• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driving putter help!

Jaylikesbeer

Bogey Member
Looking for some help finding a new understable driving putter to add to my lineup. Something I can hyzerflip to turnover. I currently drive with a VIP westside harp for OS, VIP westside shield for straight, and Soft gateway shaman for turnover. Looking for something to replace the shaman cuz I can't keep buying more! Premium plastic only please. All advice welcome. Thanks.

Looking for some help finding a new understable driving putter to add to my lineup. Something I can hyzerflip to turnover. I currently drive with a VIP westside harp for OS, VIP westside shield for straight, and Soft gateway shaman for turnover. Looking for something to replace the shaman cuz I can't keep buying more! Premium plastic only please. All advice welcome. Thanks.

Lucid Judge
Opto Pure (really straight potter, very good, very recommended)
Gold Line Pure (I haven't tried this yet; it may be more understable than the Opto Pure)
Fluid Warden (until the Opto comes out)

How far are you throwing your Shield? What is an understable suggestion for some may not be appropriate for you.

How fast are you going through Shamans? I've thrown them a bunch and got several months of hard use out of them before they're rollers. But their thin rims do encourage tacoing on full power tree hits.

How far are you throwing your Shield? What is an understable suggestion for some may not be appropriate for you.

Any hole under 250 I am throwing a putter. My shield and harp are getting me there, but on my local course I need an US shot since I don't flick well. Or at all to be honest unless it's a super OS disc.

How fast are you going through Shamans? I've thrown them a bunch and got several months of hard use out of them before they're rollers. But their thin rims do encourage tacoing on full power tree hits.

I play wooded courses and they last for a while but sometimes they get destroyed and taco out. A lot of rocks take chunks out too. I do love my shaman it's just the plastic gets killed. My harp and shield in VIP are still in great shape.

I haven't tried tons but I agree with Opto Pure. I'm not a big putter off the tee guy, cuz I enjoy under-throwing mids. But I almost aced today with a Pure turnover

PA4 or Vibram Summit. I've bagged both. I didn't like how the PA4 felt in my hand, so we never connected :)

I use the Summit (and it's OS brother, the Ridge), so that is my US throwing putter. On Putter Only rounds, I'll hyzerflip the Summit.

The Vibram rubber is pretty indestructible. I prefer the firm for summer use, but the medium in the winter (I could live with medium all year long).

I throw the GL Fuse for the anhyzer shot (I can't FH) - and underthrow it for finese shots. I guess I could hyzerflip it, but I don't.

You might consider a shorter mid for that shot. I know I definitely get more consistent negative turn with a slightly faster disc. My choice is the Theory. It's not a super fast mid, so it could work for you.

Prodigy PA4 in 400 or 400g. I use a 750 PA4 and it will hyzer flip but not turn over. Just stays dead straight. I've got a couple 400 PA4's that I've been able to hyzer flip to slight turnover.

You might consider a shorter mid for that shot. I know I definitely get more consistent negative turn with a slightly faster disc. My choice is the Theory. It's not a super fast mid, so it could work for you.

I was thinking along these lines also. Most of the premium putters I can think of are stable, not understable.

Prodigy M5, Stingray, etc is where my head was at.

Evo Magic might fit the bill but honestly, a Pa4 in 400g is probably what you are looking for. It's not a crazy hyzer flip machine but it will hold looooong slow gliding turnovers at 250 feet all day.

Too bad they don't make a VIP Swan Reborn because if you want something to really hyzer flip to turnover, that's where it's at.

Last edited:
Good call. A Mirage also might work well.

The Mirage is understable, but it is touch-y. It really is more of a full mid speed-wise than an approach/putter disc, and turns over when any kind of power is applied to it. Throwing at half-power, or just enough form to get it properly out of the hand, and it will exceed one's glide expectations and often overthrow the target.

Ergo, the OP might want to just work with one of the other suggested putters before trying a Mirage...

Evo Magic might fit the bill but honestly, a Pa4 in 400g is probably what you are looking for. It's not a crazy hyzer flip machine but it will hold looooong slow gliding turnovers at 250 feet all day.

Too bad they don't make a VIP Swan Reborn because if you want something to really hyzer flip to turnover, that's where it's at.

These two are nearly identical btw.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I will be going to my local shop on Saturday to feel some of these suckers up. Anyone try out an Innova Colt? As for using and US mid I've been trying my Westside Tursas and been overshooting and inaccurate so I'll stick to that for situational shots.

Latest posts