• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking at tournaments?

Drinking during a tournament?

• Should not be allowed?

Votes: 107 46.5%
  • TD descresion?

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Should be allowed?

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • Doesn't matter to you?

Votes: 44 19.1%

• Total voters
As long as I can smoke whatever I want at a tournament ... and if not, then no, I don't want to play DG with drunks/alcoholics. If you can't make it through a round of DG without a beer, you are an alcoholic.

I have a simple rule on my cards, do whatever the f you want, drink, smoke, whatever I don't care, BUT don't slow me down, don't blow it in my face, don't talk when I throw, follow the rules and we'll get along just fine. Get high and be a Chatty Cathy (like yesterday at a tourney) and we will have words. No the story about how you threw a 9 on this hole isn't any better the 5th time I have heard it.

For those players who do have kids either tagging along to watch their "Hero" ......."You" play disc golf or old enough to play now, it would completely disturb me if my son was offered a drink, while playing a tournament. Mini events are a different story and if you don't want your little man or little girl around that, you can move to another hole and control your situation. As for a tournament, if your put on a card with players who do not care who is around and do not see the influence they are showing by drinking in front of kids, then you have to speak up. I've even seen players try to pull out a whole bag of "smoke" in front of my own son, until I flipped out on them. It all depends on the tournament being thrown, if you want an event well respected.......keep the beer for before the round, during lunch, and after the round. Too many players treat a tournament like its the local mini event.

Is drinking in front of kids a bad influence? It's not against the law. Binge drinking and acting stupid while drinking would be a bad influence but I don't see having a beer in front of kids to be a bad thing. Showing kids that you can have a beer without getting ****faced might actually do them good before they get to their college years.

We once were at a course where a local tourny was going to be held and even some pro's flexing before their round had beers in their hands and obviously smoking trees at the tee pads. Not to mention throwing multiple drives over our heads and before we holed out as well as holding us up to the point we just left the course. We had never been to one and wondered about playing in this but due to the image portrayed and lack of professional organized feeling we decided not to take part-- Now we are fellow DG'ers just think what some random person, kid, parent etc would have felt. I drink and smoke PLENTY but like many have already said here there is a proper time and place for it all.

In all honesty though, alcohol is actually pushed pretty hard at many ball golf tournaments. There's the clubhouse bar, the cart girls, pop up tents made into bars at many tee boxes, etc. simply because it's a huge money maker.

Granted, at the more serious tournaments it's usually only pushed to spectators and then post round to the players. But it is as much a part of the sport as the classy gentleman downing mint juleps at The Kentucky Derby. You're expected to maintain a classy level of conduct, but there certaintly is not a tournament director trying to curtail drinking at most tournaments.

I'd say the biggest difference is that many disc golf tournaments are held in public parks where drinking is not allowed. In that case, even if it is a pretty casual tournament or league night, players really need to practice discretion with whatever they choose to do so the city or whoever else has the rights to the land doesn't view the disc golf crowd as a headache.

Latest posts