• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft putter plastics

ray1970

* Ace Member *
Searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anyhow, I made the switch recently to the Discraft Roach for putting and have been using the jawbreaker plastic. I kind of feel like I've been struggling with the grip lately. It's been really dry here lately and having everything covered with a layer of powdery dust is worse than a wet disc.

I started out with classic blend judges and then moved to P2's in either x-line or soft p-line and never had a grip issue when the discs were dusty.

How is the grip on the pro-D or soft-X in the Discraft putters?

I've been putting with Jawbreaker Roaches for a few years now & haven't had any issues with grip. I think that Jawbreaker is a fantastic putting plastic. But if you're having issues then you gotta keep looking around.

X-Soft is super grippy but the flight plates are way too soft for me to get used to.

Pro-D will be as close as you'll get to X-line feel but durability has always been poor with Pro-D. Your putter rim might chip up more than you want.

I'm shocked that you have putted with Classic Blend but don't like Jawbreaker. Those are the two best putter plastics on the market, in my opinion. And they feel almost identical.

Searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anyhow, I made the switch recently to the Discraft Roach for putting and have been using the jawbreaker plastic. I kind of feel like I've been struggling with the grip lately. It's been really dry here lately and having everything covered with a layer of powdery dust is worse than a wet disc.

I started out with classic blend judges and then moved to P2's in either x-line or soft p-line and never had a grip issue when the discs were dusty.

How is the grip on the pro-D or soft-X in the Discraft putters?

This is so true about jawbreaker plastic. If I'm really insistent on using jb in dusty conditions, i have a damp towel handy. X soft still retains some tack in dust, zflx wards off dust better than jb. Pro d is decent in dust but it is extremely susceptible to getting all chewed up

I've been putting with Soft and Swirl APX's for years.
Wonderful grip.

But feel is incredibly subjective. I disagree that it's too soft, but everyone's different. Some people prefer stiff, firm putters... the stiffer, the better. I prefer a softer somewhat more flexible feel.

That said, I don't like the feel of the Blowfly, Gumputt, or Vibram soft... they feel like they have no backbone.

The soft APX hits the goldilocks zone for me.

I'm using mostly MVP right now and I like soft electron, combination of both world, soft plate and stiff rim. Soft X is very similar, the rim is not as stiff obviously but still not too floppy. I've put with soft Ringer and did like the Soft Roach too. For Banger I preferred Pro-D or Jawbreaker but the shape of them help to have a confident grip.

I'm shocked that you have putted with Classic Blend but don't like Jawbreaker. Those are the two best putter plastics on the market, in my opinion. And they feel almost identical.

Funny, but the reason I chose the jawbreaker plastic was because it really reminded me of the classic blend from DD.

I don't ever remember my judges feeling slippery.

You know what just dawned on me though? It could possibly be the whole Covid thing causing this. Seriously. I think I would occasionally lick my fingers to get a little moisture on them before I putt. I have made a point not to do that in recent months. Might have to experiment with adding a little moisture to the equation and see what that does for me.

^^Lightly spit on your fingers instead of licking them. It's what I've done since getting a case of salmonella a couple years ago, likely from goose shixt on a disc. Make sure you're downwind of your card mates.

I love JB for putting.

A couple firm taps and a quick wipe with a disc towel (though, usually just the back of the pant leg) and you're good.

***2020 DGCR post of the year nominee***

Unfortunately it's all true. I finally went to the ER after crapping for 3 days while barely eating anything. When the lady at the health department called to tell me I had salmonella, I told her I'd played DG the day before symptoms started. Asked me if there was duck/goose shixt at the course and said they were salmonella carriers.

I've since been carrying hand sanitizer in my bag and use it often. Luckily I had a good supply before the 'rona virus hit.

On topic-banging the disc on your knee will knock a lot of the dust off too.

Re: dust

I always have a towel in my bag. If my disc feels dusty, I just wipe it off.

Unfortunately it's all true. I finally went to the ER after crapping for 3 days while barely eating anything. When the lady at the health department called to tell me I had salmonella, I told her I'd played DG the day before symptoms started. Asked me if there was duck/goose shixt at the course and said they were salmonella carriers.
Preschools need to ban Duck Duck Goose.
Gotta keep kids safe. :|

That's probably my least favorite kind of round of disc golf. One near a lake or river with geese. They s*** EVERYWHERE. I play Mead park in Steven's Point only about once every 5 years for this reason.

I do have a towel and try to wipe the dust off. Sometimes there's more dust on the towel than the disc.

That goose poop is crazy stuff. It's so thick at a couple of the park courses that I play that you'd think I had stepped in something left by a dog because it's so thick on my shoes.

I do have a towel and try to wipe the dust off. Sometimes there's more dust on the towel than the disc.

That goose poop is crazy stuff. It's so thick at a couple of the park courses that I play that you'd think I had stepped in something left by a dog because it's so thick on my shoes.

Barf me out! Groddie to the max!

We have the same problem with geese at Grand Rapids Riverside Park. In fact, one section of the course has a hole with the basket situated on a peninsula, infamously known as Goose Poop Peninsula. I remember one year helping to get the course ready for a tournament. I raked the peninsula for over an hour, to try to clean up the goose poop. It was a tiring endeavor, with minimal results. Really chaps my arse when I see people feeding those cursed "birds" with entire loaves of bread - and usually within feet of a sign clearly stating to not feed the animals.

Barf me out! Groddie to the max!

We have the same problem with geese at Grand Rapids Riverside Park. In fact, one section of the course has a hole with the basket situated on a peninsula, infamously known as Goose Poop Peninsula. I remember one year helping to get the course ready for a tournament. I raked the peninsula for over an hour, to try to clean up the goose poop. It was a tiring endeavor, with minimal results. Really chaps my arse when I see people feeding those cursed "birds" with entire loaves of bread - and usually within feet of a sign clearly stating to not feed the animals.

Sounds over populated... also sounds like a place to go pick up dinner... ;)

Only Flaw I have is when the discs wear in, in Standard Jawbreaker, The Discs get more grip past 90 F and past 100-105 F the disc get sticky to the hands. I got mine in mid 2017 when the plastic was a tad soft. Also I will not let the disc sit out for 5-7 during the day in the sun, the plastic is actually fine when new. I thought I need to do that to the discs when new to make true flat tops like the modern Pro D and it did not really help and the disc while wearing in the initial wear in while putting became flat top anyhow, so no need to fix disc to flat top.

I have had this issue, Jawbreaker is not durable and gets sticky like in my previous post in some runs, Pro D is a tad soft for a less grip plastic, and want the Magnet in Soft X due to the right, the modern Soft Pro D Magnet gets floppy having see others using and then for me is would not be good for a main putting putter. Soft X is what I want the Magnet in but Discraft will not make the mold in that plastic, Soft X is closest to the old pre 2006 Soft Pro D plastic and would be exactly what I want in durability, grip, and firmness like the old Soft X. I know stiff 2000-2005 Pro D is never coming back so I will never ask for that, but a Soft X is made currently and that degree of floppy when broken in is fine for putting as Soft Pro D is then not great for putting.

My X-Soft Ringer GT has a nice soft feel to it without being all flexible like my woodchuck. I really like it, but I'm not sure that I'd actually bag it because I am trying to move away from a dedicated putter for only circle putting. The X Soft gets dinged up just hitting nothing but chains or the basket) and while it feels nice, I can adjust my putting on any given day to either the jawbreaker (if it's damp) or the zflx (if it's dusty) which then makes the x-soft kind of superfluous since I already bag both of the other ones for their respective stabilities.
Prior to moving to the ringer GT as my main approach and putt disc, I used a challenger for putting. I have a stack of challengers in jawbreaker and pro-d. Pro-D has a nice feel to it, but like the X-soft, it gets chewed up in a hurry. I wouldn't mind putting with pro-d if that was all I did with the disc (I also used to putt with a pro-D rattler), but if you throw approaches with it, it will get ragged in a hurry. On the other hand, pro-d is cheap and easy to replace.

Latest posts