• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking at tournaments?

Drinking during a tournament?

• Should not be allowed?

Votes: 107 46.5%
  • TD descresion?

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Should be allowed?

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • Doesn't matter to you?

Votes: 44 19.1%

• Total voters
i never play well when I drink. just doesnt mix for me. dont care if my competition does tho. dont think it helps their game.

I enjoy a Sonic vodka limeade during a round from time to time. Casual event drinking does not bother me, except when some drunks are holding up my card. The amusement value wears off pretty fast. If it brings the cops around, I would rather keep the event dry.

Last edited:
John Daly most certainly DID drink at PGA tournaments. At the PGA Championship that he won, he pretty much polished off a beer at every tee during the final round to "calm his nerves". He even has stated that he does not remember hoisting the Wanamaker trophy. The PGA does not dictate what the players can or can't do (other than illegal activities). If you want to smoke a cigarette or cigar, you can do so. If you want to have a drink, you are more than welcome to. The volunteers will be more than happy to go get you a beer, martini, or whatever you request. Most PGA players choose not to because there is too much at stake.

That being said, I understand that not all disc golfers have the ability to act like professionals after a few beers. It's not like we have millions of dollars at stake and a bunch of generous sponsors to worry about. There is no way to determine who is responsible enough to drink at sanctioned events, so therefore it is not allowed. Once again, this is a case of 1 or 2 bad seeds ruining it for everyone else. If you are a responsible drinker and feel that a couple drinks calms you down and makes you play better, then just mix up something with some vodka and put it in a water bottle. Problem solved.

As for non-sanctioned events, if the park allows alcoholic beverages then there is nothing you technically can do other than not allow them to enter the tournament...and what is going to stop them from hanging around drinking anyway.

Maybe they added the rule but it is against the rules now...

Nope. I don't drink and I don't have a problem with drinkers. Although the last thing I want to see is drunk people playing disc golf or any other sport for that matter.

If it isn't allowed, then smoking shouldn't be either (i have no idea if it is or isn't as i'm new to the game). Alcohol only affects you, smoking affects everyone around you.

There should never be any drugs or alcohol during a sanctioned round. If it is non sanctioned or practice then to each his own.

If it isn't allowed, then smoking shouldn't be either (i have no idea if it is or isn't as i'm new to the game). Alcohol only affects you, smoking affects everyone around you.

It isn't allowed at a lot of tourneys now.

Casual round? Sure! Have a brewski or twoski, When theres cash on the line, should probably keep it as professional as possible.

it doesnt say anything about a pdga event in the original post right?

ithink if its a C tier or less its the TDs choice, but B tier or higher and there should be no alcohol because people that might frown upon it might actually see it at those tournaments. people showing up to watch a C tier are gonna be drinking anyway

Last edited:
You people talk about image. Who's showing up to watch how the 3rd to bottom card in INT does? Drink if you want, it's your money you're losing. I don't have a problem with kicking out someone who can't handle their booze either. I've never seen anything like that happen, though. I think DGer's can police themselves relatively well.

I voted "Doesn't matter to you?" because I'm not sure? I'm Ron Burgundy?

My decision to not want alcohol at tournaments has nothing to do with image and who is watching. To me, it is distracting to be playing with loud, drunk people. Everyone doesn't behave this way when drinking, but it is easier to control if no one is allowed to do it. Some people don't mind because they feel their competitors will play worse when intoxicated, but habitual drinkers can actually play worse when sober. When they are used to drinking and are denied to do so in tournaments, I have seen them struggle to stay calm and blame it on not being able to drink.

During the last tournament I played in, the leader in my division had been drinking all day Saturday and had a 4 stroke lead. The TD told him Sunday that he could not drink anymore, and he complained about it all through the round and blamed his poor play on the fact that he could not drink. He ended up losing by one stroke. Alcohol is a depressant, after all, so it can help nervous people calm down and play better. JMO

I don't care. I don't drink while I play, but I have been known to "smoke" on occasion. As long as the drinkers keep it cool (have a couple, not 1 per hole) and don't throw their empties on the ground, I don't see the big deal.

They probably should discourage drinking etc in the big event tournaments though.

it should be allowed in between rounds and after the tourney. there is nothing more satisfying than popping open a cold one after a miserable hot first round

Personally, I like having some beers while I'm playing. I'm not concerned with making the PDGA into the image of the PGA, so I would love to be able to drink during a tourney. That being said:

Players that are drinking would be subject to all of the same courtesy violations that sober players would be playing under.

If the guy's obnoxious, loud, or rude he would get infractions regardless of his state of sobriety.

I've played with plenty of rude dudes that were stone sober.

Besides, if the guy gets sloppy it'll effect his score. The onus is on the drinker.

I don't care. My 1st 1000 rated round was after drinking a Rogue Chocolate Stout in between round.

As long as the guy they call Drunk Ass Mike doesn't show up, I think it's ok. But NEVER during a PDGA round.

and I know a player who had a cocktail for the entire rounds at USDGC......

Latest posts