• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

does flight platter change in below freezing temps?

IMO I always thought I couldn't get the distance out of a disc I could when it was warmer. I always found myself clubbing up to reach holes I could normally reach with a roc or buzzz.

it might a little bit, but its more likely that bad footing and heavy coats/layers are the culprit

To me personally I throw with a lot of spin and I think the colder air makes my spin less effective. As a result the disc feels more 'dead' in the air (less float) and I usually find myself clubbing up to compensate. I'm not an aerospace guy though so ymmv

I have wondered the same thing since I had been told in the past from several people that you can't throw as far but have gained a lot of distance since the fall.... Layers definitely do limit you quite a bit, but some under armor and something to block out wind seems enough down into the low 20s.

the only difference is you wear more clothes. Buy some good, lightweight winter clothes and you will be throwing just like you do in the summer.

Poor footing leads to awkward runups too, and that'll affect your throws. Combine that with bulky clothes and cold hands and it's really hard to get the same results you do during warmer months.

The air density increases with colder air. So all things equal on your release, your distance will progressively drop off as the temperature drops and disc will turnover a little more out of your hand.

The air density increases with colder air. So all things equal on your release, your distance will progressively drop off as the temperature drops and disc will turnover a little more out of your hand.
Considering I've made some huge gains in distance in the last month or so, this makes me excited for summer to come around .. lol

Latest posts