• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with putters

I guess I just need to work at it. It's not just my putters it seems whenever I try to pull of the hyzer flip I change something in the way I throw and release with some nose up. when I throw flat I can get the disc to have the high speed turn I really only run into the problem when I'm trying to get a disc to flip up to flat instead of turning. I appreciate your input and I'm sorry if I thread jacked.

You might be giving it the hyzer angle by moving your arm or wrist. Ideally you want to lean forward so that your shoulders are still in the same plane as your pull line. The vast majority of your throw is the same.

I just went out a played a putter/mid round. I drive with Star P/A Aviars...my problem was that I kept turning them over when I tried to push them out around 200+. Sorry, not trying to jack your thread...but I am thinking the more you begin driving with putters, you will eventually run into this same problem.

So I am starting to drive with putters but I just can't get it right. When I release it from a standstill it leaves my hand with a bunch of OAT. And if a X step is thrown in there it is even worse. How can I fix this? I don't want to throw it a mile maybe 200 feet at best. I use a 174 SSS Wizard and a 173 S Ion. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Make sure your grip is good. For a power grip your fingers need to be on the inside of the rim, but don't necessarily need to be touching the flight plate. Here's a bunch of other stuff to check:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Keeping the disc below the seam of the hand isn't quite as important with putters. Just experiment until you find something that meets all the critera and works.

Also, throwing pure hyzers that don't flip helps. Start off as short as you need to wand work on pushing them out farther and farther.

mjoyce said:
Does anyone have any advise in regards to the hyzer flip? Sometimes I have problems with nose up when I try to drive a putter with a hyzer flip. I guess I'm looking for anything you do to help you keep nose down in that situation.

I don't really have a problem throwing a pure hyzer nose down typically only when I try to get a disc to flip up flat and fly straight.
What discs are you using, how beat are they, how much hyzer are you putting on them and how far are you throwing them? It could be that you have a pretty clean (OAT free) throw and they're flying correctly, but just not how you expect.

I use my Dart sometimes for the tunnel shots off a tee. You HAVE to keep it flat if you want to place it correctly. I can get about 200 out of it with a power grip. I have smaller hands so I can't fan it very well.

What discs are you using, how beat are they, how much hyzer are you putting on them and how far are you throwing them? It could be that you have a pretty clean (OAT free) throw and they're flying correctly, but just not how you expect.

I'm mostly trying to do this with under stable discs. star leopard, lat 64 core, lat 64 rivers. I'm pretty confident in saying I do have a pretty clean OAT free throw. I really don't turn and burn anything and I can get ~ 275-300' of distance on a smooth teebird throw. (I know not bombing) With the same flat release with the leopard, or river I'll get some turn and gentle fade. I think I might be pulling through in an upward motion instead of pulling flat across my chest when I'm trying to hyzer flip a disc.

I'm mostly trying to do this with under stable discs. star leopard, lat 64 core, lat 64 rivers. I'm pretty confident in saying I do have a pretty clean OAT free throw. I really don't turn and burn anything and I can get ~ 275-300' of distance on a smooth teebird throw. (I know not bombing) With the same flat release with the leopard, or river I'll get some turn and gentle fade. I think I might be pulling through in an upward motion instead of pulling flat across my chest when I'm trying to hyzer flip a disc.
If that's the case then this article might help:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml

Make sure you aren't reaching back flat and then scooping down to get the hyzer angle. That can cause nose up.

Fan grip. Use your body. Start short, work to long. In that order. It's a must have shot.

Everybody here has forgotten to tell him one important detail (didn't click links so forgive me if they covered it there)

Putters and Drivers throw differently! You can't try to SNAP a putter like you would say...a Destroyer.

Putters almost always need a small bit of hyzer, and they need almost more of a push motion than a hard snap.

Putters also need to be slightly nose up, just slightly though don't overdo it. They also need more height so sometimes it's easier to get a pull through motion higher on your chest to throw them well.

In the end just practice practice practice. Learn to throw the disc itself, don't try to manipulate the putter to throw like a driver. Another thing that helps is playing catch with a friend, start 30-40' apart and slowly work your way out to 200' or so...then eventually even longer. You'll figure out how to throw it to them without burning it or leaving it short, then you'll go to the course and surprise yourself.

Today's report:
Went out to the course with 4 discs today 2 Buzzzes and my putters. I used the advice that I got here and applied to my game. The Ion flew quite well getting it out to 170 ish with minimal effort and some but not much OAT. The Wizard had the same amount of OAT but was getting out to 185 and almost aced the 185 footer at my course (just a bit to much hyzer). All in all I was very pleased with the results today and I will keep practicing to get it near perfected.

Everybody here has forgotten to tell him one important detail (didn't click links so forgive me if they covered it there)

Putters and Drivers throw differently! You can't try to SNAP a putter like you would say...a Destroyer.

Putters almost always need a small bit of hyzer, and they need almost more of a push motion than a hard snap.

Putters also need to be slightly nose up, just slightly though don't overdo it. They also need more height so sometimes it's easier to get a pull through motion higher on your chest to throw them well.

I'm no technique guru, but I disagree with most of that. I learned how to throw far by learning to throw a putter over 300', then throwing a driver exactly the same. I often throw putters on a hyzer, but with a clean throw you can throw flat or anny with a putter just fine (i.e. an anhyzer that carries and doesn't just turn and burn). Putters are tolerant of nose angle issues, but you won't get big distance with the nose up.

I read on one of the forums about throwing putter-only rounds, because they reveal form problems much more glaringly. Again, my form isn't conventional, but I found the few times I have done this on my local course, from the short tees (4500 ft), it was a huge help to the rest of my game. Before the first time I tried, I NEVER would have thrown a putter for anything except a putt; I always trusted my midranges. But having a 200' upshot I can hit with either of the VooDoos I have in my bag has been a blessing. In fact, I might go toss a putter round this weekend. :D

I love driving with my anode....it gets out there! Zone is also a very lovely disc to drive with but it will mask some of your bad form.

Check out MikeC's video on how to throw a putter, it's dead on perfect.