• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

Wonder if these threads ever convince anyone to use a leash. I rarely see a dog on-leash at the course. Even if enforced, what's the fine? Maybe $50?

I bet if you told the dog owner that he/she had to read every page of every Dog thread on this site, that he/she would be glad to go out and buy several leashes just to "make it stop".:wall::D *says that after reading the entire thread*

I'm sensing a viable business opportunity here. Short term dog leases, or dog rentals. I could see many clients that might benefit. That young family that isn't sure they're ready for a dog but just want to try it out. Or maybe they know they want a dog, but they want to try out a few different breeds. Maybe an older person that wants some company in the warmer months, but doesn't want to worry about the dog when they go to their winter retirement village in Arizona. That college student that knows dogs aren't allowed, but is going to sneak one into the dorm anyway, but won't have anywhere for it to go when it gets kicked out. That disc golfer that wants to annoy other disc golfers by walking around courses without a leash but doesn't have a dog to do so...

A dog lease would come without much of the hassle of dog ownership - food, toys, training, clean up, bathing, kenneling, vet visits, etc could all be covered by the leasing company. As the leasing company I would get to have a whole farm full of dogs to play with.

All dogs should be leafed. If a person comes to the park and sees you running around with a unleafed dog, they will feel more entitled to let their dog off its leaf. Just play within the park rules, it helps society keep it together.

Bottom line:
"LEAF your effin pups always in pubic."

I knew a guy who named his dog Twice. When asked why he called him Twice he said, "Because he never comes when I call him once".

Couple of thoughts that haven't been covered.

First, if there are leash laws in the jurisdiction where you are playing, and the park is public, keep your dog on a leash for the sake of all of us. I've been playing disc golf for 16 years, much longer than most. There is a lot of time and effort that goes into getting a course established on public property. Unfortunately, many folks in the communities may not like disc golf and are looking for any reason to bring it before a city/county commission to have it removed. I'm serious when I say that allowing your dog to go without a leash, despite whether or not you think it is a "well behaved" dog, jeopardizes the course. That's just a fact. I can assure you that public courses have been pulled for much less than dog bites, and those of us who've been around for a while understand. If the course is on private land and the owner is cool with a dog, by all means. But in a public park, they need to be on a leash or at home.

Secondly, I am an insurance executive by trade. Currently, the largest claim my company is facing involves a vicious dog attack. There are about 15-20 breeds of dogs that are excluded from most homeowners insurance policies. An HO policy does cover your liability stemming from activities outside of your premises. This was one of the excluded types of dogs, however, the underwriter allowed the dog because it was a professionally-trained service dog. The owner took the dog to a park and sat down on a bench to read. A child, age 6, was walking her small dog, which was on a leash. The parents were only a few feet away, and they assumed a service dog was obedient. The service dog bit the small dog, killing it instantly, and in it's fervor curled the child into the fray as the leash was wrapped around the child's wrist. The service dog then continued to maul the child until the parents were able to wrestle the service dog off. The resulting damage was nearly 7 million dollars in medical bills and plastic surgery. The child did survive. The owner was an old rich guy with a huge Umbrella policy so he had enough insurance that the company is covering the entire claim. All that to say, dog attacks are a huge issue. Most people think they have coverage for their animals, but if you have a Pit bull, Rottweiler, Akita, German Shepherd, unless you have a specific endorsement on your policy, you don't have coverage in the event of that liability loss. And if you're a renter, I can guarantee you don't have enough liability coverage for any dog attack regardless of what type of dog. Bottom line, anytime you let the dog off the leash, you could be setting yourself up for HUGE financial ruin. On top of that, you could be sued for negligence and hit with punitive damages as well. It's not worth it, and I see these claims daily. Be smart.

That is one heck of a cautionary tale. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sensing a viable business opportunity here. Short term dog leases, or dog rentals. I could see many clients that might benefit. That young family that isn't sure they're ready for a dog but just want to try it out. Or maybe they know they want a dog, but they want to try out a few different breeds. Maybe an older person that wants some company in the warmer months, but doesn't want to worry about the dog when they go to their winter retirement village in Arizona. That college student that knows dogs aren't allowed, but is going to sneak one into the dorm anyway, but won't have anywhere for it to go when it gets kicked out. That disc golfer that wants to annoy other disc golfers by walking around courses without a leash but doesn't have a dog to do so...

A dog lease would come without much of the hassle of dog ownership - food, toys, training, clean up, bathing, kenneling, vet visits, etc could all be covered by the leasing company. As the leasing company I would get to have a whole farm full of dogs to play with.

Pet leasing is actually a real thing:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ido-lawmakers-look-ban-pet-leasing/615348002/

So when you're mongrel comes charging up to my dog that never leaves my side when commanded to, I don't have a right to complain? That's utterly ridiculous!

You've never met a well-trained dog then. It's not necessarily surprising, outside of hunting dogs, I've never met one either. They're probably pretty rare to see in a park or DG course.

They exist for a reason, for idiot dog owners, who typically don't obey them anyway. Pretty much the same reason as most laws, to protect us from idiots (who generally don't obey them anyway).

So I have to leash my dog to protect someone else's disobedient unleashed dog?

Proof that entitlement is real and that its shroud is very difficult to see through.

All of this reminds me. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Except for chihuahuas.

...and those dogs that look like mini dobermans...

I h8 those dogs...lil barking spazzes

nyah..

Whomever owns the property you are on makes the rules whether it be public or private. I allow free dogs at Hawk Hollow provided they are not cattle chasers, then I don't. Violators make me really mad as they put our livelihood in jeopardy. Sidenote: it is legal in Virginia for me to shoot your dog if it is chasing my cattle.

When I lived in SC I was forced to shoot a dog which broke in to our goat pen. It had killed one goat and was working on another when I killed it. It broke my heart but was perfectly legal and necessary.

Whomever owns the property you are on makes the rules whether it be public or private. I allow free dogs at Hawk Hollow provided they are not cattle chasers, then I don't. Violators make me really mad as they put our livelihood in jeopardy. Sidenote: it is legal in Virginia for me to shoot your dog if it is chasing my cattle.

What if your cattle is chasing my dog? Can I shoot your cattle?

Latest posts