• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the Olympics

^
But how many of us were even on the forums the last time this topic came up. I just don't understand... no one said that it has to be in. Just if we ever thought it would be. I mean I don't understand why some people are so upset about it. I mean they act like they would be mad if it were in.

Personally I feel like dg would be a good addition to the Olympics. I mean look how many other obscure sports get some time in the spotlight. I think it would be awesome to be able to watch some disc golf on television once every four years. I didn't know this topic would make some people so upset. Its more hypothetical than anything.

Don't misunderstand me. There are a number of countries involved in DG, but it's still a fringe sport in each of those as it is here. Population diffs mean that many of these countries don't have a fraction of the scene that the US does. Countries I'm aware of with strong DG scenes: Japan, Sweden, Finland, Germany, England, France. I just became aware that there's not much in terms of DG in South America. We should work on that. I know Australia and New Zealand have scenes. There's even a course at McMurdo Station in Antarctica.

Perspective again...

I dont see why it cant be in the olympics. There are plenty of "fringe" sports that are hard to follow that are in the olympics. the only reason I could see it not being in is the US dominance. and the fact that other than the European countries, Japan,Canada and a little in Aussie land its not worldwide.

Perspective. Mentioned earlier. Youth, naivate or both is the issue.

I haven't read a word of this thread, so not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not.

Every now and then someones along and starts a thread on a board or posts on FB something about DG in the olympics. And then I let out my big sigh of truth.

In order for a sport or discipline to be considered for inclusion in the list of Summer Olympics sports, it must be widely practiced in at least 75 countries, spread over four continents.

We have no chance for at least 100 years. We are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay short.

Agreed. How is the IOC going to recognize disc golf as a sport when its barely recognized in THIS country? It might show up as an "exhibition" at some point, but I don't care whether it does or doesn't.

I don't need the blessing of the IOC to legitimize the game for me. Those that do sound like they may have a bit of an inferiority complex about it. I just like to play.

^
But how many of us were even on the forums the last time this topic came up. I just don't understand... no one said that it has to be in. Just if we ever thought it would be. I mean I don't understand why some people are so upset about it. I mean they act like they would be mad if it were in.

Personally I feel like dg would be a good addition to the Olympics. I mean look how many other obscure sports get some time in the spotlight. I think it would be awesome to be able to watch some disc golf on television once every four years. I didn't know this topic would make some people so upset. Its more hypothetical than anything.

IKR, lol. I was watching Olympic table tenis a couple days ago for crying out loud. If table tenis can make it in to the olympics I think DG definitely has a chance of making it one day.

Here you go! Disc golf is in the Olympics! (Or as close as it will ever come to being in the Olympics) ;)

Professional Disc Golf Association
Sam Hazewinkel, PDGA #33925 is an Olympian representing the U.S. in London at The Olympic Games!

He is a freestyle wrestler competing at 55kg. Check him out on NBC Olympics and show your support for one of our members.

He's also on Facebook and can be followed on Twitter @SamTheHaze.

Sam and Mike Lightner PDGA #34094 (and four-time wrestling All American and 2001 NCAA Champion at 141 pounds) are both very active in their local disc golf community (Sooner Disc Golf Club) and have co-sponsored several events.

Thanks to James Bierman #38406 for sharing this information with us.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/athlete=sam-hazewinkel/index.html

Hey, good trivia question: How many foreigners have won MPO World Champion?

How many FPO? (Trick question. Sort of. Eh.)

Edit: Too bad Anni Kreml never won. She *sounds* foreign.

Edit 2: Well, I don't mean SHE sounds foreign, like not her voice. I mean her NAME sounds foreign.

I thought about this the other day, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes:

Disc golf as three separate events:

1. Putting competition. Five shots each from 10, 15, 20, and 30 feet. 1 point for every shot made at 10, 2 points for 15, 3 points for 20, and 4 points for 30.

2. CTP competition. Five shots from 150, 200, and 250 feet. Closest to the pin wins 5 points from 150, 10 from 200, and 15 from 250.

3. Driving competition. Five drives, longest wins.

It's not ideal, but it's more TV and spectator friendly than four 18 hole rounds in the woods.

Solo synchronized swimming made it. Also dueling pistols has been in it before. We have a shot. Although it would be awesome to bring back dueling.

Last edited:
If the DG bug ever hit the Chinese people it would absolutely explode in China. I believe it could happen in the next 25-50 years. Maybe sooner-who knows?

Off topic: I feel a bit sorry for the Chinese athletes who have so much political pressure to perform. I heard about one athlete where the news of her mother's and grandparent's deaths were withheld from her because of her father's desire for her to do well at the olympics. Who knows what kind of pressure he had to do so?

I thought about this the other day, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes:

Disc golf as three separate events:

1. Putting competition. Five shots each from 10, 15, 20, and 30 feet. 1 point for every shot made at 10, 2 points for 15, 3 points for 20, and 4 points for 30.

2. CTP competition. Five shots from 150, 200, and 250 feet. Closest to the pin wins 5 points from 150, 10 from 200, and 15 from 250.

3. Driving competition. Five drives, longest wins.

It's not ideal, but it's more TV and spectator friendly than four 18 hole rounds in the woods.

In order for a sport or discipline to be considered for inclusion in the list of Summer Olympics sports, it must be widely practiced in at least 75 countries, spread over four continents.

READ PEOPLE. READ.

It's not happening anytime soon!!!!

Latest posts