• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc recommendation that really surprised you?

3 discs that have really surprised me...in a good way
#1 the Gator. Had a friend that used his forehand on a particular hole on my local course, that I just couldn't make any of mine make that same shot. He told me I should really try one. Well I did, and now it is my "go-to" forehand midrange disc. Moved from dx-to champ-to star.
#2 the Roadrunner. When this disc first came out, it was supposed to be THE roller disc. At the time I had a friend teaching me better techniches on the roller, and he just won a TON of plastic in a tourney, I was standing beside him while choosing and he asked if I had one, or tried one, told him "no" so he grabbed one and gave it to me. We went out and threw some roller shots with it, and it was a good disc, but not great. We finished up, and just for kicks I threw it backhand....it went straight....very straight. Since then I've played around with different weights/plastics, and now am hooked on the star plastic at 165g.
#3 Sirius Orion LF. This was just purely a disc I grabbed by accident and fell in love with. I used to throw a LOT of Polaris LS way back, but have "outgrown" it. I had read about the Orion in Sirius plastic, but never were available in the tourneys I "cashed" in, but was out of town and "cashed" in one, and saw they had them. I saw one in the weight I threw and grabbed it....not looking that it said LF...for Long FADE. I went to throw it expecting a long/straight drive, and it turned like a starfire. So then it dawned on me....so I put it in an extra bag and left it alone for about a year. Then one day I went out to the football fields working on drives with extra discs and I pulled it out. Again, it flew similar to my starfire when thrown flat and level. I was finishing up, and threw back towards my bag, and tried anhyzering some discs to work on s-curves. When I did my Orion, it flipped overlike a sidewinder, flattened, when straight, then hyzered back in like it did before. Well now, this is the disc I go to for s-curves. It still does the same for me, it will flip at the beginning <predictably>, and hyzer nicely at the end. If I throw flat/level in wind, it will stay straight.

And finally my beloved blowfly putter. Best advice anyone gave to me. Was throwing Omega SS, until I saw this and got one. Was hard to get used to, but once you do "master" it so to speak, it is uncanny what you can do with it.

I must say it was the Titanic. SpringDGLover let me try his Titanic and I was shocked at how well it flew. I bought a couple and never looked back. I have been looking for a good putter for a long while and I finally found it. This putter is hitting at 80%, and its the best putter I have ever had.