• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dx Destroyer Throws Like Champion Sidewinder

swiftchariot

Good afternoon!

I'm pretty new to the sport and a bit of a disc whore. I recently bought a 163g DX Destroyer and it turns over quite easily (no dings yet). I know what your thinking, it's 163g that's why it turns over! I also have a star orc 163g that will not turn over. Consequently I hyzer the destroyer and throw flat the orc. My question is, does the plastic really make that much of a difference? Or did I get a weird Destroyer?

It's light, it's dx, it's a destroyer.

Not worth looking into more than that. I reccomend finding some used, inked, star destroyers to throw. They'll fly the same for months.

The plastic (DX) comes out less stable than others...Star is the true destroyer flight...Pro's in between.

The destroyer is also notorious for having all sorts of different 'versions' that tend to fly anywhere from "Meathook overstable" to "Holy **** is this thing flippy."

Its part of the fun (or insanity - depending on who you ask) of being a Destroyer thrower.

Yeah DX plastic is far less stable. Champ Sidewinders can be surprisingly stable as well, compared to star and Gstar.

If you jump up to a new star Destroyer you will probably be in unthrowable meathook land if you are a newer player. Gstar or Pro for a Destroyer is a better bet if you want to see what they fly like and have under 400' of power (or a used star as was mentioned).

Isn't it fun? Ya, get a Star Destroyer, that is a lot more representative of what you would expect. You will be able to crank it and it'll still fade back.

Good afternoon!

I'm pretty new to the sport and a bit of a disc whore. I recently bought a 163g DX Destroyer and it turns over quite easily (no dings yet). I know what your thinking, it's 163g that's why it turns over! I also have a star orc 163g that will not turn over. Consequently I hyzer the destroyer and throw flat the orc. My question is, does the plastic really make that much of a difference? Or did I get a weird Destroyer?

and while you're there go ahead and look over all their videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcF5G-LKpw1sku5HLsVaJw/videos

My question is, does the plastic really make that much of a difference? Or did I get a weird Destroyer?

Yes, plastic can make a difference.

I have a DX Destroyer that I throw on occasion and at the range, mostly to get it beat in and see what use I can make of it. Mine is not as understable as my Star Sidewinder.

I had always thought that more shrink would result in a higher plh and not the other way around. Seems that the material on the flight plate would contract and pull the rim inwards and upwards.

Don't suppose it matters though since the result in flight is the same regardless.

I got a couple posts into this,and started preparing my PLH speech.
But you guys have it covered.

I had always thought that more shrink would result in a higher plh and not the other way around. Seems that the material on the flight plate would contract and pull the rim inwards and upwards.

Don't suppose it matters though since the result in flight is the same regardless.

Maybe. I would think shrinkage like flattening out of the dome would raise PLH.

But the underside is shrinking, also, and that pulls down on the top part; ergo, the lower PLH.

It's light, it's dx, it's a destroyer.

Not worth looking into more than that. I reccomend finding some used, inked, star destroyers to throw. They'll fly the same for months.

cjman has the right idea. :thmbup: Used premium plastic can even be purchased for about the same price or cheaper than new DX discs. There are some great molds in DX if you really like the feel of it. I would definitely recommend trying out any of the putters, any of the mid ranges, and the overstable, slower drivers like Teebirds, Eagles, Banshees, firebirds, vipers, gazelles, etc. in DX.