• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

It's not the title, it's the whole post. It's about dog leases

The more I think about this, leasing a dog just isn't worth it. Sure, it sounds great. Have a dog! At lower costs! Small down payment! Then, a few years go by and the lease expires.. and you're stuck paying huge milage penalties. With nothing to show for it, to add insult to injury.

I had always thought of disc golfers as a loosey-goosey, tie-die-wearing, controlled-substance-partaking community. Quite a shock to find out what a bunch of rule-following sticklers we apparently are.

At least with regard to dogs and leashes . . . :D

Why lease when you can buy?

I got to this party way late... but I don't even think you need to buy. There are plenty of good dogs out there that you can get for free or maybe on an interest-free loan with a lenient return policy. If they're too expensive to buy, it doesn't seem wise to get dogs on leases.

When I lived in SC I was forced to shoot a dog which broke in to our goat pen. It had killed one goat and was working on another when I killed it. It broke my heart but was perfectly legal and necessary.

I personally have never had to shoot one. Other members of my family have though. When I was a kid there was a pack of wild dogs in our area- I remember my Dad shooting several of them over a period of time.

On a tangential note- there is a big sign on Rt 522 near here that says "dog killer next door" in huge lettering. Next door is a farm- while i don't know the facts of the matter they are pretty easy to imagine.

...and why I asked. The good doctor does know how to spell though... and I know how crappy these smartphone keyboards are...

*misses blackberry*

A little kid was attacked at a local park where I play, luckily there were enough folks to pull the dog away, the owner didn't have it on a leash. Now the city put up several signs with the leash law on them and stating leash law in effect, however it does no good. Most folks around here are just out in the field and their dogs behave well, but there's always a few that are idiots and cause problems.

...and those dogs that look like mini dobermans...

I h8 those dogs...lil barking spazzes

nyah..

Qualifying statement: For several years when I was younger, I travelled the state as a "floating" meter reader for the electric company. I probably have more one-on-one experience with more dogs(at least in the thousands, and possibly tens of thousands) than anyone that anyone in this thread has ever met.

While every dog is an individual and should be treated as such, certain breeds really do have their tendencies. Labs are the nicest. Never once had one even come close to trying to bite me. But those stupid min-pins or whatever they are called are bar-none the worst breed of dog on earth. There were no exceptions. They all had Napoleon Complexes.

Side note- you'd be surprised how many owners have told me to watch out for their dog that bites right after I just finished petting it, or even told me how well-behaved their dog is right after I had to chase it off or at least continually face it to keep it at bay. Dogs are still a somewhat unpredictable animal and especially don't always act the same way when their "alpha" isn't present. Except for min-pins. They truly suck and I honestly think less of people who own them.

A couple weeks ago we had a stretch of unseasonably warm weather, so I took my youngest kid with me to the little 9 hole course and pushed him around in his stroller. A foursome with a 70+ lb dog let me play through on the first tee. Dog was leashed so thought nothing of it. Well one hole later the dog comes flying at me and my kid, leash dragging behind him, and jumps up at my son in his stroller. I was not a happy daddy, and yanked that mutt off him with probably a little more force than was absolutely necessary. Owner comes up and gives the typical spiel that they all do..."oh, he's harmless...won't happen again I promise...my dog loves kids and is so well behaved..." After the FOURTH time that he ran after us and tried to jump into my kid's face, the owner finally just went back to his car with the dog and drove away.

I'm a dog owner. So I get it, you want to hang out with your furry buddy. But there's got to be a better way of doing it than at a disc golf course. And if you absolutely just can't stand the thought of being parted with Fido for an hour or two, then you better keep that dog firmly leashed at all times. No exceptions.

A couple weeks ago we had a stretch of unseasonably warm weather, so I took my youngest kid with me to the little 9 hole course and pushed him around in his stroller. A foursome with a 70+ lb dog let me play through on the first tee. Dog was leashed so thought nothing of it. Well one hole later the dog comes flying at me and my kid, leash dragging behind him, and jumps up at my son in his stroller. I was not a happy daddy, and yanked that mutt off him with probably a little more force than was absolutely necessary. Owner comes up and gives the typical spiel that they all do..."oh, he's harmless...won't happen again I promise...my dog loves kids and is so well behaved..." After the FOURTH time that he ran after us and tried to jump into my kid's face, the owner finally just went back to his car with the dog and drove away.

I'm a dog owner. So I get it, you want to hang out with your furry buddy. But there's got to be a better way of doing it than at a disc golf course. And if you absolutely just can't stand the thought of being parted with Fido for an hour or two, then you better keep that dog firmly leashed at all times. No exceptions.

This discussion is another leg of the argument that there are two general classes of people;. Those whom take responsibility for their actions and those whom think they are absolved from any responsibility.

You showed great restraint. I don't know that I would have been that calm with a threat to a little ones safety.

This discussion is another leg of the argument that there are two general classes of people;. Those whom take responsibility for their actions and those whom think they are absolved from any responsibility.

You showed great restraint. I don't know that I would have been that calm with a threat to a little ones safety.

The dog seemed friendly (obviously overly so) and the owner was genuinely embarrassed that he couldn't keep his dog under control. Otherwise I would've been a lot quicker to escalate the situation. Even still, it had me on edge since I didn't know the dog. One second a dog can be jumping into a stroller and licking a kid's face, and the next who knows what it's going to do.

Qualifying statement: For several years when I was younger, I travelled the state as a "floating" meter reader for the electric company. I probably have more one-on-one experience with more dogs(at least in the thousands, and possibly tens of thousands) than anyone that anyone in this thread has ever met.

While every dog is an individual and should be treated as such, certain breeds really do have their tendencies. Labs are the nicest. Never once had one even come close to trying to bite me. But those stupid min-pins or whatever they are called are bar-none the worst breed of dog on earth. There were no exceptions. They all had Napoleon Complexes.

Side note- you'd be surprised how many owners have told me to watch out for their dog that bites right after I just finished petting it, or even told me how well-behaved their dog is right after I had to chase it off or at least continually face it to keep it at bay. Dogs are still a somewhat unpredictable animal and especially don't always act the same way when their "alpha" isn't present. Except for min-pins. They truly suck and I honestly think less of people who own them.

Face it to keep it at bay is dead on. Small dogs, for the most part, will only bite you as you are walking away with your back to them. I know by experience because of my job.

Proof that entitlement is real and that its shroud is very difficult to see through.

It's a hypothetical, I don't even own a dog. I just don't get all the butthurt over someone walking a well behaved dog off leash.

If my dog stays with me and doesn't bother you, why do you care if it's on a leash or not?

Because, despite what you believe, when your dog sees something it wants/to attack any training it has means squat to evolutionary instinct.

That's completely false. It might be true for your average house dog, but it's certainly not true for any well trained working dog. If that was the case they would be completely useless for hunting.

I agree with keeping dogs on leash in public parks. Like everything else in the world, everyone has to abide by this law for it to work. Many dogs get very defensive when they are on leash and they are approached by an unleashed dog.

If both dogs are leashed, or both unleashed, there won't be a problem. But if one is leashed and the other unleashed all bets are off. It isn't a matter of training or not having control, it is a matter of the leashed dog not having an out.

Latest posts