• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Release

Nussbuss

Hello fellow disc golfers, another question for you:

I noticed today in the field that when I release a disc, it kind of slips out of my hand, rather than me actually releasing it. I noticed this especially when throwing putters/upshots. I used various grips, and noticed that the discs were slipping out of my hand, rather than me actually releasing them.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it, but after watching hours of film, all players with a good concept of throwing mechanics have a nice, smooth release, and they get a nice pull on the disc to give it lots of spin.

Am I possibly doing something wrong? Perhaps I am used to throwing with a wrist that is too tight/locked? Does anyone know any specific drills/strategies to work on this?

Thanks!

There's nothing wrong with that. On all shots except putts, I let the disc rip out of my hand instead of releasing it. I feel like it gives me more spin and control.

Im trying my darndest NOT to release the disc on any throw that is not a putt. When done properly the disc will "rip" itself out of your hand.

Im trying my darndest NOT to release the disc on any throw that is not a putt. When done properly the disc will "rip" itself out of your hand.

Ah I see. That's probably what I'm referring to then.

It should rip out but not until rear of the disc pivots forward. Your pinch point should ideally be around 2 or 3' o'clock when the disc rips out.

Yeah. Just because it is pulling itself out of your hand doesn't mean it's doing it right. However, it is the right idea! Sometimes it slips too early.

you will know when you are trying too hard to " guide " it and are letting go vs letting it rip out of your hand. everything will miss bad left ( RHBH ) .
when i use a fan grip, i have to focus on putting a lil extra thumb pressure on it... also helps me keep nose down a little better.