• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with putters

ZDotHalbach

Eagle Member
So I am starting to drive with putters but I just can't get it right. When I release it from a standstill it leaves my hand with a bunch of OAT. And if a X step is thrown in there it is even worse. How can I fix this? I don't want to throw it a mile maybe 200 feet at best. I use a 174 SSS Wizard and a 173 S Ion. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

How do you hold it? Starting throwing slow, then increase the tempo. You are going to need this shot so it is great you want to learn it. Do you drive with mid ranges? don't think of it as a drive. Go out on a field and put your bag out 200 feet and throw at that. This is an upshot and you can hold it like a driver with a power grip with all fingers for the most grip and distance, or you can use a fan grip with the finger pads extended on the bottom of the middle of the disc-you get good control but not the mowt ditance. You're going to come accross a 230-250 foot hole down a tube of trees and a putter will get you there straighter and won't skip past or to the side much at all. As with all practice use an open field and experiment with hyzer and anhyzer releases to see what your putters do. I use Innova Aviar base plastic (DX) big beads for this shot. Very controllable and won't fade out (stable). With the taller rim than most other dirvers you fingers might stay on longer and create the OAT or grip lock, so practice.

Slow it down. Smooth is far. You are probably trying to force the disc when it should be finessed. Throwing putters will help with correcting your form as they aren't very forgiving to oat or nose up.

I use a power grip and I could drive with mids on 7 out of 9 holes on my home course. I think tomorrow I will slow it down because I do believe that I am forcing it. Thanks for the help!

Also, give the fan grip a shot. I throw voodoos, and don't have very big hands, so the deep rim really screws me when I try to use a power grip. With a fan grip I can still get them out over 300' golf distance, so don't sleep on it because you think "it's impossible to get good D with a fan grip"

Do lots of field practice. Also, try different putters. Some putters just drive better than others. I have found that my Soft Focus is a great driving putter, and I can send it about 220ft. On holes that long and shorter, I use a putter

In another thread I got a lot of advice to go out and start playing only with putters. I thought I might do this tomorrow, but for some reason I feel like driving with a floppy putter will just lead to frustration and rage. You CAN drive with a soft putter right? The few times I've tried it got all wobbly looking in the air.

I use a stacked grip on almost all my putter throws, and have started using it with mids as well.

This one:

forkgrip01.jpg

Last edited:
Practice with frisbees. Bit of hyzer into a very high shot without stalling it. The trick is to get it up there and let the glide get you your distance. It's a very diff. throw than a driver throw. Do it with frisbees, and you'll be set for life.

some good advise has been given but you dont need to change putters. wizards and ions are two of the best driving putters out there. as far as grip, i have a ton of trouble trying to drive a putter with a power grip so i switch to the fan grip for more control and get my challengers and wizards out over 300 easily. like people said smooth is far so dont try to rip it at least until you are getting a feel for things. go do some field practice and mess around with different release angles and grips, find what gets you good results and repeat.

Wizards and Ions are great, but have you given the Magic a shot? I love my Voodoos and Wizards, but the Magic is the easiest Gateway putter (or possibly any putter) to throw straight and far with hardly any power. Same goes for the Anode for MVP.

Does anyone have any advise in regards to the hyzer flip? Sometimes I have problems with nose up when I try to drive a putter with a hyzer flip. I guess I'm looking for anything you do to help you keep nose down in that situation.

I don't really have a problem throwing a pure hyzer nose down typically only when I try to get a disc to flip up flat and fly straight.

TIA

It depends on what kind of putter your trying to hyzer flip. Obviously a VP is going to be a lot tougher to flip than a beadless Aviar.

Does anyone have any advise in regards to the hyzer flip? Sometimes I have problems with nose up when I try to drive a putter with a hyzer flip. I guess I'm looking for anything you do to help you keep nose down in that situation.

I don't really have a problem throwing a pure hyzer nose down typically only when I try to get a disc to flip up flat and fly straight.

TIA

Putters are generally the least nose angle sensitive discs around. If you're having problems with them stalling out, you're probably dealing with a general nose angle issue that isn't specific to driving putters.

If it's only your putters, I'd look specifically at the differences between your putter throw and your normal throw. If it's everything, I'd check your thumb placement, pull line, and shoulder plane. Sometimes people also have this problem if they're throwing off their back foot.

There isn't really a trick to throwing a hyzer flip. You throw an understable (for your power level) disc on a hyzer with enough speed that it turns (flips) up to flat. If it flips to far, throw with more hyzer or less speed. If it doesn't flip enough throw with less hyzer or more speed. Basically, all you're doing is using an initial hyzer angle to compensate for the high speed turn of the disc to keep it straight instead of right. However, if you're having serious nose angle problems you probably aren't getting much high speed turn to begin with.

Latest posts