• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs faster then its speed rating?

AirMcNair

Double Eagle Member
I just got two new glow teebirds (CAL engraving), I already had one. I was out throwing all my teebirds, KC Pro 10x and 11x, star, CE, and glow, I noticed that these Glow ones seemed to be faster then all of the other ones. I was throwing them about 10-15 ft further.

The question is has anyone else noticed this from their teebirds or any other disc they have?

Could be the fact that they're new. The wear on regular discs will pull a little bit of distance off of them as the imperfections on the disc cause drag.

Are you sure they werent tbird plus? I was doing an innova order for a club and the CFR glow tbirds were a tbird pluss.

I am not saying that is what you have, but it might explain it.

Marshall street and disc golf center have a flick rated at the same speed as a valk. I feel the flick is much faster.

i've noticed similar concepts.

i'm wondering if Innova hasnt figured out a better translucent plastic method and it's actually making discs faster (MPH not disc rating). The Discraft and Lat64 plastics are a lot harder and faster. Lat64 plastics seem indestructible at times and their discs seem to fly really fast through the air.

The most common thing i hear about glo plastic is
"it's a lot straighter and longer than my normal champion." - interestingly enough, most people never mention that it makes them any degree of more overstable.

Talking out loud - i'd love to see how innova's glow rates to discraft elite-z. Think how would a "champion glow Roc" rate against a ez wasp. i'd bet they are almost exactly the same, even more so than they currently are.

Last edited:
Could be the fact that they're new. The wear on regular discs will pull a little bit of distance off of them as the imperfections on the disc cause drag.

That is what I thought as well but the used one I have is just as fast. They are faster then my KC Pros as well.

Are you sure they werent tbird plus? I was doing an innova order for a club and the CFR glow tbirds were a tbird pluss.

I am not saying that is what you have, but it might explain it.

No they are the 11x CAL mold.

Actually it's the opposite. Worn discs almost always fly farther and the Teebird is no exception. In fact, it illustrates this rule really well.

Just going farther might not be a perfect way to measure the speed of a disc. It could be that the glows are a bit less overstable and get that late turn easier than the others and don't fade quite as hard or early. It's the reason worn DX Teebirds usually go farther than Champ TB's.

If you throw them all into a headwind and find the glows penetrate better (don't lose as much D) then they probably are a bit faster. If they get proportionally shorter (like a worn DX TB probably will) or lose the same amount of D than the others then they probably aren't any faster.

Usually when a stable dx beats in and gets understable you can hyzer flip it and get better D. IMO a beat dx will fly similar to the same mold of champion if the champion is lighter. Since the champs maintain their smooth shape there is less drag, resulting in better distance. This is pretty theoretical however I have beat 160ish dx valks and my 150 champ always goes further.

i've noticed similar concepts.

i'm wondering if Innova hasnt figured out a better translucent plastic method and it's actually making discs faster (MPH not disc rating). The Discraft and Lat64 plastics are a lot harder and faster. Lat64 plastics seem indestructible at times and their discs seem to fly really fast through the air.

The most common thing i hear about glo plastic is
"it's a lot straighter and longer than my normal champion." - interestingly enough, most people never mention that it makes them any degree of more overstable.

Talking out loud - i'd love to see how innova's glow rates to discraft elite-z. Think how would a "champion glow Roc" rate against a ez wasp. i'd bet they are almost exactly the same, even more so than they currently are.

I'd have to disagree with this. What I hear most is that Glo plastic is more overstable than their normal counterparts. My limited personal experience (Glow Challenger- very stiff, more OS, Glow Comet, Glow Buzzz, Glow XL, Glow Teebird, etc) seems to back this up, though the Teebird was a + mold, so I'm sure that was the main reason for the difference

I've noticed this ^^^ as well. The Boss comes out of the hand so fast and Katana comes out like a destroyer IMO.

I'd have to disagree with this. What I hear most is that Glo plastic is more overstable than their normal counterparts. My limited personal experience (Glow Challenger- very stiff, more OS, Glow Comet, Glow Buzzz, Glow XL, Glow Teebird, etc) seems to back this up, though the Teebird was a + mold, so I'm sure that was the main reason for the difference

I'll back ya up. The CFR glow is a bit more overstable.

Experience :

Glow Firebird
Glow Gazelle
Glow Whippet-X

This "champion" plastic is much more durable as well. If you dont want a disc to where in so quick, get it in CFR Glow.

I've only got glow vs reg experience in two molds, the buzzz, and the gazelle,

and both glows are definitely more overstable than the normal versions of those discs.

The Teebird + is the reason for it being more stable then normal Teebirds. A lot of glow stuff is more stable then its counterparts. Firebird, Whippet, banshee, Buzzz, and Roc all seem to be because IMO they are flatter. Usually with the discs under a speed of 9 the flatter the disc the more stable it is. That is what I have seen.

One of the Glow Teebirds (just normal Glow white) I have is over stable, the other two that I just received are yellow glows and they are straighter. Perfect combo for a sweet Glow Round.

... the rated speed is the speed required to achieve the intended flight path

sounds like a mental anomaly

Actually rated speed is a relative number that indicates how well a disc will hold it's initial launch velocity. Discs are designed so that they perform well at a given speed range and so faster discs must perform well at a higher speed since they will be traveling fast for most of thier flight. Because slower discs will not hold thier speed very long the turn and glide characteristics are designed to work well even at lower speeds which comprise a large portion of their overall flight.

I believe the speed rating is a function of the depth of the rim, at least in drivers.

Latest posts