It honestly looked like Paul may have tweaked something, lot of throws--even longer putts--coming up short.

I didn't listen, only watched a little bit here and there--anyone hear what might have happened to him?

Everyone has off days. Just surprising since he has been so on point. Hope he settles in.

Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing Barsby on coverage. Can anyone confirm the hearsay that he designed the Thorn layout?

Everyone has off days. Just surprising since he has been so on point. Hope he settles in.

Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing Barsby on coverage. Can anyone confirm the hearsay that he designed the Thorn layout?

The announcers mentioned that Barsby was the course designer 39 times between rounds 1 and 2.

Well, I didn't actually count, but it sure seemed like a lot!

I believe it's very easy to move the camera around as the drone is flying it just takes an experienced operator otherwise things are jerky.
On lightly wooded to completely open holes I think it would be awesome to have a drone follow the flight of the disc. I don't mean for the full length of the hole, but maybe for the last 1/3 or 1/2 of the hole.
I'm sure hand held cameras are far superior to drone cameras especially in zoom capabilities.

I'm sure if they get a "drone sponsor" who's adding cash to the pool for the pros, THEN it might happen. Otherwise, I'm pretty aware that the pros DO NOT like that drone buzzing that close above them (that it would need to be) to follow their throws.

Latest posts