• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

I tuned my stable nuke a little bit and now it is a different disc. Forget what I said about it being stable. I actually found it easier to flip up than my stable champ katanas, but with more low speed overstability. All in all I like it, but I think its really just preferance in picking it over a boss, katana, wraith, surge, or any other high speed flippy distance driver.

Just got back from playing a round at Ewing Park. I now have to say that at least one Nuke will always be in the bag this year. On the back 9, this disc really did some work for me. Some monster drives with this bad boy. Throwing 400+ ft. has definitely gotten easier.

I had my first bad experience with the Nuke yesteday. I threw one of my favorites on a hole on my home course. It hit open ground, skipped, and slid in the water, although remained partially on land and therefore in bounds. Anyway, when I grabbed my disc it had a 1.5" gash cutting right into the middle of the rim like someone took a giant carrot peeler and wanted to cut the wing off. I have never seen any plastic get this messed up on a single throw. The weird part is that I couldn't figure out what it hit to cause that. The only plausible explanation is that there were some old broken shells on the shore of the lake where it landed. The disc was totaled.

Sorry to hear about that. I have been quite pleased with the durability of the ones I am throwing. I am still carrying 2 Memorials, one of which hit a metal tee post (love me some farm golf) about 60 feet off the tee on a 900 foot hole. I can tell where it hit, but nothing like the damage you describe. It does seem to me that some of the newer ESP blends cut and tear pretty easily though. I have a fairly new ESP Surge that has a big nick in it. I am also probably guilty of taking for granted that these projectiles routinely survive collisions with immovable objects traveling at absurd rates of speed. Just for curiousities sake, was your Nuke a First Run?
KP

main reason why i dont like the 1st runs. ive seen a few dozen nukes already having gashes in them like discspeed described. very shitty blend this time around if you ask me. my guess is they added a crap load more x to the blend and making the durability suffer immensely. im not talking small nicks but these are chunks missing. i threw my white 1st run a couple weeks ago and i barely looked at it yesterday and noticed after 2 throws a small twig was lodged through the flight plate.

booter said:
main reason why i dont like the 1st runs. ive seen a few dozen nukes already having gashes in them like discspeed described. very shitty blend this time around if you ask me. my guess is they added a crap load more x to the blend and making the durability suffer immensely. im not talking small nicks but these are chunks missing. i threw my white 1st run a couple weeks ago and i barely looked at it yesterday and noticed after 2 throws a small twig was lodged through the flight plate.

I don't think its X plastic because it doesn't feel like it. Most likely it is an agent in the plastic to make it less dense so it can fill out that big mold and still weight correct. I must admit that Innova has done a far better job with their plastics in the wide winged drivers. Discs like the Master's Champ Katanas and the World's fundraiser Stars feel just like star and champ Teebirds or any other disc they make. Discraft needs to figure this out, bring back some stiffness, and turn away from the flexy plastic. Anyway, the Nuke flies too well for me to worry too much about the plastic unless stuff like this becomes routine.

Just for reference, this happened to my Nuke after it had already been in the air for 400' and was fading, so its not like it was a high speed situation.

yea i could be wrong on my assumption that its more x. whatever it is though,they added more to the 1st runs than they did to the memorials and such. however i noticed my esp force's had multiple chunks taken out of them a few times when i was throwing them a few months ago but i dunno. i dont thow these big drivers on small courses anyway so i dont know what all these other people are using them on, they could be throwing them on 150 foot wooded holes :roll:

I threw my red first run one time and i don't know what it hit other that the ground and it took a huge chunk out of the rim. I was disappointed and have not thrown it since.

Took the nuke out today and found it VERY unpredictable in a headwind, but suprisingly good in a tail wind. I find most fast, wide rimmed drivers too fast if there is much tail wind, but the nuke stood up and sailed nicely.

So in comparing it to my favorite max weight champ katana, I found my max weight FR esp nuke less highspeed stable with a more abrupt turn but with more low speed overstability at the very end of the flight. This line is fairly touchy, but when you hit it, it is a beautiful thing. The katana's turn was more gradual, turning slower and fading slower. I found I could give my katana a lot of hyzer and power down into a headwind and still control it, while I had a much harder time doing that with the nuke.

Overall the nuke and katana rival my r-pro boss for the longest discs Ive ever thrown, but on the course I think I would rather have a wraith, destroyer, or force in the bag.

booter said:
yea i could be wrong on my assumption that its more x. whatever it is though,they added more to the 1st runs than they did to the memorials and such. however i noticed my esp force's had multiple chunks taken out of them a few times when i was throwing them a few months ago but i dunno. i dont thow these big drivers on small courses anyway so i dont know what all these other people are using them on, they could be throwing them on 150 foot wooded holes :roll:
You beat me to it. I was just about to comment on the gashes my esp ace race focuses (foci?) have been taking. It's like someone took a knife and cut a piece off....which is very strange since I only use my focus from 150' and in. My slightly older esp Meteors, Surges, and Buzzes do not have this problem and they take WAY more abuse.

Bought one of these a few weeks ago, it's became my main disc. Also got my first ace ever with this disc, on my second round of playing with it. That alone made it worth the purchase. I mainly used a Surge and Boss before this, now the boss has basically been replaced with the Nuke.

The durability leaves a lot to be desired. All of my * drivers have held up much better.

IMO i have better luck with my max D drivers on super long holes with few obstacles like the pro boss, katana or nuke, they all thrive better for those shots, add some trees or what have you, change it up, to the force, xcal, or something else in a Z or champ if youre worried about hitting the obstacles, that means youre most likely not getting it in the bucket in 2 anyway, so throwing a disc in a more durable plastic seems like a better option to me even tho it may not be your go to max d driver

I admit that the durability of the Nuke leaves much to be desired, especially compared to Champion plastic Katanas/Bosses, but the disc has earned its place in my bag with pure performance. I get better forehand and backhand distance with it in a more controlled manner than anything else out there...and it is more durable than Pro plastic. Bottom line is I can rip the shit out of the Nuke.

5 Birdies over 500ft this weekend with another hole being 646ft downhill that I missed a 20fter on.

NUKE BOMBS!!!!!!!

discspeed said:
I admit that the durability of the Nuke leaves much to be desired, especially compared to Champion plastic Katanas/Bosses, but the disc has earned its place in my bag with pure performance. I get better forehand and backhand distance with it in a more controlled manner than anything else out there...and it is more durable than Pro plastic. Bottom line is I can rip the shit out of the Nuke.
Better than a Halo?

Latest posts