• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you read reviews or just give them thumbs up?

sillybizz

Course bagger and Bjork super fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I'll be honest, when I see a reviewer I like who has reviewed a course recently I haven't played, I give them the thumbs up without reading the review sometimes. Not all the time but sometimes. I always read new reviews of courses I've played however. There are times I write a review and 5 minutes later there are 5+ likes on it and I wonder if people are actually reading it or just seeing a diamond reviewer reviewed something and gave it a thumbs up.

I'll be honest, when I see a reviewer I like who has reviewed a course recently I haven't played, I give them the thumbs up without reading the review sometimes. Not all the time but sometimes. I always read new reviews of courses I've played however. There are times I write a review and 5 minutes later there are 5+ likes on it and I wonder if people are actually reading it or just seeing a diamond reviewer reviewed something and gave it a thumbs up.
For the longer ones, I don't necessarily read the whole thing. Example would be the most recent review of Harmony Bends. I read maybe a quarter of it, which was enough to know it was helpful, and earn a thumb. I'm sure when the time comes to plan my trip to Harmony, I'll read the whole thing, and come away with more useful nuggets.

I'm definitely not just giving a thumbs up based on name recognition. There's a particular diamond reviewer where I thumb up less than half of their new reviews because the others are very brief and not all that informative IMO.

For the longer ones, I don't necessarily read the whole thing. Example would be the most recent review of Harmony Bends. I read maybe a quarter of it, which was enough to know it was helpful, and earn a thumb. I'm sure when the time comes to plan my trip to Harmony, I'll read the whole thing, and come away with more useful nuggets.

I'm definitely not just giving a thumbs up based on name recognition.
Basically same for me. Definitely can't say I read every word of every review. I'll usually read it all the way through if it's a course I have played, or am planning to play. Otherwise I just scan it to see if it WOULD be helpful, if I were trying to decide whether to play the course.

There are a few trusted reviewers that use the same format every time they review, which makes scanning the reviews quicker and easier. Really knowing where to look for the helpful information. Whether it be simple bullet points meat and potatoes style or the long winded narrative type doesn't matter if they keep them consistent and cover the helpful to someone wanting to plan a trip to play it. Every reviewer has their own style so I don't nitpick that, just was it helpful and/or did it tell me something I didn't already know. Definitely personal pet peeve of the 3 lines or less U-Disc style reviews that don't provide any actual feedback beyond "good course". So to answer the initial question, it depends on who writes the review and if it's a course I know or am interesting in playing if I read all of it in depth, cliff notes browse it, or barely proofread almost it entirely (more so content amount and length than the reviewer who did it).

I read reviews when I am traveling and looking for courses to play. They are not scintillating short stories. They are not Pulitzer threats. The authors shall not find fame and fortune.

Thumb (all the time). Skim (sometimes). If I need more info to prepare myself for a course, then I'll read just enough (infrequently).

Nobody ever mentioned the ChatGPT review I posted for a course, meaning nobody ever read that one.

I scan them to see if the they actually tell me something about the course and how it plays.

As Pastor of Muppets said, some reviewers have a default format that makes it easier to find the what you want to know. I really appreciate that.

Last edited:
I do most of my review reading on the throne 💩, off line on a kindle. I was gifted with speed reading, found out in grade school. So I quickly go thru reviews, and other readings. When I come online smartphone is when I thumbs up reviews or not for those that provided nothing. Also I'll take a moment to read reviews that were newly posted.

Unusually read it, for the most part we actually have some reasonably talented writers here.

Always read reviews on courses I've played and reviewed, but went on a kick there where I was skimming and giving out about 3000 thumbs up to trusted reviewers and others who actually had something to say. For the overly brief 'reviews', I actually tend to read them in their entirety to be sure I don't see anything I deem 'helpful', then ignore them (I only give out an 'unhelpful' if the writer really shared something that was counterproductive, mean-spirited, or really off-base).

Just my personal opinion...

Many DGCR reviewers (and I'm guilty of it myself), provide too much detail, resulting reviews that feel more like essays. Maybe it's partly an effort to not write a U-Disc type review, but it can be hard to glean what you want from long reviews.

Lengthy reviews may turn some readers off, particularly U-Disc users coming to DGCR in search of more realistic course ratings, only to be confronted with a reading assignment.

While it's been a while since I've written some reviews, I've consciously made some attempt at conciseness in the last 20 or so reviews I've written.

I think its good to describe a few holes that stand out for one reason or another, but I've never been a fan of including a description of every hole.

Maybe reviews should be written like summaries you'd write for your manager. "Just tell me what I need to know to decide which courses in the area I should (or shouldn't), spend my limited time playing.

Just my 2¢.
Feel free to tell me it's not even worth that much.

Last edited:
Just my personal opinion...

Many DGCR reviewers (and I'm guilty of it myself), provide too much detail, resulting reviews that feel more like essays. Maybe it's partly an effort to not write a U-Disc type review, but it can be hard to glean what you want from long reviews.

Lengthy reviews may turn some readers off, particularly U-Disc users coming to DGCR in search of more realistic course ratings, only to be confronted with a reading assignment.
I think a lot of people probably share this opinion - and I have explicitly encouraged a couple of newer reviewers who write shorter but helpful reviews, that they are contributing and can continue to contribute to the site in a positive way without writing an 1,000 word essay for every course.

I'll probably personally keep writing my essays though. :LOL: I just have fun doing it, and if I'm not having fun then what's the point? Or something like that.

Many DGCR reviewers (and I'm guilty of it myself), provide too much detail, resulting reviews that feel more like essays.
Really, essays for reviews? People should tone it down and write less.

mean girls hiding GIF

I skim through a lot of them like other's have said, unless it's a course I've played before or some other well known course.

I like to see different styles of reviews though. There's not one right way to do it. I will say that I also don't care for hole by hole breakdowns in a review. That's just not helpful to me. Anything else is game.

Is this just an excuse for @sillybizz to start half assing some reviews? Hmmm.

Nervous Cat GIF by sheepfilms

I'm definitely not just giving a thumbs up based on name recognition. There's a particular diamond reviewer where I thumb up less than half of their new reviews because the others are very brief and not all that informative IMO.

I'm working on it man. Things that take time take time. Cut me some slack. :p

Is this just an excuse for @sillybizz to start half assing some reviews? Hmmm.

Heck I thought I was already! I switched to the concise, one line bullet point style a WHILE ago because I got tired of writing long winded reviews. I expected to get some thumbs down but instead it seems people enjoy that more, who knew? Actually I need a few more thumbs down, it's been a while. I don't feel like I'm being honest enough if I only get thumbs up. Yes I'm serious. Please feel free to give me thumbs down if you disagree with my review or find it unhelpful, I don't take such trivial things personally.

I'm working on it man. Things that take time take time. Cut me some slack. :p
Lol. I knew I shouldn't have included that part. The last thing I want to do is give the impression that I don't appreciate all the great info each and every diamond has added to this site. I know you and silly aren't taking it that way, but just in case anyone did.

Latest posts