• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do I need really understable discs?

so are you throwing primarily FH? what's your distance? what about BH?

so are you throwing primarily FH? what's your distance? what about BH?

Primarily backhand. I throw a FH tee shot if necessary, under 240. I've got maybe 50 ft more than that backhand. Most of my drivers (for me) have about the same distance potential with different shapes and different characteristics in the wind and different ground play. We have consistent wind—Lake Erie/Niagara River. I'm about 240 with a putter, but I need some height to get there.

If I get a 500 foot hole in three I'm pretty chuffed.

I mostly use understable discs for FH and especially BH rollers. For FH rollers when you are in the junk and only have a flick out but need the disc to turn left, this is an invaluable disc to have for that. For BH rollers I don't have the skill to get a stable or overstable disc to roll so understable and beat is the only way to go for me. Most of my discs are understable and I find other than a Teebird (or similar disc) I don't need OS discs. I can make a flippy disc hyzer.

I'm throwing off hand (I'm a righty forced to throw lefty due to disability). Not a lot of people have picked up on Lone Star Discs yet, but their Lima plastic is lightweight and legit. Practically every mold comes in Lima and it's a quality plastic, just a less dense premium oil field grade plastic that doesn't need air injected into it to make it lighter. They mostly come in 150-159 but some reach into the low 160's. Almost always in stock and made the bag almost immediately after testing. Mids all the way up to distance driver options. They aren't flippy like you would expect either, just a slight bit more of High speed turn before their reliable fade as their flight numbers indicate. I've thrown other companies light weight discs with ok but not really impressive results, but when I tried Lone Star's Lima, I found them continuing to find a way into my bag.

I can make a flippy disc hyzer.

This is me right here. I bag a Stag, Roadrunner, 2 Mavericks, 2 Freetails, Uplink, Proxy, Glitch, 3 Northmen.

My whole **** bag is flippy lol

I do bag a Wraith, Firebird, Wasp and Berg too. I'm not normally fighting winds in WI though.

Primarily backhand. I throw a FH tee shot if necessary, under 240. I've got maybe 50 ft more than that backhand. Most of my drivers (for me) have about the same distance potential with different shapes and different characteristics in the wind and different ground play. We have consistent wind—Lake Erie/Niagara River. I'm about 240 with a putter, but I need some height to get there.

If I get a 500 foot hole in three I'm pretty chuffed.

so what do you think is missing from your arsenal? beside distance

so what do you think is missing from your arsenal? beside distance

Floaty, slow turnover. High longer turnover (works OK with Sidewinder/Buzz)

I've got no roller shot, but again my older Sidewinder is getting closer.

One thing to not overlook is how a well hyzered understable disc will penetrate further on the hyzer than a stable disc, it doesn't fall as fast.

Of course my bag is under to stable mostly BH/30% FH. An understable putter or mid is really useful me.

I'm hoping I can beat in one of these Star Hawkeye's to be this disc. Maybe I need something with a bit more turn out of the box

Just turned 50. Love me some premium plastic Underworlds! For me they flip up and go straight for days getting me to that magical 300' number sometimes as an MA-50 guy. 168g seems to be the magical number for me for drivers. I like max weight mids and putters, though. Other flippy stuff is great, like Z-Heats (or beat ESP Heats for really big turnovers), and I'm good with ESP Avenger SS's (correct plural spelling there?) on my most powerful RHFH shots, flipping up to flat, gliding, and fading right.

I was in a tourney at Brewer Park (mostly open) and got my ass handed to me by a 63-year-old in distance, like 50' or more. Coach Craig, if anybody knows him. We tied for the event because I was perfect in C1 and my upshots were very good all day. But I decided I wanted to try flippy fast stuff if I'm going to compete against the best MA-50 type players and have had some success with a 165 MVP Orbital, a 168 Streamline Jet, and just got a 170 Axiom Vanish that I got to 300' with a forehand last night!! That's getting somewhat close to what I did with max weight Whippets, X-Clones and Banshees (oh, my) 25 years ago. Another 50 feet and (a) I'll be where I was in 1998, and (b) my arm will fly off with the Disc and flop around on the ground like a fish out of water...

Last edited:
it sounds like you got to really know your current stable to over stable discs. which is a great thing!

it's tough to try something new and learn it especially if you have limited time or want to have something trusty to score well on a course.

i was like 95% left handed backhand when i started and lucky enough for a innova sponsored pro friend (who could throw 450ft OS destroyers all hyzer) right from the beginning teach me but one crutch i came out of that mentorship was that i will revert to a very over stable disc (like a fresh star destroyer) even on tight or open distance shots because of how reliable the flight and my muscle memory is from learning that arm slot is.

eventually (after 2 years)i committed to learning a sidearm and throwing a lot less stable stuff and even with sidearm (like sidearming dx aviars, comets, or flat top rocs 150-200ft on anny, or even straight or hyzer).

i tanked a lot of casual rounds trying out new stuff (like throwing flippy discs and sidearms) but it was worth it in the end because sometimes a line needs an under stable disc.

Last edited:
Just turned 50. Love me some premium plastic Underworlds! For me they flip up and go straight for days getting me to that magical 300' number sometimes as an MA-50 guy. 168g seems to be the magical number for me for drivers. I like max weight mids and putters, though. Other flippy stuff is great, like Z-Heats (or beat ESP Heats for really big turnovers), and I'm good with ESP Avenger SS's (correct plural spelling there?) on my most powerful RHFH shots, flipping up to flat, gliding, and fading right.

I was in a tourney at Brewer Park (mostly open) and got my ass handed to me by a 63-year-old in distance, like 50' or more. Coach Craig, if anybody knows him. We tied for the event because I was perfect in C1 and my upshots were very good all day. But I decided I wanted to try flippy fast stuff if I'm going to compete against the best MA-50 type players and have had some success with a 165 MVP Orbital, a 168 Streamline Jet, and just got a 170 Axiom Vanish that I got to 300' with a forehand last night!! That's getting somewhat close to what I did with max weight Whippets, X-Clones and Banshees (oh, my) 25 years ago. Another 50 feet and (a) I'll be where I was in 1998, and (b) my arm will fly off with the Disc and flop around on the ground like a fish out of water...

Man I loved me some (original) whippets and x-clones back then.

Man I loved me some (original) whippets and x-clones back then.

I carried a lighter weight 164 Whippet for decades as my tomahawk Disc. I don't do overhand baseball-type stuff anymore, but that pinkish/maroonish one was in my bag from like '97 to 2012.

Once the Banshee came out the only Whippet I threw was a 9X KC one.

The X-Clone was the first Disc I could forehand past 300' after Mark Ellis helped me. Three tree hits, though, and it was time for a new one.

Give me a Z-Heat and a VIP Sparkle Underworld these days...

I carried a lighter weight 164 Whippet for decades as my tomahawk Disc. I don't do overhand baseball-type stuff anymore, but that pinkish/maroonish one was in my bag from like '97 to 2012.

Once the Banshee came out the only Whippet I threw was a 9X KC one.

The X-Clone was the first Disc I could forehand past 300' after Mark Ellis helped me. Three tree hits, though, and it was time for a new one.

Give me a Z-Heat and a VIP Sparkle Underworld these days...

Yep- I used to throw a ton of overhands with the whippet- shoulder hurts now just thinking about it.

Not to assume your financial situation but if you can afford a couple new discs it never hurts to try something really US. Maybe order up a couple DX lightweight sidewinders if you like that mold.

Not to assume your financial situation but if you can afford a couple new discs it never hurts to try something really US. Maybe order up a couple DX lightweight sidewinders if you like that mold.

I carry one that gets action maybe once a month for extreme RHBH turnovers. A beat-to-hell one has become my young adult daughter's favorite thrower, perfectly straight for her.

Floaty, slow turnover. High longer turnover (works OK with Sidewinder/Buzz)

I've got no roller shot, but again my older Sidewinder is getting closer.

I'm hoping I can beat in one of these Star Hawkeye's to be this disc. Maybe I need something with a bit more turn out of the box

yeah, more understable out of the box to learn these shots. mess around with some DX leos

Everyone needs understable discs, if not for actual play at least for practice.

Nothing dials your form in quite like being able to feel the stability or lack thereof in release angles. Understable discs can be the most unforgiving and simultaneously the most important to see where you are wrong in your swing and release.

Stable and overstable discs have significant utility in masking bad release angles and most people can work this into their game without much effort to obtain specific repeatable shot shapes(zone/destroyer/firebird type disc throwers I'm looking at you). There's nothing wrong with that until you are trying to push distance. Understable distance driving is where you start to see your own limitations in your swing.

Until you start to hit high hyzer flips that don't finish with fade there's not much need to move up in disc stability or wing width for straight line driving distance in low wind or no wind, most people would significantly benefit from learning from their own shortcomings in release angle and most would immediately gain distance simply by slowing down and digging into that clean nose down breakout release necessary to make an understable disc fly without off axis torque.

Yes, get a Mamba. They are fantastic. They are far more useful, and get a LOT more distance, and also accuracy for my 52 year old arm than my Wraiths.

I carry some but I rarely use them. Mostly just beat up versions of my stable discs.

Examples:

Beat Proxy, beat Hex, beat Crave, an Insanity, and a beat Mayhem.

Only one was understable when new, the Insanity.

I throw a lot of flicks, and can usually manage to shape most right turning lines with a forehand or a backhand anhyzer.

I don't find very many situations where I absolutely need to throw a turnover, fh or bh, to shape my line.

That said, it's an essential skill to have on the course. In fact I'd so as far to say folks ought to learn forehand turnovers too, not just backhand.

As far as rollers go, I prefer throwing stable to slightly understable discs on a steep anhyzer. More predictable than throwing something really flippy closer to flat, and they roll longer and straighter than the flippy discs.