• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Portland Open June 4-6

Watched a little bit of the Jomez practice round, I got to about hole 4 or 5 and it was the exact same shot as the previous hole...maybe shorter.

I get the last minute of the situations but this course will be another snooze fest of rollers and the 500+ arms airing it out.

Shame because that is not what we're used to with Oregon disc golf...

Oh well.

Watched a little bit of the Jomez practice round, I got to about hole 4 or 5 and it was the exact same shot as the previous hole...maybe shorter.

I get the last minute of the situations but this course will be another snooze fest of rollers and the 500+ arms airing it out.

Shame because that is not what we're used to with Oregon disc golf...

Oh well.
Is there footage of the casual round a couple pros played at Milo?

Looking at the course map, it doesn't really look like they could have any better on that property. There aren't the double rows of trees between the holes like you see at some courses(like Emporia CC for instance). Also, only one pond... So no real tunnel shots, no water carries... Just a bunch of monstrous wide open fairways...

1299066c.jpg

12,696' is just ridiculous lol

If any course could have been a test dummy for moving the pins around, it should have been this one...

Last edited:
Looking at the course map, it doesn't really look like they could have any better on that property. There aren't the double rows of trees between the holes like you see at some courses(like Emporia CC for instance). Also, only one pond... So no real tunnel shots, no water carries... Just a bunch of monstrous wide open fairways...

12,696' is just ridiculous lol

If any course could have been a test dummy for moving the pins around, it should have been this one...

While I don't disagree, it is a real pet peeve of mine when a course reviewer says "they couldn't have any better on that property" in the Pros section. Like, review the course, not the property or the potential for a course.

Anyway, this looks like the OTB course but worse.

Watched the front nine of the Jomez practice round and huge fairways + flat ground is a really boring combination. There's been so much debate about if ball golf courses are "good" or "bad" but the bigger issue for me is the lack of elevation change on many ball golf courses. And this tournament is happening in a state that shouldn't have issues with lacking elevation changes (compare with, say, Emporia which does introduce wind). Discs fly through the air. That's what makes them cool. Discs flying through air can entertain me for hours on end. But it's always cooler when holes go uphill and downhill some of the time. And while rollers are impressive, 1) they don't show that well on video and 2) they, you know, avoid actually flying through the air.

Also, the Jomez players couldn't seem to figure out the OB and what was in or out of bounds, and that's something I think the pro game needs to clean up. OB on a course should make sense intuitively when you look at a hole map or overhead. Random cart paths that may or may not be OB are annoying, visually distracting, and a constant reminder that a course not made for disc golf has been retrofitted with mixed results.

Albert Tamm arrived in the US successfully a couple of days ago. He's playing this weekend, and was in the DGPT press conference yesterday. Very exciting news, and hopefully that bodes well for other Europeans who want to come over. I believe Kristin Tattar and Silver Latt have already started their 14 days outside of the restricted area and will try arriving soon.

Are those good things or bad things?

The 1050 guys possess a skill no one else has- consistent accuracy at huge distance. This is certainly a valid skill and should be rewarded. These layouts tend to overvalue that skill however. When guys like Koling (who has big distance himself) are viewing things as something of a done deal beforehand the entertainment value (which is what DGPT is really selling) shrivels.

Since it's supposed to storm here all weekend, I'm probably going to talk myself into paying for coverage. The open courses don't provide much scoring separation so hopefully this will end up as an entertaining ending.

The 1050 guys possess a skill no one else has- consistent accuracy at huge distance. This is certainly a valid skill and should be rewarded. These layouts tend to overvalue that skill however. When guys like Koling (who has big distance himself) are viewing things as something of a done deal beforehand the entertainment value (which is what DGPT is really selling) shrivels.

There are a couple of non-1050 boys that this course also favors their game, and I think they'll play above their rating, but I think that supports what you're saying. Ezra A has that same distance with a little less consistency, but he'll probably place better than what his rating says he should because there are so many shots that play to his strengths. The 1050 boys have this and more.

Since it's supposed to storm here all weekend, I'm probably going to talk myself into paying for coverage. The open courses don't provide much scoring separation so hopefully this will end up as an entertaining ending.

Paying for a month today would also give you Worlds and the final round DGN livestreams of Resistance Open and Clash of the Canyons.:thmbup:

Latest posts