• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Does Blizzard Plastic Break Down Faster?

Widdershins

Double Eagle Member
The more air the weaker the plastic? Or no?

What is your experience? Does Blizzard plastic break in sooner or shatter and crack sooner? Does it even gouge or scrape easier?

If anything, it seems really flexible. I've chucked my Boss into a couple of trees, and it didn't seem to phase it. Now, I'd imagine winter cold could be a different story altogether.

Seems pretty durable to me, but only time will tell and I haven't thrown them that much.

Johnny has officially made an impact here. I almost skipped this because the title sounded like something he would post. Damn it.

My Blizzard doesn't get dents and gouges like baseline plastic does but It does seem to get scrape marks very easily from landing on rocks or pavement.

They seem pretty durable to me. I have 4 Blizzard Wraiths and 1 Destroyer. I am thinking they are somewhere inbetween Star/Champ and Pro, in terms of durability. Closer to Champ/Star than pro, however.

I did find that, cosmetically, they were fine. But they did beat in more quickly and become flippy -- I know they're more sensitive due to the lighter weight to begin with, so it wasn't a great fit for me. It was wonderful when I was getting back into playing after a hiatus, but once everything started to tune up and come back, it wasn't great that they were understable.

The GF bombs them now, though.

It's less durable than regular Champion. My experience with the Boss and Destroyers have been good though. They're significantly more durable than Pro plastic. I've straight rocked a few of them straight into obstacles and had less warping occur in the wing than some Star/ESP drivers I've thrown.

Haven't heard of any shattering yet.

I've only got two but they're holding up really well. Both of mine have smooth, untextured surfaces and while it does seem a little less durable than normal champ, they're none the worse for wear yet. Super flexible but thus far no puddling or warping at all and they both seem to have the same stability they did when new. I've seen some of the textured ones that look a little ratty now. One thing I saw early on and that almost kept me from buying any blizzard at all was that the flight plate is so thin that it's easily punctured. Tree thorns claimed two blizzards last spring at one of our courses. I finally caved in to the idea of a good floating driver so I bought a couple and am glad I did.

Agreed, when they hit concrete I think they scuff more like pro plastic.

Was that before or after they moved the bubbles to the rim?

I got both of mine while they were still doing both. There were only a few of the textured varieties in the stacks I went through and I passed on those just because of that roughness...didn't like the look, feel, or aerodynamic qualities of that. Probably won't buy any more blizzard, but if I feel like I need to and the plastic is still all rough and wonky like it seems to be now, in later runs of blizzard, I'll just pass and look at a throw away Lightning floater or something.

The ones with bubbles on the plate hold up well and look great but fly like crap in anything under 150. The ones with bubbles on the rim Ive found to be much less durable but they fly better. Which, I should point out, does.t make much sense to me. Shouldn't it fly better if there is MORE weight on the rim?

I digress.

I would say unless you're really banging your discs off boulders and trees you should be fine.

The ones with bubbles on the plate hold up well and look great but fly like crap in anything under 150. The ones with bubbles on the rim Ive found to be much less durable but they fly better. Which, I should point out, does.t make much sense to me. Shouldn't it fly better if there is MORE weight on the rim?

I digress.

I would say unless you're really banging your discs off boulders and trees you should be fine.

I have one of each, bubblewise. People keep bringing it up, but Dave Dunipace and plenty of others have said/shown that the proximity of the bubbles doesn't affect the flight. It should on paper, but it doesn't in practical life. My experiences agree with that. There are good reasons for this, one of which being that wide-rimmed drivers are already pretty inherently gyroscopic and the minute amount of weight removed/displaced by bubbles isn't enough to appreciably affect it.

Also, since blizz discs have varied so much in several ways, it's not so wise to make blanket statements like you just did about weight, flight, etc. Both of mine are sub 140 and are fantastic...Destroyer is just like a max weight one and the Wraith shaped up exactly like it should have, although it's a bit less stable overall. But they've been all over the board...all stabilities, all weights, all molds. You just need to be comfortable shopping for one you want or be comfortable with drawing straws.

Last edited:
Holds up good against trees, but gets a lot of scrapes and gets dirtier much easier than my other clubs. It also got 3 thorns last time I played when my other discs got none. Which is strange cause I only used it on 2 shots.

I have one of each, bubblewise. People keep bringing it up, but Dave Dunipace and plenty of others have said/shown that the proximity of the bubbles doesn't affect the flight. It should on paper, but it doesn't in practical life. My experiences agree with that. There are good reasons for this, one of which being that wide-rimmed drivers are already pretty inherently gyroscopic and the minute amount of weight removed/displaced by bubbles isn't enough to appreciably affect it.

Also, since blizz discs have varied so much in several ways, it's not so wise to make blanket statements like you just did about weight, flight, etc. Both of mine are sub 140 and are fantastic...Destroyer is just like a max weight one and the Wraith shaped up exactly like it should have, although it's a bit less stable overall. But they've been all over the board...all stabilities, all weights, all molds. You just need to be comfortable shopping for one you want or be comfortable with drawing straws.

Agree that it's not wise to make blanket statements. My bubble plate Boss (136g) flies incredible AND it floats just fine too:) My other Boss is a 169g Star and both the Blizz and Star fly exactly the same for me (except Blizz goes a touch further). But as far as durability...don't know. I only throw my Boss discs in wide open shots that need over 350' so I don't really hit trees or gravel or pavement with them. They both still look pretty good:thmbup:

I threw my 137g Bliz Boss into a small pine tree 15' from the tee pad and put a pin head size cut into the rim, but the young tree had a disc wide gouge in it. I also threw it on a hard anhyzer into a chain link fence rode the fence then skipped off and still held the anhyzer before fading out 50' later. not one scratch after riding a chain link fence which would have tore a DX disc apart literally.

It's very tough!