• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do I need really understable discs?

jupiterboy

Eagle Member
I'm old/weak/slow and in my third season of frequent play. I've really avoided anhyzer release so far making myself work with hyzer shots.

I was looking at a Mamba, and someone handed me a Wombat to throw the other day, which I chose to not take as an insult.

I thought of the Wombat that I could get that flight with a Buzzz thrown with a bit of anhyzer.

I've got a decent flick shot inside 200.

I do bag two Sidewinders, which are pretty straight disc thrown on hyzer although they do like to wander over to the right. I also use a Star Cheetah for hyzer flip tunnel shots.

I think it is so easy for me to straighten up and release on anhyzer that I've thought I don't need any understable discs.

Now I'm getting more release angle control that I am starting to wonder. Maybe I should work in some lighter weights of the discs I like.

Putting: Nylon Wizard x 2
Approach: Pure White Wizard (the most racist disc ever), Zone x 2 (Z and Jawbreaker)
Mids: Buzzz (Crystal Flex and Z), Star Cheetah
FD: Star Hawkeye x 2, G* Tbird/Champ Tbird, G* Eagle L x 2
D: Star Sidewinder/Glow Champ Sidewinder, Star Wraith x 2

I'm old, and before my shoulder surgery could max out at about 330' (flat ground sea level). I prefer distance drivers that have just a tick more turn and/or a tick less fade than the ones that my younger, stronger brethren throw.

Something like a Sword or a Tempest or a Grace. I'm sorry that I don't know the Innova or Discraft equivalents - I'm sure someone can help you out there

Last edited:
I'm old/weak/slow and in my third season of frequent play. I've really avoided anhyzer release so far making myself work with hyzer shots.

I was looking at a Mamba, and someone handed me a Wombat to throw the other day, which I chose to not take as an insult.

I thought of the Wombat that I could get that flight with a Buzzz thrown with a bit of anhyzer.

I do bag two Sidewinders, which are pretty straight disc thrown on hyzer although they do like to wander over to the right. I also use a Star Cheetah for hyzer flip tunnel shots.

I think it is so easy for me to straighten up and release on anhyzer that I've thought I don't need any understable discs.

Now I'm getting more release angle control that I am starting to wonder. Maybe I should work in some lighter weights of the discs I like.

Approach: Pure White Wizard (the most racist disc ever), Zone x 2 (Z and Jawbreaker)

When did the Cheetah become a midrange?

I am closer to sixty then 59.
I have to almost exclusively light weight drivers with 0 to negative turn numbers.

Soapbox time
More companies need to produce more lightweight disc for us older players, we usually have more $$ then most younger folks...

My putters and mids are mostly older disc from when I was younger, so many are heavy to max weight.

Do I need really understable discs?

i don't understand. you are already throwing understable discs and getting hyzer flips. did you not answer your own question?

Soapbox time
More companies need to produce more lightweight disc for us older players, we usually have more $$ then most younger folks...

57 going on 58 here...Prodigy used to have so few that I was on the verge of giving up my sponsorship over it. Now they have a ton and imo the Air Spectrum plastic is the best feeling light plastic on the market. (I am only partially a shill- if i didn't believe it I would not say it.)

If you're comfortable throwing both hyzer and anhyzer (and have a forehand), you can cover a lot more shots with just stable discs. For me, I'd be lost without understables/hyzerflips, but I also am much more comfortable/consistent throwing hyzer than anhyzer (and my forehand is not something to be counted on).

With that said, even if I had your skill set, I'd still want a couple of flippy discs so I could throw hyzer flips that finish straight. That's the only way I know to throw that shape with anything faster than a putter.

The answer is yes, you should always have a couple of understable discs in your bag.

Example: Sometimes a flick isn't an option and you'll still need a disc to turn right.

Or like people have said, the hyzer flip route is a good option to have in your bag when you aren't 100% confident enough to throw a Mako3 type disc dead straight on a flat line.

Like what? -3, -4 turn discs? What am I missing?
My putters and mids are -1 discs and my main driver is a -2. Nothing crazy or anything. My putters and Mids are mostly heavy, but my drivers have to be light; I prefer 165-6g but I end up throwing up to 170g because I can't find light discs.

I also don't throw fast discs. Speed 9 is as fast as I go. So discs like the Mamba don't even blip on my radar; I'm not going to get it up to speed to get it to flip anyway and it's not going to go any farther than I can throw a Valkyrie, so why bother?

Last edited:
59 going on 60 here.
I have a few understable discs that I use for max distance (300 feet or so:().

I would love to throw more anhyzer, but it's hard on my arm and getting that angle right is just so tricky.

57 going on 58 here...Prodigy used to have so few that I was on the verge of giving up my sponsorship over it. Now they have a ton and imo the Air Spectrum plastic is the best feeling light plastic on the market. (I am only partially a shill- if i didn't believe it I would not say it.)

When Prodigy burst on the scene, I was well stocked with so much Innova, I wouldn't need replacements. Their sponsored players (I knew Phil from back in his Libertyville days, nothing against him, great guy) did nothing to make me interested, really turned me off with their antics as well. That was how many years ago?

Now days my distance and fairways drivers are almost all from the MVP facilities.
MVP, Axiom, Streamline, Mint (hope I am not giving any trade secrets away ;) and some I can't recall right now. I can most always find lighter weights to chose (Mint not so much in low 160's) from.

Have not even looked at Prodigy when in stores or on line, may make that an option though.

i don't understand. you are already throwing understable discs and getting hyzer flips. did you not answer your own question?

Let me clarify this, because it is central. I struggle with the "slight hyzer". On most days I can do a more extreme sweeping hyzer that never flattens out. If I move toward flat, I'm more likely to put more anhyzer than I want on it and screw it up. I'm wondering if I had some more understable approach and mids if I could stay with more hyzer releases and get the same shots? We have lots of low ceiling holes locally, and hyzer flips seem to take a certain amount of height. Hope that makes some sense.

The answer is yes, you should always have a couple of understable discs in your bag.

Example: Sometimes a flick isn't an option and you'll still need a disc to turn right.

Or like people have said, the hyzer flip route is a good option to have in your bag when you aren't 100% confident enough to throw a Mako3 type disc dead straight on a flat line.

You are talking to me here. I like the Mako3, but I'm not reliable enough on my release angle to bag it.

Let me clarify this, because it is central. I struggle with the "slight hyzer". On most days I can do a more extreme sweeping hyzer that never flattens out. If I move toward flat, I'm more likely to put more anhyzer than I want on it and screw it up. I'm wondering if I had some more understable approach and mids if I could stay with more hyzer releases and get the same shots? We have lots of low ceiling holes locally, and hyzer flips seem to take a certain amount of height. Hope that makes some sense.

okay, so it's really a release angle issue for you and you want to get more of a variety of shot shapes while keeping a hyzer release angle, especially what i guess the commentators call a stand up hyzer.

i still think you've already answered your own question. perhaps it's not just understable discs but having a wide range of stabilities to achieve a wide range of shapes.

if you want more specific advice, it would be best to indicate your average throwing distance and come with questions about specific lines you want to throw and the discs that will be appropriate for them.

also, not all hyzer flips need height. for max distance, yes, but you should be able to get a low line to flip without burning

okay, so it's really a release angle issue for you and you want to get more of a variety of shot shapes while keeping a hyzer release angle, especially what i guess the commentators call a stand up hyzer.

i still think you've already answered your own question. perhaps it's not just understable discs but having a wide range of stabilities to achieve a wide range of shapes.

if you want more specific advice, it would be best to indicate your average throwing distance and come with questions about specific lines you want to throw and the discs that will be appropriate for them.

also, not all hyzer flips need height. for max distance, yes, but you should be able to get a low line to flip without burning

Yes, and not just a release angle issue but a training issue. I still feel there's some good in not allowing myself an anhyzer shot, but now I'm on some longer courses than require a turnover shot and I can't get a forehand that far. I'd got to Buzzz, Cheetah or Sidewinder for this shot. I also think I don't know what to do when I get the freedom of no ceiling.

I'm gaining some accuracy in the 280 ft range, with a hope of getting in circle from a tee shot at this distance. I have a bunch of shapes at that range, but at a certain height, like below 15 ft, I don't get much fade, so a Hawkeye and a beat Wraith have a really similar flight with different ground play potential. Into a headwind I'd take the Wraith.

There is a huge difference between hyzer flips at our ability vs hyzer flips that you watch on coverage on the weekends. For me, and I suspect most of us, max distance lines will just end up fading out very early. But for guys throwing in the 300 ft range, it makes no sense going for the big sky shots.

Most of my bag consist of understable discs. Not roadrunner understable, but I do throw High speed understable, low speed over stable stuff to ensure that it won't turn and burn when it is thrown correctly.

At my age, throwing overstable plastic takes too much energy and can lead to injuries.

My drivers are:

Wave: 12, 5, -2, 2
Jet: 11, 5, -3, 2
Mantra 9,6,-2,1

All good hyzerflip discs that don't need too much height to get decent distance

My approach discs, I find myself using a slightly beat in buzz more often now where I used to throw a stable putt and approach.

I carry an overstable P&A (Glow Pilot) if the shot and line calls for it, and I rely on an understable putter (Proxy) for the bulk of approach shots

I play many of the same courses as the OP, and we do have many low ceiling tunnel shots in this area.