• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drinking at tournaments?

Drinking during a tournament?

• Should not be allowed?

Votes: 107 46.5%
  • TD descresion?

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Should be allowed?

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • Doesn't matter to you?

Votes: 44 19.1%

• Total voters
Our unsanctioned tourney series usually has a keg posted at one of the holes. It's more relaxed even though there is still good competition. I have no problem as long as you are respectful and not belligerent.
During the weekly at Lava Creek two of the Oroville boys were wasted and they had a golf cart. They ended up flipping it and the course designer perma banned them from the course. I was laughing, but they weren't.

I'll have an occasional beer between rounds depending on my mood (and if I remembered to put them in the cooler) but never during a round. I feel like one helps loosen me up and I'm more relaxed. Every once in a while during casual rounds with friends I'll bring a beer or two but not all the time. As for the empty bottles, I save them cause I make beer and am in constant need for empties.

2.jpg

Man, I dont play ball golf, but this would ALMOST persuade me.:hfive:

I don't care. My 1st 1000 rated round was after drinking a Rogue Chocolate Stout in between round.

As long as the guy they call Drunk Ass Mike doesn't show up, I think it's ok. But NEVER during a PDGA round.

and I know a player who had a cocktail for the entire rounds at USDGC......

DAM's up your way now? I was wondering why I hadn't seen him around Seneca in awhile.

tournys are competitive events played for prizes. people should be professional.

New Orleans still making waves

No one can understand this unless you've been here for awhile but everyone drinks and publicly, honestly the idea of a park not allowing alcohol is funny.

I have had a drink before a first round in a tourney to calm the nerves. One of my buds had some buds of both types before and during the same tourney, messed him up and he finished just out of the money. He's been playing sober since and has been destroying. I personally don't care and wouldn't have more than 1 maybe 2, but I think the rules should just be around conduct. Drink, Smoke whatever, but if you start acting like a douche or slowing the card down, you'll be asked to leave. We had a guy on our card once who held us up to "go to the bathroom, in the woods" turns out he was puffing the wacky tobaccy, and then proceeded to forget his score after every hole and lose track of what he was doing.

I voted 'doesn't matter to me.' And it doesn't! I don't drink while I play, but I know many who do, and whatever. The guys that drink and play in tournaments are not the type to be throwing their trash all over the course anyway.

As long as it's discrete and people aren't getting wasted I could care less.

This I would be fine with. What you have in you unmarked container is your business. I just feel that having beer cans/bottles on the course during a tournament doesn't look good for the sport. Also I imagine if the course is at a public park with play sets and what not eventually someone is going to complain about the drinking, whether it be tourney or not, and that could put the course itself at risk. Last thing city politicians want is angry mothers complaining about something.

Damn those angry mothers! Maybe they wouldn't be so angry if they had a couple?

I'm all for letting people do as they will, less rules the better, especially on personal freedoms. I'm all for cart girls, too! If we could get Coors or Fat Tir to sponsor would people not go and would they not have product placement? If you can't handle your booze you should probably not be playing in tourneys and drinking. I'm not a fan of TD's saying what players can do, there are penalties for bad conduct, let the drinkers and smokers face those, let the community police itself.

You don't see pro golfers on tv smoking and drinking. It's an image thing, and making those things against the rules is a necessary part of getting the image of disc golf tournaments ready for prime time. I don't know of anyone who has been DQd for having alcohol on their breath or blown pupils. And nobody is asking players to take breathalizer or piss tests. So the effect of the rules is to keep drug and alcohol use invisible. And I think that's the intent as well. And if parks departments find their parks littered with beer cans after tournaments, that's going to make it harder to get tournaments hosted at nice parks. So it just makes sense to have those rules.

I believe that it will hurt the growth of the game. I'd love to see DG go National and pick up some much needed attention and respect. It says a lot about the tournaments when they are professional and classy.

I say no and most people in my club would want to kill me for that but when everyone shows up drinking it really gives a club a bad name. I like serious disc golf.

In MN you can get a ticket for being drunk in public, most parks do not allow alcohol or tobacco, and it seems like there really is no NEED to be drinking during your round. Smoking is different and am less opposed even though I do not smoke cigarettes those also are purely just an image issue as I doubt anyone is getting high off a cig. and the illegal stuff, well that's illegal, pretty easy one. Sure casual drinks could be enjoyed at a tournament, specially for some places who would/could sell to the players and benefit from the revenue but to preserve the games image, courses and continued growth, its best to keep those things out of major events. Tobacco and alcohol companies used to be HUGE sponsors of many different venues/sports until the owners realized what type of image was being portrayed and now you hardly ever see them as a MAJOR/MAIN sponsors.

Latest posts